Matthew Johns: NSW will win State of Origin this Year

We'll have to lose a series eventually. The positive is that it won't be with Sticky as coach. If he'd won a series I'd have hung myself. Of any NSW personalities, Lozza would be the easiest to take.

It's been ****ing great watching this team dominate for 8 years, but man I'm going to need to be on suicide watch when the Blues finally do win again. It's probably going to be one of the saddest days of my life. It won't be this year, however. I can see this team wanting at least 10 straight.

Oh man I would literally love to see how everyone on hear would react to it. The victory would probably send some to an asylum.

When NSW take back the shield it would easily be one of the greatest and proudest days of my life.

Unless they chuck him into Origin and ruin him

They could do what they did to Mullen, chuck him in for one game when he's 19 or whatever, and then play Pearce for the next 7 years.

Hope he is right NSW aren't far behind and have the determination and motivation to win.

I doubt it. In fact, Queensland will probably do it easier this year than the previous two years. I've been thinking about it, they pretty much were gifted a series win last year and weren't able to take the opportunity. They put too much emphasis on referees, home games, etc. Also, they need to start fresh like Mal did in 2006. No more Gallen, Bird etc. Clear the under performers and rebuild the team from the ground up without any baggage.

We'll have to lose a series eventually. The positive is that it won't be with Sticky as coach. If he'd won a series I'd have hung myself. Of any NSW personalities, Lozza would be the easiest to take.
He was the last coach to win a series with the blues

Oh man I would literally love to see how everyone on hear would react to it. The victory would probably send some to an asylum.

When NSW take back the shield it would easily be one of the greatest and proudest days of my life.

I'll disappoint you now then. I'll crack the shits but not as much as many on here I'm sure. My Father and Brother are both NSW born.

As a QLD'r it is a wonderful feeling when you break that streak of losses. Enjoy it......in 2016 when it finally comes.

I doubt it. In fact, Queensland will probably do it easier this year than the previous two years. I've been thinking about it, they pretty much were gifted a series win last year and weren't able to take the opportunity. They put too much emphasis on referees, home games, etc. Also, they need to start fresh like Mal did in 2006. No more Gallen, Bird etc. Clear the under performers and rebuild the team from the ground up without any baggage.

NSW are definitely getting closer....if they pick the correct squad. Clearing out Gallen and Bird is the best way to ensure series victories for QLD for a number of years. They didn't have it easy earlier that's for sure, they've faced a side that contained 4 of the best players to ever play the game (Lockyer, Smith, Thurston, Inglis). During that period, who have NSW had? Or should I say, picked. They've consistently, IMO, picked the wrong team that many times that it's staggering. How the **** Pearce has played so many Origins is staggering. They pick the right squad and I think the streak ends at 6.

They could do what they did to Mullen, chuck him in for one game when he's 19 or whatever, and then play Pearce for the next 7 years.

Not only did the NSW selectors blood him too young, they also did it in such a haphazard fashion.

One of the best ideas Wayne Bennett ever came up with was the Emerging Origin camp. It gave players a taste of Origin, indoctrinated them in the team ethos and gave them the confidence that they were in line to wear the Maroon jersey if performances were willing.

NSW had yet to come up with their own version of that concept and the closest thing at their disposal was City v Country. However, instead of using City v Country as an opportunity to see how a Mullen could handle the representative environment and the challenge of playing with virtual strangers in limited preparation they ended up selecting Kurt Gidley, Brett Kimmorley & Preston Campbell over him.

The City side wasn't much better either, with both Anasta & Gower receiving the nod despite being in woeful form. Of course, nobody said this at the time, but in hindsight, it's amazing that Matt Orford didn't receive a shot at this time. He was a key member in Manly's ascension from celler dwellers yet a poor reputation basically made him selection repellant.

Now I'm not saying that Mullen's Country snub was the sole issue at play. It was sadly one of many for him.

Not only did the selectors think he wasn't good enough for City/Country there was also the fact he was...

- 19 years old and only played 31 games of first grade, 9 of them as a halfback.
- Being made to play in that halfback position
- His outside partner was Anasta who was going to ensure that Mullen played a traditional halfback role since he was a traditional five eigth. There's also the fact that he was never that great.
- He was going to have to make his debut at Suncorp Stadium, up against one of the best Queensland sides ever.

etc. etc.

And you know what? Despite all those factors at play, his worst crime was picking out Karmichael Hunt on the full one too many times. It was unfortunate too because at one point, it looked like Mullen had kicked a crucial 40/20, but the referees gave the feed to Queensland and he just folded from that point.

After that, they dropped Mullen and went back to Kimmorley who could do a basic job, no more no less and Jarrod would end up with a season ending injury.

From there, he's developed that Orford reputation and it's a shame because like Orford, he's clearly got talent. Just doesn't have the mental capacity it seems.

They've consistently, IMO, picked the wrong team that many times that it's staggering. How the **** Pearce has played so many Origins is staggering. They pick the right squad and I think the streak ends at 6.

I'd say the main problem is that the pendulum turned in the harshest of circumstances. Queensland put together one of their greatest ever line-ups where as NSW entered one of their leanest periods.

Naturally that was always going to happen with the retirement of Johns but I don't think they expected the amount of fall-out they experienced.

Just look at some of the players they lost for one reason or another

Anthony Minichiello
Matt King
Mark Gasnier
Trent Barrett
Timana Tahu
Brett Stewart
Greg Bird

Those were some key players and to lose a lot of them in a short space of time really hurt them.

But on top of that, NSW really did a poor job of building a side. They had a winning team, three in a row, yet made a few changes like dropping Fitzgibbon, Ryles etc for the new flavours in Kite & O'Donnell.

For me, that's been their biggest problem. Instead of building up their own guys, they're always made to be indispensable so a lot of players are there playing for them and not for each other. It got so bad, that they ended up naming Kidley, probably the least influential player in the side as captain and those years would be right up there as the worst for them.

If nothing else, Sticky brought them stability and built up a folk hero in Gal who the fans down there adore.

I believe they're on the right track and while I'm confident due to the two home games, I believe the Blues can make us fight for it if they pick and stick with a good side for Game 1.

Not only did the NSW selectors blood him too young, they also did it in such a haphazard fashion.

But on top of that, NSW really did a poor job of building a side. They had a winning team, three in a row, yet made a few changes like dropping Fitzgibbon, Ryles etc for the new flavours in Kite & O'Donnell.

For me, that's been their biggest problem. Instead of building up their own guys, they're always made to be indispensable so a lot of players are there playing for them and not for each other. It got so bad, that they ended up naming Kidley, probably the least influential player in the side as captain and those years would be right up there as the worst for them.

Exactly right. While NSW constantly tried to better their side by making more left-field selections, solid performers like Civoniceva and Steve Price were still getting picked for Queensland in 2006 despite not having won a series since 2001.

Right now, Mal is bringing in players like Papalii, Gillett and DCE and unofficially retiring players like Shillington and Ash Harrison. This shows that the QRL is still looking to the future while keeping the bulk of the successful players in the present.

Stability in the match squads and the lack of knee-jerk selections have played a huge part in Queensland's dynasty.

Exactly right. While NSW constantly tried to better their side by making more left-field selections, solid performers like Civoniceva and Steve Price were still getting picked for Queensland in 2006 despite not having won a series since 2001.

Right now, Mal is bringing in players like Papalii, Gillett and DCE and unofficially retiring players like Shillington and Ash Harrison. This shows that the QRL is still looking to the future while keeping the bulk of the successful players in the present.

Stability in the match squads and the lack of knee-jerk selections have played a huge part in Queensland's dynasty.

Also, NSW says that Qld picks players on form, but that is no where near the truth. It's the opposite in fact. NSW put too much emphasis on club form, while not taking in to account how the players around them are going. Pearce & Maloney only ever look good behind a dominating pack. They had that at the Roosters but you can't rely on that in Origin. Same goes for picking a washed-up Mini. NSW should have picked Hayne in the #1 for the past 6 years, but because Parra have mostly struggled, they've thrown him on the wing in favour of someone who's team is contributing to them looking good.

Qld on the other hand pick players who may not be the flashiest but do their job every week. When was the last time Ash Harrison was 'in form'? He's only been dropped because there are younger players ready to step up, but Harro was consistently chosen because Qld knew he'd do the job. NSW too often go for a Martin Kennedy, who has one or two great plays and becomes a media darling. Those plays earned Martin an 18th man spot, but he'll never be chosen if he doesn't grind out that stuff consistently. Kennedy wouldn't even be on anyone's radar if he didn't beat those two awful attempted tackles 3-4 years ago IMO, but if he was from NSW he would have been straight in the team.

And let's not even go in to what NSW go on about with so-called made-for-origin players. Their definition is someone who is too eager to resort to illegal tactics if things aren't going their way. That's not tough, that's mentally soft. Tough would be players who can take whatever niggle is dished out and still stick to the game plan. If Qld were selecting NSW's team, they'd go for players like Fensom. Hindmarsh would have got way more Origins and Alan Tongue would have got at least one jersey.

Also, NSW says that Qld picks players on form, but that is no where near the truth. It's the opposite in fact. NSW put too much emphasis on club form, while not taking in to account how the players around them are going. Pearce & Maloney only ever look good behind a dominating pack. They had that at the Roosters but you can't rely on that in Origin. Same goes for picking a washed-up Mini. NSW should have picked Hayne in the #1 for the past 6 years, but because Parra have mostly struggled, they've thrown him on the wing in favour of someone who's team is contributing to them looking good.

Qld on the other hand pick players who may not be the flashiest but do their job every week. When was the last time Ash Harrison was 'in form'? He's only been dropped because there are younger players ready to step up, but Harro was consistently chosen because Qld knew he'd do the job. NSW too often go for a Martin Kennedy, who has one or two great plays and becomes a media darling. Those plays earned Martin an 18th man spot, but he'll never be chosen if he doesn't grind out that stuff consistently. Kennedy wouldn't even be on anyone's radar if he didn't beat those two awful attempted tackles 3-4 years ago IMO, but if he was from NSW he would have been straight in the team.

And let's not even go in to what NSW go on about with so-called made-for-origin players. Their definition is someone who is too eager to resort to illegal tactics if things aren't going their way. That's not tough, that's mentally soft. Tough would be players who can take whatever niggle is dished out and still stick to the game plan. If Qld were selecting NSW's team, they'd go for players like Fensom. Hindmarsh would have got way more Origins and Alan Tongue would have got at least one jersey.

Fenson will most likely play Origin at some point I read in Big League earlier in the year that he is in contention for a spot in the team. I want him to get a country jumper at least for the expirience. I think it was Gorden Tallis that said how wrong NSW selectors were for not picking him until someone asked him who he would replace in the QLD team if he was a Maroon and Tallis had no answer.

can you tell me exactly who Tongue would've replaced in the Queensland team?

Fenson will most likely play Origin at some point I read in Big League earlier in the year that he is in contention for a spot in the team. I want him to get a country jumper at least for the expirience. I think it was Gorden Tallis that said how wrong NSW selectors were for not picking him until someone asked him who he would replace in the QLD team if he was a Maroon and Tallis had no answer.

Nobody. Because Queensland were winning. NSW weren't and they still didn't pick him.

Beat me too it. Exactly this. We picked Nate Myles when the Roosters were practically spooning it, Harrison as you said and any number of players because we knew they'd put in.

Not to mention, their teams under the Bellamy years always came off as a compromise because Craig had his hands full with Melbourne.

Craig would have to get one of his Melbourne boys in (Ben Cross, Brett White, Steve Turner, Anthony Quinn)
Bozo would select a Manly nuffie (Josh Perry, Jason King, David Williams, Glenn Stewart)
Heck, even Rothfield seemingly had a say. NSW would have to pick form players like McManus, Scott, Poore, Idris, Ennis etc.

At least in recent years, they've stuck solid to a core squad. The problem is, one of their cores is clearly not up to scratch and every now and then they convince themselves on something silly. Remember when Sticky convinced himself Hayne was a five eigth and most certainly not a fullback? Thanks Sticky.

Nobody. Because Queensland were winning. NSW weren't and they still didn't pick him.

This.

I hope you're right about Fensom. He's a definite toiler that you guys sorely need. Tackling machine. Will post my line up at some stage

Active Now

• Brocko
  • jd87
  • Xzei
  • Cavalo
  • Jazza
  • Broncorob
  • GCBRONCO
  • broncoscope
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • MrMoore
  • Allo
  • Mustafur
  • Justwin
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Johnny92
  • Alec
  • barker
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.