Matt Cecchin

We were good enough to win but too many mistakes at crucial moments.

There isn't a 'good' referee in the NRL. I don't know how the ESL does it, but they seem to have FAR better officiating than we do over here, and they're a fucking second rate comp.

Didn't think they were terrible tonight. So in this comp, they had a good game.

If it's any consolation, if the shoe was on the other foot and the Cowboys copped the calls Brisbane did, we wouldn't hear the end of it.

Couple of tough ones, but it's more productive to see where the Cows were better than it is to point out the calls they received.

At the end of the day, what does it matter really? The referees could have the worst game in the world and dead-set screw a team out of a premiership with a bad call. However, it means nothing when you're watching the other team celebrate the W.

Last edited:
...it's more productive to see where the Cows were better...

They were better at receiving dodgy calls.

Seriously, I take your point. But I also can't help but imagine what a better product this sport would be with competent officiating.

There were more actual mistakes by the referees in last night's game than last week's. I counted 2, probably 3 last week, and 4 or 5 last night.

But like Big Pete says, we lost. No amount of errors is going to have us playing next week.

Didn't think they were terrible tonight. So in this comp, they had a good game.

Is it realistic that the penalty count went from 4-1 to the Broncos to 7-4 to the Cowboys? What inspired the Cows to go from infringing every second set to picture perfect in the space of about two minutes? The NRL is the only comp in the world where you feel a sense of dread receiving a penalty early on in the game. Union is a convoluted mess of a game with referees who have arguably bigger egos than those in the NRL (it'd be a close finish), but at least you don't see square ups and other such rubbish.

EDIT: I don't care how good you are, any side would struggle to win a game off the back of six straight penalties and an eight percentage point swing in possession. Same sort of thing happened in the GF as well.

TL;DR: we need to do a rorters and give away intentional penalties defending our line so refs don't feel the need to square up the count.

Last edited:
I think Cecchin gets a free pass from the media and NRL because of his situation.

Oh. I thought that was the other ref. Tony De Le Heras.

Last edited:
The referees were fine.

Instead you should blame McCullough for kicking it out on the full during our first set. Blame Parker for losing possession during a heavy collision. Blame McGuire for dropping it on their line without a hand on him. Blame our marker defense who let Granville (who always rips us to shreds) run all night. I mean, fair dinkum, how fucking dumb are we?

Blame Glenn for not passing to an unmarked Milford or for dropping the ball....Blame Milford for coughing up possession numerous times. Blame Hunt for giving away 7 tackle sets - seriously he should never kick the ball again.

Blame Oates for not playing the ball correctly when we were under enormous pressure. Blame Gillett for the trip. Blame WB for not using TPJ or for naming Opacic who was clearly under done.

ALL of those moments and decisions cost us the game. Gillett didn't cost us the game. Neither did Ashton Sims back in the day. ALL of our errors added up to produce the result it did.

The Cowboys won because they are better than us. The reason they are better is because they have more experience. ORIGIN experience. Performing at your best in big games when you're behind in the score and under heavy fatigue.

WB can only do so much. He's taken Milford and Hunt as far as he can. We'll continue to get knocked out unless those two step up and start respecting the football and the effort your forwards put in to get field position. We should have won by 40 on Friday. I've lost patience with Hunt. Milford I have a bit of time for but he needs to decide whether he wants a career like JT or Benji Marshall. The most exciting player in the game wears a Broncos jersey.

Honestly, I think the seeds were sewn in the pre-season, where our halves, both enormously talented decided to get drunk instead of learning from guys like Smith and JT. Did Morgan get suspended for a year? No I'm guessing he was in bed by 8. He took it seriously. He's younger than Hunt isn't he?

Why does Hunt get a free pass? The guy's old enough to know better I reckon. Sorry to rant, I don't normally do that but honestly we need some perspective.

Which is to say back on topic Cecchin and the other guy were fine. NQ took their opportunities while we squandered ours.

Last edited:
The referees were fine.

Instead you should blame McCullough for kicking it out on the full during our first set. Blame Parker for losing possession during a heavy collision. Blame McGuire for dropping it on their line without a hand on him. Blame our marker defense who let Granville (who always rips us to shreds) run all night. I mean, fair dinkum, how fucking dumb are we?

Blame Glenn for not passing to an unmarked Milford or for dropping the ball....Blame Milford for coughing up possession numerous times. Blame Hunt for giving away 7 tackle sets - seriously he should never kick the ball again.

Blame Oates for not playing the ball correctly when we were under enormous pressure. Blame Gillett for the trip. Blame WB for not using TPJ or for naming Opacic who was clearly under done.

ALL of those moments and decisions cost us the game. Gillett didn't cost us the game. Neither did Ashton Sims back in the day. ALL of our errors added up to produce the result it did.

The Cowboys won because they are better than us. The reason they are better is because they have more experience. ORIGIN experience. Performing at your best in big games when you're behind in the score and under heavy fatigue.

WB can only do so much. He's taken Milford and Hunt as far as he can. We'll continue to get knocked out unless those two step up and start respecting the football and the effort your forwards put in to get field position. We should have won by 40 on Friday. I've lost patience with Hunt. Milford I have a bit of time for but he needs to decide whether he wants a career like JT or Benji Marshall. The most exciting player in the game wears a Broncos jersey.

Honestly, I think the seeds were sewn in the pre-season, where our halves, both enormously talented decided to get drunk instead of learning from guys like Smith and JT. Did Morgan get suspended for a year? No I'm guessing he was in bed by 8. He took it seriously. He's younger than Hunt isn't he?

Why does Hunt get a free pass? The guy's old enough to know better I reckon. Sorry to rant, I don't normally do that but honestly we need some perspective.

Which is to say back on topic Cecchin and the other guy were fine. NQ took their opportunities while we squandered ours.

All of those things could have been overlooked, if we rushed the defence and stopped letting them run 60m nearly every set.

I agree. The ref hate is crazy, they were fine.

All of those things could have been overlooked, if we rushed the defence and stopped letting them run 60m nearly every set.

I agree. The ref hate is crazy, they were fine.

haha yeah forgot about that fact as well. I remember watching the game thinking "NQ are getting out of their half way too easily."

Thought it was just me.

i figured this would be the case, as i said, we lost on our own merits, nothing to do with the refs.

Cecchin is making quite a few blunders in this game..

He's a favourite of Archer, he'll be fine.

Active Now

• Cavalo
  • kman
  • GCBRONCO
  • eggstar10
  • Santa
  • Old Mate
  • Organix
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncorob
  • theshed
  • Johnny92
  • Brocko
  • Justwin
  • winslow_wong
  • FACTHUNT
  • Big Del
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • broncsgoat
  • Xzei
  • Strop
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.