Matt Parcell to Manly

Interesting stats.. Well, the stats I have.

McCullough - 865 tackles, 18 missed.

Granville - 475 tackles, 18 missed.

Granville is more explosive out of dummy half, but his work rate and defense isn't as good as Macca's. And from what I've seen by watching Granville, Macca's kicking game is better than his.

I think we made the right choice keeping Macca over Granville.

We have the Nikorima brothers if we need some spark out of dummy half.
And on the other hand Granville, from the bench mind you ,has run for 500 metres more and scored twice as many tries !!!! So , in less time he has done more and made more of his limited opportunity. To be balanced though he has gone from the bench to starting hooker so is getting the same chance to shine as McCullough. No matter, it's all academic anyway, we all have our preferences. I doubt MC would have been in the starting role if Granny stayed but we will never know. I'll still cheer for MC and hope he has a premiership ring come seasons end

And on the other hand Granville, from the bench mind you ,has run for 500 metres more and scored twice as many tries !!!! So , in less time he has done more and made more of his limited opportunity. To be balanced though he has gone from the bench to starting hooker so is getting the same chance to shine as McCullough. No matter, it's all academic anyway, we all have our preferences. I doubt MC would have been in the starting role if Granny stayed but we will never know. I'll still cheer for MC and hope he has a premiership ring come seasons end

That's 400 less tackles but the same amount missed, yet you still think Granville would be in the starting side over Macca? Do you realise how much of a negative impact that would have to our outstanding defence this season?

Run metres are fantastic but they are not needed in this side with the spark players we have, what is needed is outstanding defence and good service to those players which is what Macca is providing.

In any case it is quite clear that discussion on Macca is pointless.

Yeah, I still think he'd be in the side because I think he's a better hooker. That doesn't mean MC is no good, just I rate Granny higher overall.

Pretty much agree with all of this. McCullough is more of your Conescu type hooker whereas Granville is more like Kerrod Walters in style. It is difficult to compare because they are two very different style of players.

Yeah although I wouldn't want Turtle kicking for me.

Traditionally Bennett has always liked solid dependable hookers; Elias, Muller, Hoffman, Conescu, S.Walters, Priddis, Fein, Buderus.

Great players but I wouldn't say much 'spark' there.

Consistency is the most vital yet most under-rated quality in a player. Macca has been consistently good for a really long time, and has stepped it up a gear this year, yet because his style doesn't get on highlight reels he is apparently rubbish. Players have a run of great form and are jizzed over, yet nothing is said when the return to just an average footballer.

Yeah.......that's just not true.

He has struggled with consistency his entire career until WB came along. A.Mc has improved this year......

Yeah.......that's just not true.

He has struggled with consistency his entire career until WB came along. A.Mc has improved this year......

I said he has been consistently good, not outstanding.

It's been a long time since Macca has been poor

Yeah, I still think he'd be in the side because I think he's a better hooker. That doesn't mean MC is no good, just I rate Granny higher overall.
I, on the other hand would opt for MC, Not a simple choice and I could easily be proven wrong. We'll just have to see how Graville's consistency goes. he's now clearly on the radar and will have to take his game to another level to cope with the added attention. Parcell could be anything, but I don't think he has shown enough to unseat the incumbent.

I always wondered what the deal was with Granville. We all saw the same thing, everytime Granville would come on, it'd create a spark and anytime he covered for McCullough the Broncos never really skipped a beat and if anything looked more dangerous but for whatever reason, Granville was lucky to receive a cameo most weeks.

It's just another instance of Hook getting it wrong.

To think he had Ben Hunt, Peter Wallace & Luke Capewell ahead of Granville in that position...

McCullough's ability to play long minutes and defend in the middle means he's always going to be handy at this level, but I can't see him being anything more than just that.

He's basically our version of John Morris.

I don't blame Bennett for picking McCullough over Parcell. I like what he's achieved on the field so far and his exploits on the training field excite me but he'd still be a bit of a gamble, especially if the back-up is one of the Nikorima brothers.

I think there have been mistakes in the past concerning the Broncos dummy half position but in this instance, I can see the thought process.

The only aspect that bugs me is that he's going to Manly. Not because Manly are unpopular but because they're already covered in that position. Why couldn't he go somewhere that needed a dummy half? Like Newcastle? Even clubs like Canterbury, Sydney or Melbourne could use him as a back-up and he'd at least get something out of it.

Manly just doesn't strike me as a wise move for him. Rookie coach, instability...

I always wondered what the deal was with Granville. We all saw the same thing, everytime Granville would come on, it'd create a spark and anytime he covered for McCullough the Broncos never really skipped a beat and if anything looked more dangerous but for whatever reason, Granville was lucky to receive a cameo most weeks.

It's just another instance of Hook getting it wrong.

To think he had Ben Hunt, Peter Wallace & Luke Capewell ahead of Granville in that position...

McCullough's ability to play long minutes and defend in the middle means he's always going to be handy at this level, but I can't see him being anything more than just that.

He's basically our version of John Morris.

I don't blame Bennett for picking McCullough over Parcell. I like what he's achieved on the field so far and his exploits on the training field excite me but he'd still be a bit of a gamble, especially if the back-up is one of the Nikorima brothers.

I think there have been mistakes in the past concerning the Broncos dummy half position but in this instance, I can see the thought process.

The only aspect that bugs me is that he's going to Manly. Not because Manly are unpopular but because they're already covered in that position. Why couldn't he go somewhere that needed a dummy half? Like Newcastle? Even clubs like Canterbury, Sydney or Melbourne could use him as a back-up and he'd at least get something out of it.

Manly just doesn't strike me as a wise move for him. Rookie coach, instability...
I find I agree with most of this except that going to Manly might just be okay.i It takes pressure to make a diamond and Parcell probably considered all you wrote about before committing. It is a club that has played finals football for ten years straight and love or loathe them they set the bar high. He just may thrive. I hope so, might be an origin players one day !

Parcell to backflip and head to Newcastle if the Walker bros sign. Read it here first

Parcell to backflip and head to Newcastle if the Walker bros sign. Read it here first

It's almost believable. There's no official announcement that he's signed yet. If he has signed he could easily end up at Newcastle the following year.

He'll be remembered for that tackle which basically won us the game against the Storm.

Last edited:
I find I agree with most of this except that going to Manly might just be okay.i It takes pressure to make a diamond and Parcell probably considered all you wrote about before committing. It is a club that has played finals football for ten years straight and love or loathe them they set the bar high. He just may thrive. I hope so, might be an origin players one day !

It might be OK, I just don't like the idea of him playing third banana, especially at an unstable club. Now if this was Manly under Des, I could live with it because I have a huge admiration of Des and believe he makes a lot of really good calls on roster assessment but Barrett is an unknown and I'd hate to see his talent squandered. I know that Manly are looking to move on Ballin, but it seems like they're trying to cut off their nose to spite their face in that situation.

I should stress that it's my own selfish point of view. As a fan of Parcell (and basically every Bronco, past and present), I'd either like to see him at a club dying for a dummy half like Newcastle for the overall betterment of the game, or a really good club where he's bound to improve and get a good opportunity like the ones I listed. The reality could be that neither of them offered him a deal or showed as much interest as Manly and if so I think it's a shame.

It might be OK, I just don't like the idea of him playing third banana, especially at an unstable club. Now if this was Manly under Des, I could live with it because I have a huge admiration of Des and believe he makes a lot of really good calls on roster assessment but Barrett is an unknown and I'd hate to see his talent squandered. I know that Manly are looking to move on Ballin, but it seems like they're trying to cut off their nose to spite their face in that situation.

I should stress that it's my own selfish point of view. As a fan of Parcell (and basically every Bronco, past and present), I'd either like to see him at a club dying for a dummy half like Newcastle for the overall betterment of the game, or a really good club where he's bound to improve and get a good opportunity like the ones I listed. The reality could be that neither of them offered him a deal or showed as much interest as Manly and if so I think it's a shame.
I also want 'our boys' to go on and make great choices but the reality is, as I'm sure you're aware, a lottery. The other thing that I stress repeatedly is that we never know the full story behind each and any decision or move and so we make conjecture as to possible outcomes. What I have learned though is that it is pointless to make really definitive statements based on scant knowledge not that you, BP have done so !

Barrett is an unknown but he is not a fool and may very well be the spark that sends Parcell onto greatness. Manly ,under new stewardship may run like a well oiled machine in the future under the new regime. I cite the example of Souths who after many years of mediocrity hit the giddy heights in 2014 and continue to thrive even now. The more qlders playing first grade the better, may we win 19 out of 20 Origin series !!!

getting frustrated with reading transfer rumours all the time, courier mail reported that as well as taylor and posssibly jayden, parcell has left as well, but i can't find any official announcement/confirmation? is it a done deal or not ?

Matt Parcell is definitely leaving. Jayden Nikorima is not going anywhere.

Titans confirmation of Ashley Taylor signing: Taylor and Taia to join Aquis Titans - Titans

I haven't seen an official announcement from the Titans about the signing of Matt Parcell, nor have the Roosters officially signed Jayden Nikorima, as far as I'm concerned they're both still a part of the Broncos.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • GCBRONCO
  • Browny
  • the_next
  • I bleed Maroon
  • theshed
  • Alec
  • The Boss
  • Foordy
  • Santa
  • Aldo
  • KateBroncos1812
  • BRC088
  • Battler
  • Waynesaurus
  • Skyblues87
  • Thelmus
  • FACTHUNT
  • sooticus
  • Harry Sack
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.