McGuire could start over Myles

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
MAROONS coach Kevin Walters has left the door open for Josh McGuire to play his way into a maiden starting jersey.

McGuire will clash with 29-game Queensland veteran Nate Myles at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night in a showdown which could define the Maroons’ front row.

The Broncos prop has made a remarkable return from an achilles injury this year, earning a Kangaroos debut last Friday.

McGuire is a certainty to be in Walters’ team for the series opener on June 1 but is likely to come off the bench, as he did in his two Origin matches last year.

Manly prop Myles has been a mainstay of Queensland’s forward pack during an outstanding representative career which has seen him miss just one Origin since debuting in 2006.

It is likely Walters will run with Myles and Test prop Matt Scott as his starting front rowers but the rookie coach said he was not sold on his 17.

“He (McGuire) is certainly right in the mix after his performance for Australia the other night,” Walters said.

“He’s doing everything right for the Broncos.

“In the Test, he had a good impact when he did come off the bench.

“We’re not sure who’s going to start where and play where.”

Myles came into the Queensland side as a backrower, making the move to the engine room in 2013 following the retirement of Petero Civoniceva.

He has been one of the Maroons’ most consistent players over a decade which has yielded nine series wins.

“They always get the job done well,” Walters said of Scott and Myles.

“All our middle guys are in good touch. They all play a very important role for Queensland.

“We’ve got to get through the next couple of weeks before we name our 17.

“Once we do that, we’ll sort out our starting positions and who’s coming off the bench.”

McGuire, 26, made his Origin debut last year but missed the historic 52-6 decider victory because of the achilles injury which also kept him out of the grand final.

His early-season form earnt Test selection under Mal Meninga and he repaid the former Queensland coach’s faith with 131m from 13 runs in a 30-minute cameo against the Kiwis.

“He’ll get a lot of confidence from it,” said McGuire’s Kangaroos, Queensland and Broncos teammate Darius Boyd.

“He’s been our best player pretty much. He’s come back from an achilles, played nine games and played for Australia.

“It will do him a world of good going back to Brisbane. When Origin comes around, he’ll be even better again.”

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

Last edited:
McGuire would handle it, no doubt about that, but I like his impact off the bench.

I think the teams more balanced with Moose coming off the bench. Myles is suited to soaking up early defence.
I agree with this.

Myles is a much better option for the initial onslaught through the middle.

McGuire is a real chance to start this year. He has been in far better form than Myles in fact most other front rowers have.

Why is club form so important when it comes to Origin?

Did focusing on club form help NSW in the past 10 years?

Nope.

Myles goes up another gear in Origin, and he would be useless off the bench.

Last edited:
I would also prefer Myles to start, if he's to be playing. Moose's fiery temperament may work against him if he can be goaded into conceding penalties.

Myles is better equipped to keep his head during the inevitable niggle. Once the refs put away the whistle following the initial obligatory penalties, bring on McGuire.

should myles even be selected? he has been horrible for manly this year. he looks so slow and i wonder if he will have any impact coming up against the likes of tamou, woods and the like?

should myles even be selected? he has been horrible for manly this year. he looks so slow and i wonder if he will have any impact coming up against the likes of tamou, woods and the like?

It was a similar story when he was at the Roosters though. I remember how much their fans would complain when he had a blinder for QLD and turned to puss for them. That being said, he was younger then so who knows.

Myles grows another arm and a leg when he dons the Qld maroon. He will be fine!

Myles started the year slowly, but for around a month now, he's back to his usual standard. He's never been a game-breaker and is usually good for a few errors, particularly in defence, but he is a constant presence and has a knack of getting the opposition into a grind. His form was never that great at the Gold Coast, and it rarely affected his Origin performance.

Yes I think so - if not who would you pick ahead of him?

As others have said is one to grow another leg for Queensland, and his last couple of games haven't been terrible. He's a good man to teach Moose in the art of the origin prop as well.

At any rate I'd say this will most likely be his final year in Maroon, Napa'd be pretty close this year if it wasn't for the ban....

Moose's metre's combined with Napa's hitting power has the potential to form a beaut front row pairing for the Maroon's if they can both keep it up... We're going to need it as well, there's decent crop of forwards coming through south of the tweed as well.

Yes I think so - if not who would you pick ahead of him?

As others have said is one to grow another leg for Queensland, and his last couple of games haven't been terrible. He's a good man to teach Moose in the art of the origin prop as well.

At any rate I'd say this will most likely be his final year in Maroon, Napa'd be pretty close this year if it wasn't for the ban....

Moose's metre's combined with Napa's hitting power has the potential to form a beaut front row pairing for the Maroon's if they can both keep it up... We're going to need it as well, there's decent crop of forwards coming through south of the tweed as well.
giphy.gif

I tend to agree that this years series will truly be about the forwards. I feel as though the younger nsw forwards will be sick of the past results and with greater maturity will become a greater threat. It will be no surprise to lose this year. Great to see McGoo getting the recognition he deserves although I would be expecting Myles to start. If he fires, all well and good but if he is found out then we will have a problem..

Myles shouldn't even be in the side so of course McGuire should start. It is a no brainer.

Myles at origin level is a different beast to club level. He never lets Queensland down even when his club form is poor. Moose has to bide his time and wait until one of our starting forwards stops doing the job.

Myles at origin level is a different beast to club level. He never lets Queensland down even when his club form is poor. Moose has to bide his time and wait until one of our starting forwards stops doing the job.
Agree. They put fifty on em last start - the spot is his to lose.

If Myles could only teach McGuire the secret to trippling his club form....

Unread

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Xzei
  • Justwin
  • Foordy
  • Wendall Taylor
  • heartly87
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Fatboy
  • ozzball
  • kman
  • mitch222
  • Thelmus
  • MrRobot
  • leon.bott
  • Fitzy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dash
  • Manlyman
  • broncsgoat
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.