Melbourne Storm sold for 1 dollar...

Ya sister reckons I can lift my leg plenty high enough :P

OK, wrong thread, apologies.

Back on topic.

Frankly I think we should just bed down these independent commission first, then worry about expansion etc. There's lots of battles to win in this regard, particularly in wresting power away from the numbnuts dinosaurs at the QRL and NSWRL.

Why not just have a game NSW vs QLD and let the winning team run the NRL.......

Because NSW have a habit of pulling off one flukey win a year...knowing our luck, it'll be that game! :P

nah they pull off wins when it doesnt matter, so its safe

Can't find the required tool for him to be pulled off with.

ZING!

haha thought it was you on Jay Lee's status.

Sunny Coast will be the next NRL team. One of the fastest growing regions in Qld, if not Australia.

Central Coast has Newcastle and the Gold Coast within a stones throw. Adelaide, Perth both "gimmick" teams and the only reason the Storm have been successful is because they are owned by News Limited and are, for all intents and purposes, a second SE Qld team operating from Melbourne.

SE Qld needs another team, but Brisbane is and will always be a one team town. The only place in SE Qld that has an identity that doesn't have a team yet is the Sunny Coast. A "Crushers" like outfit will be doomed to fail.

Sunny Coast is the next most viable alternative (so long as they get a smart operator like Michael Searle to run it).

BUT IMHO, the NRL needs to get its house in order and a better TV rights deal.

Hahaha...man, I wish I could throw a stone that far! :P

Central Coast has Newcastle and the entire city of Sydney within a "stone's throw" (if you define a stone's throw as less than 2 hours drive).

NRL is its own worst enemy anyway. I do agree about sorting out this independent com business first. It wasn't talked about all year but suddenly in the off season they are throwing a bombshell... They should do it right. It deserves it.

They have already stated no expansion till 2013 but word is hardly bond these days otherwise SBW would still be here. I gotta ask this first though, would the sydney teams survive? Mainly sharks... I think most of the other teams have enough numbers don't they?

Under the new scheme i believe its set up so that every team will survive.

cashed up teams like the Broncos will help to support the teams loosing money like the Storm,Rabbits and Sharks.

Yep. Just like the communist regime the Copenhagen summit is hoping to push on us.

lockyer47 said:
NRL is its own worst enemy anyway. I do agree about sorting out this independent com business first. It wasn't talked about all year but suddenly in the off season they are throwing a bombshell... They should do it right. It deserves it.

You are correct - it does deserve to be done right and I would imagine it wasn't talked about much during the season so that they could get it right. Michael Searle and some others have been doing a lot of work for a long time, quietly and in the background on this commission and getting it set up properly. Going public about it all along the way would have just created an opportunity for detractors to snipe and criticise and have too many people giving their input and opinion, which ultimately would have led to it not being done right. Plus it would have been another distraction from the awesome on-field action this past year.

lockyer47 said:
They have already stated no expansion till 2013 but word is hardly bond these days otherwise SBW would still be here.

The difference being that all 16 club CEOs voted against expansion beyond 2013 - it would take 16 people/organisations going back on their word not one greedy "could-have-been-but-never-really-was-that-great" believing too much in his own hype.

FTR I don't have a problem with no expansion before then. Expansion is another thing that needs to be done right. Though I would like any clubs to be included in an expanded competition to be given at least 12-18 months notification that they are going to be in, so that they can get themselves set up to hit the ground running and not trying to get organised at the last minute.

NRL clubs threaten to withhold players from all representative games
NRL clubs are threatening to withhold their players from all representative games, including the State of Origin series, if the ARL keeps stalling over a decision to implement an independent commission.

The threat is considered a last resort but shows how determined the clubs are to have the code overhauled.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 66,00.html

Wow big move but will they do it? Says further down in the article
"A move to boycott rep games could open a Pandora's box as players are contracted to make themselves available or face being stood down from NRL games."

So could that mean every player could be banned from NRL for a few weeks if the clubs dont let them play Rep?

Active Now

• rj9
  • bb_gun
  • Morkel
  • Wolfie
  • Bucking Beads
  • FACTHUNT
  • Old Mate
  • lynx000
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Foordy
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Browny
  • Broncosarethebest
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.