Mateo still has hopes to line up for Blues

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Mateo still has hopes to line up for Blues
Jamie Pandaram and Glenn Jackson | June 16, 2008

FELETI MATEO has not given up his ambition to play State of Origin this year, despite officials claiming he has missed a deadline to change his eligibility from Tonga to Australia.

One of the form players in the competition over the past three weeks, the Parramatta playmaker said if he comes into calculations for NSW for game three he would submit an application and make himself available.

"My priority is to play for NSW and Australia, I have just been trying to keep my options open because I can't bet on making Origin and change my eligibility and then not be available for Tonga in the World Cup," Mateo told the Herald last night after guiding the Eels to a comprehensive 44-6 win over Wests Tigers.

Mateo believes that if he submits an application before the series decider on July 2 he will be granted selection for the Blues. But that has been contradicted by ARL chief executive Geoff Carr, creating a confusing scenario should Mateo be considered by NSW coach Craig Bellamy.

Carr said: "Before the [Rugby League] International Federation meeting I spoke to his management and asked if he wanted to be considered for NSW and Australia. To switch his selection he needed to apply at the time and he didn't."

The Herald understands Mateo has a strong chance of being granted the right to lodge his application.

"For sure, I would like to play Origin but whatever happens, happens. I am happy with the way I'm going," said Mateo, who has four tries, seven line breaks and 12 try assists this season.

Mateo is proud of his Tongan heritage and does not want to change his eligibility unless he's certain Bellamy wants him, as once he switches from Tonga to Australia he would be ruled out of representing the island nation at this year's World Cup.

Mateo has played two games for Tonga and would dearly love to figure in their Cup campaign. Should he change eligibility and not be picked in the Australian squad he would have to watch the tournament from the sidelines, which would not be ideal for the player or the game, as organisers want competitive matches and lower-tier sides to field the best possible line-ups.

Tongan coach Jim Dymock believes Mateo will play for his side in October and November, but said Tonga would give him permission to play for NSW.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so SBW can't play origin but this guy can? How is that fair on SBW, now I understand why SBW says he want's to play origin AND RIGHTLY SO!

The way he is going though I reckon he might even be Australia's 5/8th in the World Cup should Lockyer not be there, even if he doesn't play for NSW.

In other words Mr Mateo you want both your cake and to be able to eat it?
He is proud to play for Tonga but will piss off at the drop of a hat to play for NSW and Australia! [eusa_naugh
This one article sums up why origin is such a huge road block in the expansion of rugby league as a world game.

Jebadude said:
The way he is going though I reckon he might even be Australia's 5/8th in the World Cup should Lockyer not be there, even if he doesn't play for NSW.

I actually reckon that after origin 2 the selectors will go with a Prince/Thurston partnership in the halves with no Lockyer.

Unless their still in love with Bird, (i suppose that Stuart is the coach, so they may very well go with that grub) [icon_razz1

bfoord said:
Jebadude said:

I actually reckon that after origin 2 the selectors will go with a Prince/Thurston partnership in the halves with no Lockyer.

Unless their still in love with Bird, (i suppose that Stuart is the coach, so they may very well go with that grub) [icon_razz1

If lockyer is fit, he will be chosen 100%.

bfoord said:
Jebadude said:

If lockyer is fit, he will be chosen 100%.

IMO, origin should be AUSTRALIANS ONLY! otherwise its seriously weakening the world game.

I read an article the other day about how Mateo's allegences were to Tonga. He can't play for both...

Frank the Tank said:
as much as sonny bill williams is, sure. and mateo.

I think you'll find that Mateo was actually born in Australia.

SBW circa 2004: I am a Kiwi and will play for New Zealand.
Hunt circa 2004: I am an Australian and will not play for New Zealand.
Inglis circa 2005: I am a Queenslander and I will play for Queensland.

Noticing a trend here?

All we need to clarify here is whether Mateo is saying "I am a Tongan and will play for Tonga again", or "I am an Australian and will not play for Tonga again" or "I am an Australian, and will play for Tonga in the World Cup, but will be putting my hand up for Australia in 2009 and beyond".

So far, there's contradicting stories.

Frank the Tank said:
as much as sonny bill williams is, sure. and mateo.

Hunt is an Australian, of Maori/Islander descent. Much the same as we're all bastard children of other places, really.

Frank the Tank said:
since when did being born in Auckland make you an australian of maori/islander descent?

Dunno, but you might want to also ask the Auckland-born Willie Mason while you're there?

For all legal purposes, Hunt is an Aussie. Ho-hum, you should really check out just how many Australian citizens were born overseas, Stu.

Hunt went to school at Algester primary school. He's been in Australia for a long time.

This is an argument that always amuses me. Out in the general community, most Aussies would get annoyed at someone born overseas who becomes a citizen or lives here all their life, but still considers themselves to be from their country of birth. Hunt moved here when he was a kid,he grew up here, he considers himself to be an Aussie. That should be enough yet for some reason when it comes to footy, it seems to come down to where you were born, regardless of where you grew up or your citizen status. Mick's exactly right, how many 'Aussies' were born overseas? But they're still Aussies nonetheless. SBW was born in NZ, and considers himself to be a kiwi. That's his choice as it is Karmichael's to consider himself a Aussie. As Coxy mentioned, if you make one decision, that has to be it. You can't pick and choose as it seems Mateo is trying to do. Hunt made his decision, there was never any doubt in his mind that he is a QLD'er and an Aussie, that's all that matters.

Totally agree Emma.

But, all in all, my favourite part of this is that Frank/Stu again, without prompting, happened to introduce Hunt into an argument. It's gold!! Like Perez Hilton whinging about the papparazzi!

Hunt chose to move to Australia at age 11, so he's lived actually half of his life here now. He became an Australian citizen, went to the end of primary and all of high school in Australia, played his first senior footy in Australia and then pledged his allegience when there was basically no hope in hell of him becoming a rep player in years and years.

FTR, I have no drama if Mateo wants to play Origin. He, too, is an Aussie IMO. People have to look beyond skin colour and last names when it comes to nationality! It's all about where your head and heart is.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Broncosgirl
  • Financeguy
  • jd87
  • Foordy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • kiwi2
  • Cavalo
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Mr Fourex
  • Broncorob
  • Allo
  • levikaden
  • ezpz
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Justwin
  • something
  • MrMoore
  • Skathen
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.