Melbourne Storm and the great celery hat debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't believe they would've had the team they have now if they didn't cheat the cap. Every team has to give up their star players

Like how the broncos didn't get to keep Lockyer, Tallis, Webcke, Thaiday, Hodges, Langer, Walters, Thorn, Carroll and so on? Apart from smith/Cronk/slater the storm have very little in the way of big stars. What they do have is a coach that can build a premiership winning team on the back of those 3 players.

Like how the broncos didn't get to keep Lockyer, Tallis, Webcke, Thaiday, Hodges, Langer, Walters, Thorn, Carroll and so on? Apart from smith/Cronk/slater the storm have very little in the way of big stars. What they do have is a coach that can build a premiership winning team on the back of those 3 players.

I'll agree to that. Even though I don't like the guy he is a brilliant coach and knows how to set a perfect game plan.

I don't know how the NRL could have punished the Storm more fairly.

Ban all 9 players that signed illegal contracts? It's difficult to prove intent and whether they were in on the legality of their deals, especially when you consider the complexities of third party agreements that give certain sides (eg. ours) an advantage. Sure, ban their player managers who's job it is to be aware of this cheating but I don't see how that hurts Melbourne at all.

I'd be interested to hear some suggestions because there probably was a superior solution. I just haven't heard it.

It's a credit to their organisation that they developed that trio. Unlike say GI, Hayne, Lockyer and co. who naturally picked up the game, all 3 had to make adjustments to become the players they are today. Smith was a failed junior half who couldn't get a look into the rep. teams until he made the transition to hooker where he's become the best post-contested scrums hooker in the game. Slater was a miniature halfback who didn't have the necessary skills but succesfully made the transition to fullback where he continues to learn & amaze world-wide. Then there's Cronk, a Union player who on face value isn't overly talented. There are halves with better passing, kicking & running games yet Cronk has been in the top 3 halves for the past 6 years.

It wasn't like the Storm just poached them, they helped them become the superstars they are and they deserve to enjoy the fruits of their hard work. So should every side.

AP - Not sure what years you're referring to but we didn't get to keep Thorn, Walters, Carroll, Hodges (2000). Before 98, the salary cap didn't play as big a role and it wouldn't until around 2000-01 due to all those sketchy ARL/Super League/Joint Venture deals.

Last edited:
It's still only a matter of time before a player does get greedy and challenges the salary cap in court. And they will win. It's a restraint of trade.

If that gentleman's agreement between the RLPA and the NRL that the salary cap is accepted breaks down, you watch the game devour itself. Again.

It's a credit to their organisation that they developed that trio. Unlike say GI, Hayne, Lockyer and co. who naturally picked up the game, all 3 had to make adjustments to become the players they are today. Smith was a failed junior half who couldn't get a look into the rep. teams until he made the transition to hooker where he's become the best post-contested scrums hooker in the game. Slater was a miniature halfback who didn't have the necessary skills but succesfully made the transition to fullback where he continues to learn & amaze world-wide. Then there's Cronk, a Union player who on face value isn't overly talented. There are halves with better passing, kicking & running games yet Cronk has been in the top 3 halves for the past 6 years.

The closest to reality this thread has seen. Summed it up well Big Pete.

It's still only a matter of time before a player does get greedy and challenges the salary cap in court. And they will win. It's a restraint of trade.

If that gentleman's agreement between the RLPA and the NRL that the salary cap is accepted breaks down, you watch the game devour itself. Again.

Honestly, I wonder what percentage of players the "glass ceiling" of the salary cap actually affects? That is, the players that actually have the ability to earn double what they would earn in the NRL playing Super League or Rugby or now AFL?

Honestly, I wonder what percentage of players the "glass ceiling" of the salary cap actually affects? That is, the players that actually have the ability to earn double what they would earn in the NRL playing Super League or Rugby or now AFL?

i think youd find most semi-big name regular first graders could earn considerably more in the Super League. they throw cash at any old nuffie because generally even a regular NRL player can be a superstar over in the Super League.

Glass ceiling is lower at some clubs. Clubs with a lot of big name players can't upgrade players to the same level. All you need is a player who wants an upgrade and to stay at the club that developed them...

I don't know how the NRL could have punished the Storm more fairly.

Ban all 9 players that signed illegal contracts? It's difficult to prove intent and whether they were in on the legality of their deals, especially when you consider the complexities of third party agreements that give certain sides (eg. ours) an advantage. Sure, ban their player managers who's job it is to be aware of this cheating but I don't see how that hurts Melbourne at all.

I'd be interested to hear some suggestions because there probably was a superior solution. I just haven't heard it.

It wasn't like the Storm just poached them, they helped them become the superstars they are and they deserve to enjoy the fruits of their hard work. So should every side.

AP - Not sure what years you're referring to but we didn't get to keep Thorn, Walters, Carroll, Hodges (2000). Before 98, the salary cap didn't play as big a role and it wouldn't until around 2000-01 due to all those sketchy ARL/Super League/Joint Venture deals.

Best punishment was to kick them out of the competition.

If that doesn't work, then all contracts are voided and the players on the books at any time between 2006-2010 can never be signed by Melbourne again. Melbourne start from scratch.

And still you'd whinge if that was in fact what happened.....you'd cry, they didn't go far enough !! I want more ,more , more !!! and that's why people like you should never have power or influence.....completely incapable of a balanced judgement.

Some of this comment is just so unbalanced. The ppl who were proven to be complicit have all been removed from the club or punished.

How would removing the club from the comp have helped further the interests of the game?

The club and the ppl left to continue have to be admired for the massive achievement this year.

My names Compound fracture, I like fishing in a boat, wearing strange hats and making outlandish statements on a forum.

I'm not trying to be the boss of the NRL, I'm just stating what I believe shoud be done. Just like everyone else that has ever posted on a forum has done before me.

Yes, I am biased as hell, I admit to it. But like I said, I'm not trying to be the boss of the NRL, just trying to be me.

Now, back to the boat, i hear there are some fish enjoying their ocean lives too much!

And still you'd whinge if that was in fact what happened.....you'd cry, they didn't go far enough !! I want more ,more , more !!! and that's why people like you should never have power or influence.....completely incapable of a balanced judgement.

LOL. Is that all you bring up? About us mere mortals never being in a position of "power or influence"... LMAO. Why do you keep bringing that up as if to show you are somehow superior to everyone else?

Cos he's on a boat with T Pain riding dolphins and shit

Bit off topic but Super League isn't what it was which is why you're an influx of their talent joining our game.

A lot of their stronger clubs are struggling to keep a-float with Bradford all but going under.

They'll sign the odd fringe first grader or hack but the days of offering ridiculous money to lure players is over.

Why do you keep going on about leadership. Not one of us have said we are in a position of leadership or wish to be. We are just normal people with opinions to share on a forum. You seem to think that your opinion should be respected, while others are open to ridicule for expressing theirs

Hey, I'm just a person with an opinion, something you all say you respect. My opinion is that some of you are reactionist jerks with little understanding and even less compassion. Some of you are just plain dumb, thick as a brick. I say that I am superior, wiser and certainly more intelligent than most. Having lived longer, seen more and with greater intellect ,I draw much better conclusions. My views are steeped in wisdom and when combined with my higher level of comprehension result in deductions worthy of note.

Other peoples opinions are open for ridicule as are mine. It just that I'm always right and other people are always wrong. I know better than all you. I'm smarter........LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!you people really are so easy to hook from my boat, I've even got my funny hat on...

I'll have whatever Popeye is smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Battler
  • Behind enemy lines
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Socnorb
  • Xzei
  • Brotherdu
  • mieko
  • Skathen
  • Jeza23
  • Lostboy
  • Fozz
  • GCBRONCO
  • johnny plath
  • lynx000
  • Harry Sack
  • Mister Wright
  • barker
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.