Melbouorne Cup Thread (2008)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Melbouorne Cup Thread

It's a huge bum about Zipping getting stuck behind Gallopin!! Do any of you horse racing experts know if he can go around again or is he too old now?

He will go around again for sure - he is fairly lightly raced for a 7yo. Ran a huge race for 2nd in the Cox Plate and ridden better yesterday would probably have finished 5th or 6th. Very underrated horse who if set for the right race could easily win one of the big ones during the autumn.

I reckon Viewed will win it.

bring back Doreimus!!!!!!

C'est had a senSATIONAL run to finish third. V. happy - I finished around $60 in front after everything was taken into account.

I still don't know how Septimus was backed so heavily. Ditto Yeats in recent years. Was funny though - I knew it wouldn't win, but told everyone it was a definite after 400m. Fancy sending a stayer out to match it with the pace? Farking horrible run.

The Cup motto holds firm:

Include a Cummings horse.
Always include the Geelong Cup winner.
Look to those who finished well in the Cox or Caulfield without being pushed.
Stay the hell away from overrated European stayers who couldn't win a race in the Southern Hemisphere if their lives depended on it.

And you've usually got last least three or four of your top seven finishers right there.

thanks mick, ill remember that! when is the geelong cup usually held?

pennywisealfie said:
thanks mick, ill remember that! when is the geelong cup usually held?

Wednesday nearly 2 weeks prior to Melbourne Cup.

Yep - Caulfield/Cox and Geelong Cup are held in the 3-4 weeks before the Cup.

Now, a Cox/Melbourne or Caulfield/Melbourne winning double is nigh on impossible. I always look for ones, like C'est La Guerre this year, who are finishing well but clearly looking for more distance. Also helps if you can tell they aren't being driven TOO hard - like the race is a good warm up for something a bit bigger rather than their grand final.

Geelong Cup has been a great yardstick for Melbourne for a few years now. Not of winning both, as such, but the Geelong Cup winner nearly always performs pretty damn well in the big'un, and I'd never put on a first four without it!

mick! said:
C'est had a senSATIONAL run to finish third. V. happy - I finished around $60 in front after everything was taken into account.

it ran really well but did the jockey screw it up? it looked like it was blocked in on the home stretch when it seemed like it was ready to bolt. could it of won?

pennywisealfie said:
mick! said:

it ran really well but did the jockey screw it up? it looked like it was blocked in on the home stretch when it seemed like it was ready to bolt. could it of won?

Could've won but it was more bad luck than jockey error. A couple died in their runs which gave C'est La Guerre no room to get out with Ice Chariot right beside it. C'est La Guerre's jockey Brett Prebble is one of the best in Australasia and I really hope he comes back for the ride on him in next year's Cup because he is the only one I would back at this stage.

Yeah, pretty much what Jeb said. Could've won. Still, all things considered, a great run IMO.

Does anyone known of any scratchings for the big race tomorrow?

Or is it as per the form guide for now?

Any tips this year Jeb?

No scratchings at this stage.

I just think only bad luck can stop Viewed from going back to back.

atm im gonna go viewed, master o'reilly, cest le guerre and Leica Ding in a box trifecta

I think you've got most of the rough chances covered penny - I'd also include Alcopop, Roman Emporer and Daffodil. Good luck!

Would love to see Viewed win it and I can't really see anything else in the same class so that's where my money will be. I'd also love to see my punting form from the weekend continue over to tomorrow! [icon_pray.

Master O'Reilly fo sho'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Brocko
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.