McCullough must start

I think he is just enjoying some stability in playing in one position.

lynx000 said:
I think he is just enjoying some stability in playing in one position.

Exactly. He knows what his role is, as opposed to Bennett trying to make another Berrigan out of him.

Yep, stability of position and being told he can chime in where he wants. Not just play his bit part while Lockyer and co run the show. I think that was one noticeable change in Bennett's coaching philosophy over the past decade. He stopped trusting individual players' instincts of what to do in attack and instead coached them to do their exact roles and nothing much else.

Compare it to when he had the likes of Lockyer, Langer, Walters, Renouf, Sailor etc it was more a case of "you guys know what to do, go do it". Much more freedom.

Admittedly the Broncos haven't had the natural talent in the past decade that they had the decade before, and that probably necessitated Bennett breaking things down more explicitly, but I think if anything he took it too far.

To me, so far it seems Henjak has taken the leash off a little bit, particularly with the forwards. They seem more willing to try an offload. It means they'll throw some bad ones as they learn when it's the right time and when it's not, but it'll sometimes result in awesome performances like Saturday.

Henjak seems to have changed the Broncos' style just enough to be noticeable, but without being a major change that confuses the players. He can see that Lockyer, Wallace, Hunt, Hodges, Folau, Michaels, McCullough and Thaiday in particular are good readers of the play in attack and don't need to be overcoached.

Conversely, Bennett seems to be applying his "this is how we play football" plan to the Dragons who haven't really played in that style before, and it's taking them time to adjust. However, it will work for them in time. Soward is a fairly natural playmaker, but Hornby is anything but. He needs to know what's happening when to execute things right.

Oh, this isn't a new thing with Henjak working with the forwards to use the ball more either. I remember going to preseason training in 2006 (late 2005 actually) and he spent a session with the forwards playing as backs. They had to run through moves with no less than 3 passes. If they didn't do 3 passes it was penalties (like push ups or whatever).

Maybe 3 years on that sort of work is paying off?

Coxy said:
Oh, this isn't a new thing with Henjak working with the forwards to use the ball more either. I remember going to preseason training in 2006 (late 2005 actually) and he spent a session with the forwards playing as backs. They had to run through moves with no less than 3 passes. If they didn't do 3 passes it was penalties (like push ups or whatever).

Maybe 3 years on that sort of work is paying off?

The ball movement has been great so far we actually made more offloads than the Warriors couldn't believe that stat, in saying that our stats are up in most categories.

The little changes made by Henjak was noticed by Gould and he has made the call "Premiership favourites".

Pffft, premiership favourites after round 3 means **** all. No idea why people bother trying to label favourites.

Pfft we have all but already won it. We are gods amongst men I tell you, gods!

LOL!

I still remember 2005. Round 1. Bulldogs absolutely annihilated St George-Illawarra 46-28. The Bulldogs had led 28-0 at half time and something like 40-0 not long after before clocking off. Everyone was saying they were certainties to go back to back after winning in 2004.

They missed the finals.

The competiton is so close that having a good start to year is very important.

The Origin period will really test us our depth and we do traditionally struggle post orgin, so the more points we have the better.

We have the backs to cover it this year, but do we have the forwards? I noticed that Palmer Wapau is not making the run on side for the reserve graders...

isn't Wapau returning from injury? We still have Sweeney & Kenny to come back in, and McGuire will be better for the run. Also Ah Mau is playing OK too.

Wapau played solid, whilst not really kicking out of first gear, for Redcliffe on the weekend.

In his first game back, he already looks to be so far ahead of QRL level that he has to step up sooner or later.

Wapau should get a few games in the Origin period and if he performs well he may cement a spot but he will need to be at his very best. Wapau is good fo depth if injuries strike although we have a 100 backrowers at the club.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Robboi_321
  • davidp
  • IceWorks
  • Old Mate
  • Spoon
  • Turks85
  • Fatboy
  • Xzei
  • Manofoneway
  • TimWhatley
  • Viti
  • Cavalo
  • Lozza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.