NEWS Matt Lodge, Jordan Riki, Ben Te’o and Alex Glenn are heroes

What profits? Newscorp lost more than a billion dollars as a business last year. It lost money the year before too.

Newscorp isn't only interested in pure profit though

I think differently.....

For me it's a sad reflection on our world when people who can play sport really well, or can sing a song are called heroes

For someone to go out of their way to help someone else, whilst putting themselves in danger, I'm OK with calling them a hero

As you put it above, I agree with you 100%. No argument. Perhaps I ought to have put my point differently.

So, as far as this reported scenario goes, I understand that both Lodge and T'eo took on 1 bloke and shortly after, were assisted further by Riki, Glenn and it sounds like other Broncos as well. Like almost a full Broncos scrum v 1 asshole, with maybe the media or us, feeding the scrum. We all need our heroes to believe in, whether that's sad as you suggest, or not.

For me, an act of heroism is a selfless act of courage and bravery taken against the odds. So in this case, unless the assailant was say, an armed member of the Special Forces, then for mine, this doesn't quite scale the heights of a heroic act - a wonderful example of support to a vulnerable person, yes, but hardly an act of heroism.

Having said that, it also gave the media another chance to have yet another go at Lodge, so in one sense, Lodge was very brave indeed putting himself in the media spotlight to show he has redeemed himself, which I guess, is kind of heroic. Taking on the media is in most cases, rather heroic. Unless you're Wayne Bennett, when it's the media who are heroes.

Disagree, the type of person who would belt or threaten to kill his missus in public is unpredictable. Even if he turned out to be meek as a kitten, how would the boys have known that when they chose to intervene? For all Lodgey and co knew the guy was a methed up bikie with a knife in his back pocket.

Yes, but we can only go on what was reported. I could speculate all I like - that the bloke had a 100 ninja bikies hiding in the shadows, in which case, the situation would have been different, but then, how can we know that unless and until it is reported?

Yes, but we can only go on what was reported. I could speculate all I like - that the bloke had a 100 ninja bikies hiding in the shadows, in which case, the situation would have been different, but then, how can we know that unless and until it is reported?
I don't follow your meaning here. I'm not speculating the man in question was an expert fighter so the boys were in danger, I'm saying they were confronted with a risk which was unquantified at the time and did so anyway in aid of a stranger. That's brave in my books.

As you put it above, I agree with you 100%. No argument. Perhaps I ought to have put my point differently.

So, as far as this reported scenario goes, I understand that both Lodge and T'eo took on 1 bloke and shortly after, were assisted further by Riki, Glenn and it sounds like other Broncos as well. Like almost a full Broncos scrum v 1 asshole, with maybe the media or us, feeding the scrum. We all need our heroes to believe in, whether that's sad as you suggest, or not.

For me, an act of heroism is a selfless act of courage and bravery taken against the odds. So in this case, unless the assailant was say, an armed member of the Special Forces, then for mine, this doesn't quite scale the heights of a heroic act - a wonderful example of support to a vulnerable person, yes, but hardly an act of heroism.

Having said that, it also gave the media another chance to have yet another go at Lodge, so in one sense, Lodge was very brave indeed putting himself in the media spotlight to show he has redeemed himself, which I guess, is kind of heroic. Taking on the media is in most cases, rather heroic. Unless you're Wayne Bennett, when it's the media who are heroes.
Yeah, I hadn't thought of that, point taken :)

How bitter do you have to be to be arguing over using the word hero in this scenario. Yeah, they aren’t a fireman who ran back into the trade towers but far out, it’s just a positive story. They could’ve easily minded their own business.

Not everyone wants to get involved in domestic situations, even in crowded areas the whole legal situation these days makes people hesitate, and considering that a massive chunk of total Murders these days are domestic it's hard to write it off especially when you have zero information about the people involved.

For all you know the guy could of looked like some crazy bikie with tats on his face with murder eyes, you going to charge at that without thinking?

I don't follow your meaning here. I'm not speculating the man in question was an expert fighter so the boys were in danger, I'm saying they were confronted with a risk which was unquantified at the time and did so anyway in aid of a stranger. That's brave in my books.

Yes, they were brave. No doubt about that, especially Lodge who risked again being the target of gutter media. I just feel in the circumstances, what the boys did doesn't qualify as heroism. I guess where I am coming from is both caution and parsimony - that If we use the word so much we risk devaluing it, thus making it problematic to describe and understand real heroism, the rare, superhuman kind which to me, is what the real meaning of an act of heroism tries to capture.

Yes, they were brave. No doubt about that, especially Lodge who risked again being the target of gutter media. I just feel in the circumstances, what the boys did doesn't qualify as heroism. I guess where I am coming from is both caution and parsimony - that If we use the word so much we risk devaluing it, thus making it problematic to describe and understand real heroism, the rare, superhuman kind which to me, is what the real meaning of an act of heroism tries to capture.
I get what you are saying but really in an environment where nearly every game someone is called a hero for scoring a try we don’t need multiple pages arguing the finer points of an actual heroic act.

I get what you are saying but really in an environment where nearly every game someone is called a hero for scoring a try we don’t need multiple pages arguing the finer points of an actual heroic act.

party pooper

Unread

Active Now

• Santa
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Porthoz
  • Brocko
  • Broncosarethebest
  • lynx000
  • BruiserMk1
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • Justwin
  • broncsgoat
  • upthehorse
  • Mustafur
  • Financeguy
  • broncos4life
  • Browny
  • Fitzy
  • Allo
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.