Mateo still has hopes to line up for Blues

I actually think Frank is secretly obsessed with Karmichael, the old 'me thinks you doth protest too much' theory. There has to be some kind of explanation as to why Frank's thoughts turn to Karmichael at every opportunity, when a mere mortal would not be able to make any kind of Hunt reference given the topic, Frank seems to do it with ease, even if it doesn't always have any relevance to the topic whatsoever. [icon_shru

My argument still stands Frank, why are we not ok with footballers who live here all their life or become citizens choosing to play for their adopted country when a lot of people hate it when people become citizens but still say they are Italian, or Greek or whatever? As far as I'm concerned, you become a citizen, you should be proud to say you're an Aussie of whatever descent and that's what Karmichael has done. Why should he be made to play for a country he doesn't actually consider himself to be from anymore? And Mateo can't have it both ways, he basically is saying that if he isn't good enough to play for Australia at the end of the year, then he'll play for Tonga. He's hedging his bets which I don't think should be allowed. I also have no dramas with him playing origin, but he can't have it both ways.

Now back to the topic at hand...I don't know that it would make that much of a difference to the NSW team this year if he was able to be selected. He seems like the type of player that might take a while to get warmed up as far as combinations go so to throw him in for game 3 would hopefully be too late for him to do that. It's also a big ask to throw someone in at that level and expect them to save the series when they've never played at that level. However if he was to get a full season in fine form under his belt, he could be disastrous for QLD next year.

You said he was less entitled to play origin than Mateo, I was simply putting forward an argument as to why he is just as entitled. Just because people like him has nothing to do with him being overlooked in this thread. It was probably more to do with the fact that the thread was about Mateo, not Hunt, and therefore he wasn't mentioned. But you fixed that didn't you? As Coxy said, there's a bit of a difference, he pledged his allegiance very early on and has never wavered. A bit different to someone waiting to see if they're picked before they make a decision. I read your reason, I understand the English of it...but the relevance of it still doesn't wash with me. You seem to think Hunt is relevant to just about every topic. Perhaps if you pick and choose the threads you're going to mention Hunt in a little more wisely, people might take your opinions of him a bit more seriously.

Picking on you? [icon_lol1. How old are you again? I don't 'pick on you' anywhere near as much as others do on this forum, so man you must have a lot of people in love with you!

Frank the Tank said:
nice try, but no cigar. the reasons why i brought up hunt are painfully obvious and very relevant.

every thread i post in you try and have a go at me. its humourous to me as it just makes you look like a little sook. the others that 'pick on me' actually have something to say in their posts most of the time. you dont.
:roll: Every thread? You're downright hilarious. You might want to check before you make a statement like that. And because someone says something in reply to something you've said that they don't agree with, they're a sook? Wow. Arrogant much? But good to know nonetheless.

Frank the Tank said:
i brought up Hunt because i knew hed be the person that people on here would overlook because they love him,

So you're just here to cause shit then??

I hope Mateo can't play. For Qld's sake. He would tear us apart.

TBH Frank is just making a comparison and if he didn't bring up Hunt for this particular topic someone else would of.

If Mateo wants to play for Australia/NSW, let him. I don't think birth should come in to it, if you are eligible for two countries/states you should play who you want to play for. Inglis chose Qld, Hunt chose Australia, Steve Rogers chose NSW. Even if he wants to play for Tonga in World Cup only (and for minows only) and NSW in Origin, I say let him. Campion, Ricketson, El Masri (still plays tests for Lebanon) have done in the past

I agree Spud, you play where your heart tells you to play. My only issue is that he wants to wait and see if he's picked for Australia before making a decision. That to me is sending a bad message to the rest of the Tongan team should he end up playing for them, perhaps leaving them thinking that they were his second choice and only because he wasn't good enough to get picked for Australia.

Frank the Tank said:
i think youre missing whats going on here - i dont have anything against people playing for their adopted country............im actually one of the people saying that they SHOULD be able to play State of Origin if their allegiances lie with Australia [eusa_doh

Dunno if you picked up the wrong vibe from my posts, Stu - but we're completely agreed here. Of course I don't think someone who has never visited Australia should represent us, but as long as they pass eligibility, are an Aussie citizen and love this country - damn well good enough by me! Probably admire them more than I do my own kind - I'm an Aussie by birth, not choice!

The thing with Karmichael is he has played ALL his footy here (never played any footy in NZ) but I disagree on the arguement that he is less entitled to play origin and for Aust on the fact that he made his decision right from the start - he would have been selected to play for NZ sooner than he was selected to play for Aust - but in his heart he knew that he wanted to play for Australia and only Australia, so was prepared to risk having to wait a number of years instead of immediate international representation with NZ. Mateo on the other hand is having a bet each way - will not declare his alligience and risk missing Australian selection and still not being able to play for Tonga. By all means if he comes out and officially declares his allegience to Australia formerly then I would have no problem seeing him play for Australia, but he has to decide now.

Is it only me that thinks he has already declared his allegiance by playing for Tonga?
He would have had the choice at the start I either decide to play for Tonga or Australia he chose Tonga and should now be man enough to stick with it.

That would be fine if Tonga played a lot of international football, but they don't. Hence why they have separate rules for developing nations.

also if you recall both Civoniceva and tuqiri both played for Fiji in the 2000 world cup before playing for QLD and Australia

Civoniceva didn't actually play because he had a broken arm.

Mateo should just make up his mind. I would like to see him play for Tonga to make them a little bit more competitive, but its his choice.

Well they aint going to develop a great deal if thats the case!
Instead of working ways out to cherry pick the best talent from these sides they should be playing more rugby league.

Coxy said:
That would be fine if Tonga played a lot of international football, but they don't. Hence why they have separate rules for developing nations.

I agree, but with State of Origin, NRL, ESL, there's not a lot of spots in the schedule to have internationals, and clubs certainly wouldn't release guys like Mateo midseason to play a test.

If they're going to try and create a genuine international competition they're going to HAVE to shorten the NRL competition to finish in May/June.

Coxy said:
I agree, but with State of Origin, NRL, ESL, there's not a lot of spots in the schedule to have internationals, and clubs certainly wouldn't release guys like Mateo midseason to play a test.

If they're going to try and create a genuine international competition they're going to HAVE to shorten the NRL competition to finish in May/June.

in other words make it the Union season [icon_lol1.

Active Now

• Mightybroncs2k17
  • KateBroncos1812
  • HarryAllan7
  • winslow_wong
  • ivanhungryjak
  • BroncoFan94
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncosgirl
  • Skathen
  • kman
  • Fozz
  • Painin the Haas
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.