Matt Parcell to Manly

Milf, Hunt and Granville in form together would have been insane. I like Macca, he's a tackle machine and a hard worker but lacks a bit of pace... Who knows, one of the Niko's may turn out better than them all

Someone must do the tackling. you could have Hunt, Milford, Granville, Barba ,Austin ,Holmes all in the one team . would it make for a better team?

Arrr...no. Cannot agree with that. I've never heard MC mentioned when they wax lyrical about the Broncos but Granvilles name is on everyone's lips when they describe The Cows season.

Tackles aren't in the highlights reel.

Arrr...no. Cannot agree with that. I've never heard MC mentioned when they wax lyrical about the Broncos but Granvilles name is on everyone's lips when they describe The Cows season.

So the way commentators bang on is how we determine players worth now is it? Well in that case Gould, one of the great readers of the game gave Macca a pretty decent rap in his column the other day, so there.

How ridiculous.

Consistency is the most vital yet most under-rated quality in a player. Macca has been consistently good for a really long time, and has stepped it up a gear this year, yet because his style doesn't get on highlight reels he is apparently rubbish. Players have a run of great form and are jizzed over, yet nothing is said when the return to just an average footballer.

The guy that does the dirty work, consistently lays the platform and provides a consistent performance that the spark players in the team can play off of is rubbish...

Macca has areas to work on in his game and he has been noticeably refining them, but many have made up their mind already and it will never change.

If Parcell is so much better than Macca, don't you think Bennett would have kept him? If he is unquestionably going to be the better player as some claim surely WB gives him the starting spot to ensure he stays...

So the way commentators bang on is how we determine players worth now is it? Well in that case Gould, one of the great readers of the game gave Macca a pretty decent rap in his column the other day, so there.

How ridiculous.

I don't think that is what Huge was implying. I think he meant if you stand back and look at which of the two players has had a bigger effect on a sides fortunes, that is, the x-factor that wins games, then yes Granville has had a much better year.

In terms of discipline and control in the ruck, McC has been better.

I don't think that is what Huge was implying. I think he meant if you stand back and look at which of the two players has had a bigger effect on a sides fortunes, that is, the x-factor that wins games, then yes Granville has had a much better year.

In terms of discipline and control in the ruck, McC has been better.
Well said and yes, that encapsulates my thoughts. When Granville was here last year he would come on and wow, everyone was blown away by the huge lift in team speed and down to almost the last poster we were impressed . Many of us were actually hoping the plodding McCullough would make way for Granville. This year WB all but said were he around when Granville was contemplating leaving that it wouldn't have happened.

I myself cannot see any area where McCullough is clearly better but perhaps he is a better kicker or tackler. If that were true I suppose there would be evidence and stats for that.

EDIT: Keep it on topic. Don't discuss the poster.

Last edited by a moderator:

I prefer macca to those guys with group of players around him . He has the skills to complement the team he's in. I couldn't be happier. He's importing week to week and he's going to be dynamic in a years's time under Bennett

That's my view. Granville has been great for NQ, and Matt will go well at Manly, but Macca suits our style of play. The bagging he cops is a little unwarranted IMO.

Yeah good point, he is more of a Smith style hooker but Iv'e been waiting for this explosion for a few seasons now and starting to wonder if he's reached his peak.

Yeah good point, he is more of a Smith style hooker but Iv'e been waiting for this explosion for a few seasons now and starting to wonder if he's reached his peak.

IMO, Smith's never been an "explosive" type either. He gets credited for leading the team around, composure under pressure, and rock-solid defence. Macca's not at the same level, we all know that, but he leaves the "spark" up to the actual playmakers, and the bench hooker, who only has to maintain the rage over 20 minutes, not 65-80.

McCullough is old school, he could be transferred back to the 80's; makes his tackles a lot of tackles, passes to the right player and sometimes kicks.

The perception of the role has changed and people want a dynamic runner, who takes off and makes ground like Granville.

I think it is whatever suits your team. Parcell and Granville are one style and McCullough is just as effective for his side. I used to think that Granville had to curb his running and his first instinct was always to run and pass second; he's changed that this year and he is a much more well rounded hooker. Teams would talk about getting to him quickly and making him take that second option because he would do it in a pressured hurried way.

Parcell is smart, quick and probably somewhere between the two, nice pass, nice run and fast while missing next to no tackles.

You can't carry four players in one position who could all play NRL. Granville was always going to follow Green and take his shot, which is what Parcell is doing now too. Parcell is 22 and done his time in the ISC, if he hung around again on the second tier cap and playing for the Jets; he might not get another shot at a top 25 gig.

McCullough and Nikorima will be the Broncos' options now and it's not a bad position to be in. Regardless of what the other two do over the next five years.

I've never been the biggest fan of McCullough, but it just seems to work at the moment. We are top of the ladder and going strong, why change a winning formula. If we played Parcell, could we be a better team? Who knows! Maybe.....Maybe Not. I see no point in risking that.

McCullough's increased his defensive workload enormously over the last couple of seasons and I for one am more than happy with that aspect of his game.

Attacking-wise, sure, he's not the most explosive player, but he's solid as a rock under pressure. "Solid" may not be the biggest compliment you can give him, but there is more than enough spark in the team to thrive, as our ladder position and points-for figures show.

I'm happy with Macca, he doesn't have the same impact as Granville et al but that's not what we need. Macca tightens up the middle so well and we still get Niko the Elder or possibly Niko the Younger as strike power while he gives a second rower a rest. Plus we still have Hunt and Milf firing with a pretty darn good backline. I think Granville would be ok but as a team Macca brings what we need.

McCullough is old school, he could be transferred back to the 80's; makes his tackles a lot of tackles, passes to the right player and sometimes kicks.

The perception of the role has changed and people want a dynamic runner, who takes off and makes ground like Granville.

I think it is whatever suits your team. Parcell and Granville are one style and McCullough is just as effective for his side. I used to think that Granville had to curb his running and his first instinct was always to run and pass second; he's changed that this year and he is a much more well rounded hooker. Teams would talk about getting to him quickly and making him take that second option because he would do it in a pressured hurried way.

Parcell is smart, quick and probably somewhere between the two, nice pass, nice run and fast while missing next to no tackles.

You can't carry four players in one position who could all play NRL. Granville was always going to follow Green and take his shot, which is what Parcell is doing now too. Parcell is 22 and done his time in the ISC, if he hung around again on the second tier cap and playing for the Jets; he might not get another shot at a top 25 gig.

McCullough and Nikorima will be the Broncos' options now and it's not a bad position to be in. Regardless of what the other two do over the next five years.

Pretty much agree with all of this. McCullough is more of your Conescu type hooker whereas Granville is more like Kerrod Walters in style. It is difficult to compare because they are two very different style of players.

Pretty much agree with all of this. McCullough is more of your Conescu type hooker whereas Granville is more like Kerrod Walters in style. It is difficult to compare because they are two very different style of players.
Yeah, that's a pretty good comparison. Granville does remind me of Kerrod a bit and I think that even though McCullough is a competent hooker we may have been the most dynamic Bronco team ever if Granville was our 2015 hooker. Yes it's great where we are and I think the old saying about not fixing something is true but the only time I've seen McCullough really stand out was in a few random games shortly after Granville made us all sit up and take notice.

As soon as Granville was gone he was back to competent. I'm not down on him and there is definitely no hate, quite the contrary but I would like to see him improve to at least a Farah like level.

Last edited:
Interesting stats.. Well, the stats I have.

McCullough - 865 tackles, 18 missed.

Granville - 475 tackles, 18 missed.

Granville is more explosive out of dummy half, but his work rate and defense isn't as good as Macca's. And from what I've seen by watching Granville, Macca's kicking game is better than his.

I think we made the right choice keeping Macca over Granville.

We have the Nikorima brothers if we need some spark out of dummy half.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Behind enemy lines
  • Bish
  • Dony Eliakim
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Lurker
  • Aldo
  • Volvo Driver
  • Dash
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.