OFFICIAL Michael Maguire Appointed Head Coach

Why is Tallis & co bagging the Maguire signing, but not bagging Lockyer for sacking Kevvie.
He's been questioning the club's administration and that includes Lockyer.

The buck stops at the board.

But it is still a fact.

Tallis is generally right more than wrong on most things. YMMV on his delivery.

I like that he rarely holds back.

You are happily hand waving away a premiership both in the super league and here (a 44 year drought breaking one at that) and pretending all he has done is win the origin.

And how long ago were both those premierships?

Besides I'm not hand waiving that away, I'm pointing out that saying him missing finals in his last six seasons is not something to shrug your shoulders at.

As I said, I want to be proven wrong but I'm not ignorant that he is not an elite coach, he needs to prove that he is. I am more than hoping he does but it isn't based on RECENT track record, it is based purely on hope.

You know who else won multiple premierships YEARS ago? Tim Sheens, how did his last coaching stint go?

The funniest thing I have heard from all this madge signing stuff is boomers like Dean Ritchie saying he is going to cut the rot of reece walsh wearing big ass sun glasses in the dressing room and nail polish like that was the reason the Broncos sucked this year. Deadset.... need to weed some of these dinosaurs out of these cushy jobs. He would have a stroke if he watched the nba or nfl

Congrats on agreeing with Tallis, must feel good to support someone that actively hates us.

Most coaches are ‘failed’ by that metric or else they aren’t available. If you used that same thinking the Panthers wouldn’t have gotten Cleary back. It’s a disingenuous point that Tallis is making and a lot of people let him get away with it.
Lol I'm not supporting tallis, I'm just agreeing that I'm skeptical of appointing someone who hasn't made the finals in 6 seasons. It's a good point.

Also skeptical of madge specifically who unlike cleary, didn't Improve the tigers once in any of his 4 seasons he was there. (9th, 11th, 13th, spoon).

The last time he improved an NRL club was over a decade ago. If he doesnt get us to a grand final by 2027 tallis will be right. Lucky for Madge, he's not building a team of wooden spooners. Majority of his roster played a grand final 12 months ago. There's no excuses for him.

Madge didn't do anything at the Tigers, you can't tell me he left that club in a better position than it were in when he took the job. This is alarming, Kev left the Broncos in a better position, unquestionably. This is something I am finding very hard to get out of my head. It's quite possible and highly probable that Maguire sat down after the Tigers job and told himself he's not walking into a broken club ever again.

I also think there's this huge misconception about Maguire probably based on his demeanour when he fronts up to media. He comes across as a hard nosed no nonsense kind of guy, if that were true people wouldn't want to play for him. You've got to be personable in at least some way to your playing group, you can't just be a dictator, which I don't believe he is. That's the way people think of him though. It's not accurate.

It's quite possible and highly probable that Maguire sat down after the Tigers job and told himself he's not walking into a broken club ever again.

Broncos ARE a broken club. Why won't some people see that.

We have been broken since WB came back, the rot started way back then.

WB leaves each team he coaches worse off. Us, Souths, Newcastle & it takes the club years to recover. No idea has left the Phins, maybe not their long enough to cause damage.

Players in the end, didn't give a fig about playing for us. They showed no pride in the jersey etc.

Madge didn't do anything at the Tigers, you can't tell me he left that club in a better position than it were in when he took the job. This is alarming, Kev left the Broncos in a better position, unquestionably. This is something I am finding very hard to get out of my head. It's quite possible and highly probable that Maguire sat down after the Tigers job and told himself he's not walking into a broken club ever again.

I also think there's this huge misconception about Maguire probably based on his demeanour when he fronts up to media. He comes across as a hard nosed no nonsense kind of guy, if that were true people wouldn't want to play for him. You've got to be personable in at least some way to your playing group, you can't just be a dictator, which I don't believe he is. That's the way people think of him though. It's not accurate.
dont think he was afforded a decent cap position to do anything at the tigers either was really hamstrung by some shit contracts russell packer or josh reynolds comes to mind thanks ivan for loading up some duds before walking out on the club to greener pastures.

The club definitely needs shaking up .. the talent's all there, any coach would give half his ass to work with our roster but, as the saying goes .. "you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs" .. hope the 2025 'omelette' is nice an tasty and we're not left with some of that egg on our faces. (sorry 'bout all the metaphors)

But it is still a fact. You can hand wave it away as saying yeah but Tigers and that's anyone's choice to make. It doesn't change the FACT that in his last SIX NRL seasons, he hasn't made the finals. We just sacked a coach who made the GF last year and was arguably one play away from beating the now four time champions. And many are waving that away as a fluke.

So relative recent success is irrelevant for Kevvie but because Maguire got a stacked NSW origin team to beat an injury hampered Qld team with a rattled, inexperienced coach, come on down! Maguire's career record is extremely worrying, that's a fact.

What we are all doing here is hoping that he does a Cleary and bucks the trend in a better system...

but here's the caveat...

Is Brisbane actually a better system? I'd argue we are not far above the Tigers in terms of systems, we just tend to produce more superstar talent that papers over some of the cracks.
This is a grim outlook @Sproj. Putting us up near the Tigers is a bit over the top. A lot of the issues around systems has to do with the coach and footy department. Which the last two coaches have had a huge part in destroying. Kev I would argue destroyed our greatest opportunity with the Ikin situation. Ikin was producing something there that could have pushed us into Storm territory and it was destroyed because of ego. I wonder if there is a chance to bring him back or not.

I agree we have no idea what Madge will produce and there is as much possibility this goes lopsided as there is that he succeeds . I am more hoping that he has learnt a lot from his experiences and is primed for this job. I assume he wants to create a legacy like Bellamy in the time he has left in the game and is not here for a short stint like some suggest. If he takes everything he learnt from his time as an assistant right through to now he should have all the tools available to turn our footy department around. We will know he means business soon enough, the axe may start swinging.

But it is still a fact. You can hand wave it away as saying yeah but Tigers and that's anyone's choice to make. It doesn't change the FACT that in his last SIX NRL seasons, he hasn't made the finals. We just sacked a coach who made the GF last year and was arguably one play away from beating the now four time champions. And many are waving that away as a fluke.

So relative recent success is irrelevant for Kevvie but because Maguire got a stacked NSW origin team to beat an injury hampered Qld team with a rattled, inexperienced coach, come on down! Maguire's career record is extremely worrying, that's a fact.

What we are all doing here is hoping that he does a Cleary and bucks the trend in a better system...

but here's the caveat...

Is Brisbane actually a better system? I'd argue we are not far above the Tigers in terms of systems, we just tend to produce more superstar talent that papers over some of the cracks.
I agree in paper, Madge is a fairly small step up on Kev but from everything I’vl observed or heard from them, Madge is clearly got a better grasp on the fundamentals of coaching. Whether he can translate to success at the broncos is yet to be seen.

Your second point is where it falls down, there is no comparison between us and the tigers. The broncos have a lot of work to do but it’s not even close. Far far superior than that club in many ways.

By all accounts, Dave is aggressively seeking a qualified head of football department too, so promising signs there also .

Still don't think Kev deserved the sack.
We did better than Melbourne against Panthers in the GF.
We lost to the best side of the last decade and it was almost a win.
Melbourne got outclassed way worse than us but I bet Melbourne don't sack Bellamy.

Shambles of a club.

Still don't think Kev deserved the sack.
We did better than Melbourne against Panthers in the GF.
We lost to the best side of the last decade and it was almost a win.
Melbourne got outclassed way worse than us but I bet Melbourne don't sack Bellamy.

Shambles of a club.
hth:

, Kev left the Broncos in a better position, unquestionably.

Kev got the sack because he was winging it, and the players stopped taking any notice of him.

From everything I have seen Madge say it does not appear he is coming in with a GF now mentality. He wants to build something not burn everyone out chasing instant success. He seems to know that these guys are all talent and will require some honest coaching first. His mentality seems right if what he is putting out is actually what he believes.

The next six months are going to be the longest of my life, waiting on baby two and the Broncos off season. I am way to eager to see what happens haha then I wont have any time to watch because my daughter is due March 4th.

I agree in paper, Madge is a fairly small step up on Kev but from everything I’vl observed or heard from them, Madge is clearly got a better grasp on the fundamentals of coaching. Whether he can translate to success at the broncos is yet to be seen.

Your second point is where it falls down, there is no comparison between us and the tigers. The broncos have a lot of work to do but it’s not even close. Far far superior than that club in many ways.

By all accounts, Dave is aggressively seeking a qualified head of football department too, so promising signs there also .

That's fair. You are right, our club isn't as bad as the Tigers but I do think we have been papering over cracks a lot. Given DD is apparently trying to go for broke on Ponissi, this is FAR more exciting to me than whoever the coach is.

We need our pathways set up FAR better than now. We clearly identify some high quality talent, we need to be recruiting more of the hard workers / guys who have to earn it like the Storm do and Ponissi would be massive for this. But even if don't get him, someone like him is still way better than the no one we have currently.

If we get this in place, then I don't think it matters if Maguire is the best coach in the world or not, a good system in place will make any coach look good at the Broncs because of our superstar pipeline that is still strong.

That's fair. You are right, our club isn't as bad as the Tigers but I do think we have been papering over cracks a lot. Given DD is apparently trying to go for broke on Ponissi, this is FAR more exciting to me than whoever the coach is.

We need our pathways set up FAR better than now. We clearly identify some high quality talent, we need to be recruiting more of the hard workers / guys who have to earn it like the Storm do and Ponissi would be massive for this. But even if don't get him, someone like him is still way better than the no one we have currently.

If we get this in place, then I don't think it matters if Maguire is the best coach in the world or not, a good system in place will make any coach look good at the Broncs because of our superstar pipeline that is still strong.
Exactly. It’s why I started going easy on Kev when Ikin was brought in.

Everything coming out of the club seemed well thought out and strategic. The front office was running in sync and I felt it wouldn’t matter too much who the coach is because all the systems were getting sorted in the background. 2023 Is when it started to bare fruits but was over just as quick as it started. If you trust the speculation at the time, Ikin was moved on because of Kev. Much of the other staff either also moved on due to Kev, or as rumours state, were unable to voice their opinions.

Then it all went to shit.

It sounds to me that Dave is trying again to set up the club like he did for that short period when he first came to the broncos. This time though, hopefully with a coach who can get on the same page

It seemed clear Dave tried for a Melbourne model with Ikin, and now he’s having another crack at it. He’s even said **** it, let’s just get the Melbourne guys

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • Harry Sack
  • Mr Fourex
  • Lostboy
  • Old Mate
  • Hurrijo
  • Donald Garner
  • jd87
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Gaz
  • whykickamoocow
  • Wolfie
  • RolledOates
  • kwomo
  • bert_lifts
  • Morkel
  • Dash
  • Fozz
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncsgoat
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.