Matt Cecchin

I dont like matt cecchin as a ref as next bloke but the penalty count was 3-3.

As for the high shot on gillett, a penalty every day in club footy, but there was about 4 high shots on woods who is a tall man, with qlders jumping at his head in the opening 5 mins that went uncalled.

Then if your issue was what was happening in the ruck, QLDers had three Storm players to NSW 0, cameron smith doesnt forget to work arms and legs all of a sudden now that hes playing for QLD.

I dont like matt cecchin as a ref as next bloke but the penalty count was 3-3.

As for the high shot on gillett, a penalty every day in club footy, but there was about 4 high shots on woods who is a tall man, with qlders jumping at his head in the opening 5 mins that went uncalled.

Then if your issue was what was happening in the ruck, QLDers had three Storm players to NSW 0, cameron smith doesnt forget to work arms and legs all of a sudden now that hes playing for QLD.

Cecchin sucked as usual ... but didn't cost us the game

Refereeing was fine.

Plenty of cheap shots from both sides that were deserving of the whistle, but there's always more latitude shown in Origin.

I will say that Gillett was pretty hard done by in that particular instance but the precedent was pretty much set.

Cecchin is generally shit, but he wasn't a factor last night.

Penalties were 3-1 up to the point that the game was over, then they were evened up. A few ruck ones would have been nice seeing as NSW held the ball well all night and gave us no cheap possession down their end. NSW outplayed us and definitely deserved the win but it sucks that the whistle gets put away in big matches.

I think Maguire's high shot on Fafita gets evened out by the Gillett high shot

I enjoyed the hands off approach.

Sure the whistle could have been blown on a number of occasions, but as long as the game is flowing nicely I'd like to see the referees have as little involvement as possible.

It's only when a game descends into trench warfare like Game II 2014 where I want to see the referees step up.

I don't know about calling it the best refereeing performance in a decade though. I'm of the belief that the only difference between a good referee and a bad referee is the problems they're presented with. There wasn't a lot either referee had to adjudicate so their jobs were very easy.

Besides, nobody keeps a tally of all the difficult calls the referees have to make.

I watched it again with no beers in me and I still have the same opinion. Thought it was one of the best refereeing performances I have seen in my memory. The ruck was quick the 10m was very good and they stayed out of the questionable tackles which in origin is perfect. Nothing worse than penalty after penalty. Both teams got away with grubbery throughout which is usual. Myles went the eye gouge, McGuire flew in late and got Fifita a good one, Klemmer did a nice WWE move on Milf, Cordner questionable chicken wing but meh if you don't penalise one don't penalise the rest and I thought they stayed out of it and it never got out of control like a few recent matches. Both teams played great footy the first half and the man that could keep getting up won in the end. Having a fast match like it was didn't really help us but with a few changes with new legs I think we could compete for the win. ANZ though is notoriously a slower kind of drag it out game because of a range of things surface etc

Whilst I enjoyed the fast pace of the game, I fail to see how not blowing penalties for things that are blatantly obvious penalties can be considered good refereeing

It is, in fact, the definition of incompetence

If something is illegal, then penalise it, simple

If not penalising these things make the game a better spectacle, then change the rules

Referees are there to police the rules of the game, not to make the game a spectacle

And when it comes to refereeing to the rules, they did very badly

And before anybody has a go at me for blaming the refs for the loss, I am not - the better team won

You'd mark them a fail based on a couple of missed head highs and a lifting tackle? That's really harsh.

Tony Archer has always said he wants the refs to penalize infringements when they have the opportunity.

They failed that. They failed the task their boss set out for them. There were a lot of things the refs let go.

Twice was already one time too many.

What problems did you have with the performance?

You need to watch the game again I think.
Agree. The refereeing was bad, between forward passes, high tackles and various ruck infringements left unpunished, while punishing some fairly innocuous things, which I'd have been happy to let go.

This is not an excuse, as Qld was probably even worse than the refs!

Tony Archer has always said he wants the refs to penalize infringements when they have the opportunity.

They failed that. They failed the task their boss set out for them. There were a lot of things the refs let go.

If they did that there would be 50 penalties a game. Just doesn't work. All I have heard on talkback on radio is gow good the referees were. I agree. Never going to be 100% correct but how difficult the job is they were damn good imo.

Agree. The refereeing was bad, between forward passes, high tackles and various ruck infringements left unpunished, while punishing some fairly innocuous things, which I'd have been happy to let go.

This is not an excuse, as Qld was probably even worse than the refs!

I wouldn't use the word bad. I'd use inconsistent. Which in reality, makes them consistent, because they suck.

Have they actually confirmed whether Pearce got Milford around the shoulders? The one piece of footage looked bad but it was far from conclusive.

I wouldn't use the word bad. I'd use inconsistent. Which in reality, makes them consistent, because they suck.
Well, in comparison with NRL games, they were indeed consistent with the average, which is... well, bad really is the word that comes to mind.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Dash
  • Fitzy
  • Fozz
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Harry Sack
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Financeguy
  • Skathen
  • Johnny92
  • achievedrap
  • ivanhungryjak
  • ChewThePhatt
  • ezpz
  • Browny
  • Lozza
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • Brocko
  • Jazza
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.