Matt Cecchin

It feels like it was a lifetime ago when he binned alfie for calling him an "expletive dumbo". That was back when the cowboys were spoon contenders every year.

Didn't have a problem with the two forward pass calls in the second half but that obstruction call at the end was a joke. Problem is it's probably how they are told to call it. Just to be clear though - it had no bearing at all on the game nor should it detract from the Panthers' good effort or the Broncos' poor effort.

I didn't think the referring was that bad. The Waqa try was 50/50 but I thought the try we had disallowed at the end was bullshit as no Panthers defenders were impended and nobody was near him. Either way I think it's weak from some to just blame the referee all the time like some people at Alfie's bar tonight were. We were completely hopeless and got dominated so we've got bigger things to worry about than referees, we were never in the game tonight.

BTW I was just on Fox Sports looking at the stats from tonight and I saw that the Brumbies were denied a potential match winning try in a finals game tonight that has knocked them out of the comp. I've linked it if anyone is interested.

Home | Live Scores & Latest News | Fox Sports

If you complain after your team wins, people usually say 'Broncos won, why are you complaining?'

Cheatchin

not my original nickname, but from a Manly fan from years ago, so it's not a new thing that he's seen as bad.

Also Maxwell is fucking atrocious and we get either one nearly every week

The missus had to work last night and decided now was a good time to watch the cowboys game. Just watched JT do the exact same thing Pangai did. No penalty.

No one's saying we deserved to win. Oates had a shocker, there were uncharacteristic dropped balls everywhere, and some really weak efforts in defence. But we at least had the right to compete and attempt a comeback, and that's where the bad calls hurt. We earned momentum at crucial times and it was at those exact moments that we got fucked over. Milford's pass(es), TPJ's try, we were on top and back in the game, despite how bad we'd been. Cecchin denied us that, either through gross incompetence, or deliberate bias. There's only so long that continued incompetence in one particular direction can be written off as incidental though.

What's hard to cop is the inconsistency in the ruck. It needs to be sorted out at an administration level. As for last night Chechin wasn't the reason we list but he certainly didn't help. It seemed to me that his first call in any 50-50 situation was against the Broncos. The one where Mansor knocked on in the in goal summed it up for me. It was as clear as day, yet he called it as a drop out only to be corrected by the video.

Who knows how the game would have turned out if we got the correct call for the panthers first "try". That was a clear as day knock on every other game of the season.

Last edited:
The Obstruction call was complete BS ...

Either it is an obstruction or it is not ... why was he playing advantage. the team that infringed was attacking the line, how was the defending team ever going to get an advantage. he just used it as an excuse to deny us a fair try.

as for those forward passes, several of Peter Wallaces passes from dummy half were forward but let go, yet he pulls up a quality inside ball from Milford as being forward when it was flat at best.

These days we have full time professional referees but still get inconsistent, incompetent rulings, and that is one thing that is really holding this sport back.

tin foil hat time:

I wonder if Archer has been instructed by Greenturd to back the officials (especially the bunker officials) so when they do their "official stats" of the referee performances they can point to the reduced error rate, and with the bunker, they want to show that they bunker has been worth the investment.

Who knows how the game would have turned out if we got the correct call for the panthers first "try". That was a clear as day knock on every other game of the season.

actually that is the one decision i don't have a problem with.

on first glance i thought it was a knock on ... but on replay he knocked it back towards their own try line ... play on.

The Broncos all just stopped and showed no urgency, which is why Waqa scored

The issue with the Blake try is inconsistency.

When an instance like that occurs, the referees generally call it a knock on. Usually they deem that since the initial contact was forward and the player failed to regather the ball it was a knock on.

Usually they don't question it, but on this occasion Cecchin was in prime position and made a big call.

I don't think he was necessarily wrong. However, I expect over the course of the next two weeks we'll see a similar instance ruled as a knock on and nobody will bat an eyelid.

Matt Cecchin is a rubbish ref. Go and post in the Manly forum about him and see what you get. He's the opposite of a home-game ref. Like he has to make a point of not pandering to the ground. Last night he was particularly snotty with the Broncos, that Waqa try was not 50/50, it was a no-try. He deadset knocked it on, the 2nd touch was a knock on every game of every weekend from under 6's to the NRL ffs. And when JT ran behind 3 players the other night it was definitely NOT an obstruction, although Graham was blowing up that the ref "didn't understand the intricate details of defence" so I guess that Cecchin does understand the intricate details then.

The broncos were completely rubbish, but the ref's need to be held accountable just as much for their rubbish performance this season. I hate to say it but put Hollywood back in charge.

This knocked back rule has been getting worse and worse year after year. If you drop the fucking ball, that's a hand over. If you are facing backwards and it goes backward, fine, but when you're facing forwards, sideways, upside now, and you lose the ball, that should be it. Blow your stupid little whistle and pull them up.

Where did this knocked back shit come from. When did it become a thing that nearly every dropped ball is deemed backwards. The player failed to catch it. Our ball.

In Round 11, Roberts was penalized for passing the ball off the ground. He was held and passed it.

Last night, Panthers player is held, gets up and passes the ball but Cecchin doesn't blow a penalty.. He just rules a handover and Broncos had to play the ball.

What's the difference?

In Round 11, Roberts was penalized for passing the ball off the ground. He was held and passed it.

Last night, Panthers player is held, gets up and passes the ball but Cecchin doesn't blow a penalty.. He just rules a handover and Broncos had to play the ball.

What's the difference?

the jersey they were wearing

He was bloody ordinary last night. I hate the BS forward pass calls when they miss so many and they call one that might be just forward at best.

He was bloody ordinary last night. I hate the BS forward pass calls when they miss so many and they call one that might be just forward at best.

The first call against Milford was a clear forward pass. The pass to Thaiday I believe it was.

But the second one.. It was a tough call. The angle they showed on the replay wasn't very clear, but I thought it was line ball at worst. It was definitely one of those calls that could have gone either way and it ended up going Panthers way.

Then not long after that, they miss the clear forward pass from the Panthers.

Last edited:
The thing about forward passes is that they used to pick up so many more because the touchies ran in line with the ball and had a clear view.

then they made the decision to have the touchies mark the 10 meters making it so they weren't in a position to get a clear view of forward passes any more.

However when the 2 ref system came in they touchies shouldn't have needed to be marking the 10 meters any more and should have reverted to running in line with the ball. this didn't happen, so plenty of forward passes get missed and the pull up the random one.

amateur hour yet again from the NRL

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Tim K
  • Bish
  • Fatboy
  • Santa
  • broncsgoat
  • TimWhatley
  • FACTHUNT
  • Pablo
  • broncos4life
  • Financeguy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
  • Tmac
  • Waynesaurus
  • mieko
  • lynx000
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.