OFFICIAL Michael Maguire Appointed Head Coach

This.

He came across incredibly well in that presser.

My favourite things:
- mentioned at length how much he wants to bond with the players, special attention to Walsh, Reyno (obviously) and Payne. Sounds like he's already spoken with Payne about this appointment, tbh
- develop the players, including their football character (exactly what we've been screaming for)
- he's learned to discover what works with some players doesn't work for others, so he is keen to manage players as best suits them
- embracing the community
- history might be important but is about the current crop
- happy to work with the 'history' but with focus on the present
- happy to talk to Gordie, and happy to give him something to talk about this week (lol get rekt)

The main thing - he didn't want the questions to stop. And there was little to no repetition of answers.

Not sure that Teo and TBaz are safe.

DD basically told the old boys to get get over it and get on board, or get f**ked, politely.
Love Kevie, but so refreshing to have a well-spoken presser instead of stuttering gibberish

Love Kevie, but so refreshing to have a well-spoken presser instead of stuttering gibberish
I love Kevvie too. His conferences were always about emotion, talent, and pride. Madge clearly wants bonds, and hard work.

I am already nervous for the first 6 weeks

He always has. If you watched the the tigers doco you would see.

Although some may say it was teetering
on movie quote cringe esque sorta stuff lol. He was probably putting it on a bit for the cameras though.
I'll be honest I care very little for the NRL as the years have passed. I purely follow the Broncos only so my knowledge on anything but them is awful lol

If they ain't a bronco I ain't interested
angry peter pan GIF

Mostly what I got from the tigers doc was just swearing and philosophical words for the sake of words, but I guess you can’t really talk about tactics at half time

@Bucking Beads

No offence, but are you actually a Broncos supporter?

No matter what they are trying to do, you bitch about everything.

Yes the club has stuffed up, but they are trying fix things up.

So if Madge etc decides to get rid of 'fan' favourites etc, so be it.
I think he's tallis

Madge:

“The Broncos are one of rugby league’s great clubs and it will be an honour to step into the role of head coach. The Broncos organisation has a high expectation on everything it does. It’s built a great history and shown the strength of what a club can be and what it can mean to fans. Playing my part in the great vision of what the Broncos stand for is the exciting part for me. We want the members to turn up and be proud of the way we play, proud of their team. I can’t wait to get started in Brisbane.”​
“I like that Brisbane’s got that prestige, it’s a huge club and brand. A challenge like that makes you hungry for more. It’s not the first time I’ve talked about wanting this role. I love the big clubs. All NRL clubs are big in their own way but the Broncos mean a lot to the town. It’s got a big space in the competition. They fill a big space in the competition. I’m looking forward to being able to try and take all the different talents but then build a character around the team.”​
“I’m not going to put a timeline on a premiership, but I’m in a rush. We all want to have success and I’ll work every day to improve. The players all talk about how great the club is so that’s exciting. Winning a grand final would be extremely special but I know a lot of work has to be done and I’ll start today. I love the expectation. That’s part of what helps go towards success every day. The expectation is you turn up and are at your best. We all play a part. Everyone in this organisation plays a part in the success. It’s the past players to everyone involved who will create that and enjoy that. There’s nothing better than when you see a club rise because everyone goes on the journey together. I like to create something great wherever it is I go and there’s a great opportunity here at the Broncos to do that.”​
“I’m happy for the old boys to have their opinions and I’m happy to talk to anyone. Everyone’s got their own opinions, but we want to make great performances on the field that they can be proud of. They’ve been able to put a history into this organisation but it’s about this current crop of players creating their own now. I like the history. That’s the thing that draws me to the Broncos, the history and also being able to create history with the current playing group. I’ve studied every player that plays for the Broncos for a long time. I know their capabilities, it’s about being able to do that every day. I always look for a player of talent and character as well. Character plays the biggest part in any success I’ve had across various organisations. The building of the person is very important and the talent comes off the back of that. It’s a great club and we can create how we want to be and where we want to take the club.”​
“Back then it wasn’t to be. I’ve gone through the Origin campaign I had and enjoyed that immensely, but I am a career coach. I enjoy the daily stuff. Origin was an incredible experience, but I love the day to day. I’ve missed having staff and players around me daily. I never thought I’d be sitting here a couple of days ago. It did happen quickly, but clubs move and circumstances happen. I’m extremely hungry to win another competition. All organisations aspire to do that, but I see the opportunities and ability of what a club like the Broncos could be.”​
“I loved every minute coaching the Blues. To feel the support of a state, and everyone that was involved in the team, players and staff, it was an incredible moment. That’s what makes me hungry to want to go back and coach more and more in the NRL space. The NSWRL were great and very understanding. The position was very rewarding and naturally I expected to be doing it again next year but they’ve always known that I see myself as a career coach and I do miss club coaching.”​
“The players and the staff were incredible, absolutely incredible. I think they’re in a place where they can take things forward with or without me. I was only one piece of the puzzle. Everyone had to play their part to be where they are now and the group is set up to keep building on our success this year. I suppose if you can bleed for the cause, that’s what I like building … I actually like building something that can be self-sustainable and keep rolling. The staff are in place. The NSW players understand what it takes, they’ve built the expectations, so there’s no reason why it can’t keep progressing in the way it has. It will be hard to leave because coaching at Origin level probably gave me a lot more than I expected. It taught me a lot. I think it’s made me a way better coach. Many of the things that it’s given me is what I’m going to take moving forward, which is this opportunity in front of me.”​

I'll be honest I care very little for the NRL as the years have passed. I purely follow the Broncos only so my knowledge on anything but them is awful lol

If they ain't a bronco I ain't interested
angry peter pan GIF

I mean if you're a fan of the game I found it pretty interesting. Same with the Redcliffe documentary about their inception into the NRL. It's always cool to see behind the scenes footage regardless of who it is.

Although with that being said I don't think you can even watch the tigers doco anymore lol. Looks like fox removed it? Gotta love digital media.

Madge said he's looking forward to reuniting with Reyno, who's been there at the "top end" and having a chat with Reece. But nothing about former Tigers Billy and Jock. What does it all mean?

well yes... but his confidence got shot, just like Ezra's did this year and he fell to bits, like Ezra did this year is more my meaning.
Chill. It was too good an opening to add a smart-ass one liner.

God I hope he tells Oates to find himself a sprint coach and find some more speed then give him another chance.
It should be possible at 29 to find a few mtrs.
Send him for an off-season to 'recuperate' at the foot of the Blue Mountains with the 'riff backs. They seem to have some magical recuperation formula there.

Madge:

“The Broncos are one of rugby league’s great clubs and it will be an honour to step into the role of head coach. The Broncos organisation has a high expectation on everything it does. It’s built a great history and shown the strength of what a club can be and what it can mean to fans. Playing my part in the great vision of what the Broncos stand for is the exciting part for me. We want the members to turn up and be proud of the way we play, proud of their team. I can’t wait to get started in Brisbane.”​
“I like that Brisbane’s got that prestige, it’s a huge club and brand. A challenge like that makes you hungry for more. It’s not the first time I’ve talked about wanting this role. I love the big clubs. All NRL clubs are big in their own way but the Broncos mean a lot to the town. It’s got a big space in the competition. They fill a big space in the competition. I’m looking forward to being able to try and take all the different talents but then build a character around the team.”​
“I’m not going to put a timeline on a premiership, but I’m in a rush. We all want to have success and I’ll work every day to improve. The players all talk about how great the club is so that’s exciting. Winning a grand final would be extremely special but I know a lot of work has to be done and I’ll start today. I love the expectation. That’s part of what helps go towards success every day. The expectation is you turn up and are at your best. We all play a part. Everyone in this organisation plays a part in the success. It’s the past players to everyone involved who will create that and enjoy that. There’s nothing better than when you see a club rise because everyone goes on the journey together. I like to create something great wherever it is I go and there’s a great opportunity here at the Broncos to do that.”​
“I’m happy for the old boys to have their opinions and I’m happy to talk to anyone. Everyone’s got their own opinions, but we want to make great performances on the field that they can be proud of. They’ve been able to put a history into this organisation but it’s about this current crop of players creating their own now. I like the history. That’s the thing that draws me to the Broncos, the history and also being able to create history with the current playing group. I’ve studied every player that plays for the Broncos for a long time. I know their capabilities, it’s about being able to do that every day. I always look for a player of talent and character as well. Character plays the biggest part in any success I’ve had across various organisations. The building of the person is very important and the talent comes off the back of that. It’s a great club and we can create how we want to be and where we want to take the club.”​
“Back then it wasn’t to be. I’ve gone through the Origin campaign I had and enjoyed that immensely, but I am a career coach. I enjoy the daily stuff. Origin was an incredible experience, but I love the day to day. I’ve missed having staff and players around me daily. I never thought I’d be sitting here a couple of days ago. It did happen quickly, but clubs move and circumstances happen. I’m extremely hungry to win another competition. All organisations aspire to do that, but I see the opportunities and ability of what a club like the Broncos could be.”​
“I loved every minute coaching the Blues. To feel the support of a state, and everyone that was involved in the team, players and staff, it was an incredible moment. That’s what makes me hungry to want to go back and coach more and more in the NRL space. The NSWRL were great and very understanding. The position was very rewarding and naturally I expected to be doing it again next year but they’ve always known that I see myself as a career coach and I do miss club coaching.”​
“The players and the staff were incredible, absolutely incredible. I think they’re in a place where they can take things forward with or without me. I was only one piece of the puzzle. Everyone had to play their part to be where they are now and the group is set up to keep building on our success this year. I suppose if you can bleed for the cause, that’s what I like building … I actually like building something that can be self-sustainable and keep rolling. The staff are in place. The NSW players understand what it takes, they’ve built the expectations, so there’s no reason why it can’t keep progressing in the way it has. It will be hard to leave because coaching at Origin level probably gave me a lot more than I expected. It taught me a lot. I think it’s made me a way better coach. Many of the things that it’s given me is what I’m going to take moving forward, which is this opportunity in front of me.”​

Yeh, blah, blah, blah Madge. You got the platitudes just about right mate. Just too much NSW shit at the end of your talk. Always finish on the now and why you're here. I know the NSW's bit was to keep them cockroaches sweet and leave the door ajar for an escape trapdoor when the time comes to use it, but there was just a wee bit too much for my liking.

Take a tip from your predecessor and don't mention them again while you're here if you want to garner any kind of support.

Mostly what I got from the tigers doc was just swearing and philosophical words for the sake of words, but I guess you can’t really talk about tactics at half time

They brought this up as a negative on NRL 360 ... But I have no doubt that if they did a doco on Bellamy at the Storm, the guy whose job it was to beep out swearing would be working overtime

Madge:

Did you type all of this out?

How long ago was the Tigers thing?

What were we all doing then, and have we all evolved in our own way and are we all more knowledgeable in life, work and love?

What and how anyone does, says or acts years ago has no reflection on today.

He's the new Broncos head coach and as such will have my full support. The media can all do one.

Unfortunately, and I know you'll dispute this, but Payne isn't the best prop in the game. He's brilliant at what he does, but what he does isn't what a great prop should do. He doesn't run hard, there's no intimidation, he doesn't offload, his play the balls are slow, he doesn't sting in defense, his goal line defense kinda sucks too. He's fit as **** and makes a lot of metres, but we don't need metres from him. We need a quick play the ball while he's got 3 or 4 blokes hanging off him instead of carrying them an extra two metres while the defensive line resets.

The most laughable comment I've ever seen on this forum for a while, thanks for the chuckle Cult.

There's a tiny amount of truth hidden in your comment, I will agree that his defense leaves a lot to be desired, however, I suspect that's more of a game plan decision from him and the coaching staff. Reading between the lines, it seems the game plan is to not have him wear himself out making an absurd amount of tackles each game, or wear himself by making repeated sprint efforts off the defensive line to put on big shots. That's simply the role we've got him in, we don't have the luxury of a Penrith Panthers who get almost their entire yardage from their back 5, so they can afford to have Leota & Fisher-Harris focus 80% of their energy on contact in defense and line-speed. They also have the luxury of spellng those two for much longer than we're able to spell Payne, allowing for more front-loading of energy. In an alternate universe where we had better bench forwards and 3 outside backs capable of running for 200m every week, I'm quite certain we'd see a much different version of Haas.

Now, on to the absolutely absurd claim that he doesn't run hard, and doesn't offload.. wow. This claim just isn't based in reality. What statistical metric would you to marry up with running hard as a middle forward? I think it has to be tackle busts, right? The only way you're busting tackles is by running hard in the modern NRL.

Let's just look at the last 2 years, because I can't be bothered going back further -

2023 - 4.9 tackle busts per game, 2.2 offloads per game
2024 - 5.2 tackle busts per game, 1.6 offloads per game

Now the question is, where do those numbers rate amongst props in the NRL? Great question..

2023 - #1 prop in the NRL for tackle busts per game, #1 prop in the NRL for offloads per game
2024 - #1 prop in the NRL for tackle busts per game, #2 prop in the NRL for offloads per game

You say we don't need metres from him.. what? That's exactly what we need from him, we have nobody else in the entire squad to make metres.

He also had comfortably the most post-contact metres per game in the entire NRL for 2023, if that counts for anything. What argument could you possibly make that Payne Haas doesn't run hard and doesn't offload?

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Emanon
  • Financeguy
  • Gaz
  • I bleed Maroon
  • broncsgoat
  • Brocko
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dexter
  • Galah
  • RolledOates
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Howie
  • Foordy
  • Astro
  • Footy Fanatic
  • bert_lifts
  • Reds2011
  • Ondi
  • BruiserMk1
... and 26 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.