NEWS Michael Maguire to coach Broncos

The thing that worries me is just like Seibold they haven’t even considered anyone else.

Didn't the interview Kevvie, JD and Madge as well when they signed Seibold.

Or was that just fake news / a sham to give the appearance of due process

Sometimes that pressure can create a diamond... And if Cobbo survives the Madge environment (which I have no doubt he learned from Bellamy), then **** he'll be a dangerous player
Be interesting what Madge see's Cobbo as a centre or winger.
Cobbo started the year as centre then Madge seen what Cobbo did in game 1 to his blues as a centre, came back to club land had his issues and Kev seen him as a winger again.

I don't think Madge will just pick the fast guy like Kev did what Mariner.

The coach
I think there’s more problems that needs to be addressed at the club. Happy for them to make the move on Kev but let’s get real here. Don’t do a club wide review and knife 1 guy.

Those old boys are the only ones who know what success is for this club.
I agree….
However, why the **** is the club in this state when we have some of the greatest players ever to play the game, not just for the Broncos but the game of Rugby League.
Walters, Langer and Lockyer. All know success and where did that get us.
First people that should follow Karl Morris out the door should be Alf and Locky.
Thank you for your service….next.
Come to think of it, put the broom through the whole fkn board

There’s a lot to consider with this choice, but the more I think about it, the more I think it’s the right one.

I’m not giving any credence to what he did with NSW this year. Origin is a 50:50 proposition every year and any new coach can come in and look like a hero on the back of a good season (like Billy, who looked untouchable until this year tbsit was clear he had a lot of coaching deficiencies). It’s great he had success at that level but I think it means little for his chances of success at NRL level. Personally, I think his success with the kiwi team is more encouraging and positive.

My most recent memories of him as a coach were the burnout at Souths (which coincided with a huge player churn)… we can hope he’s learnt some more balance from when he rode that squad into the ground.. and then the calamity at the Tigers. This period made me think Madge really wasn’t a top notch coach and as his most recent track record it’s pretty damming … BUT… the tigers are a basket case of a club, and another coach named Ivan Cleary similarly struggled to have any success there pretty recently too, so maybe it’s not a great indication of coach quality.

I loathe teams that play to bend the rules and erode the spirit of the game by ‘soft-cheating’ and taking advantage of referees… BUT that’s now the reality of the modern game. Can you succeed without adopting those practices? Maybe.. but it’s 100x harder. If we manage to employ those tactics and start matching it with the top sides then it’s going to be hard to argue, no matter how distasteful it seems right now.

Overall, a hard-nosed, no-nonsense coach with experience and pedigree at many levels including NRL is exactly what this team needs. I think he was far and away the right choice and I’m hopeful for what the future brings.

One of the first things Madge will need to do... other than addressing the playing group and selling them on his vision... is to break bread with the old boys.

For him to be fully accepted he will need to be able to show that he's fully invested in the Broncos culture... it's what he did with NSW and NZ, it's what he did at Souths... I'm assuming he did it at tigers as well, but it mustn't have stuck and he also had to deal with the introduction of Vlando ball.

I have no doubt that Madge will throw himself fully into the club and take on all of our history, but it would be near impossible to sell that to the outside world if the old boys are off you and don't want to be involved at the club.

Seibold actively went against wanting the old boys at the club and it backfired spectacularly... I think Madge will genuinely want the old boys to be involved... it's basically his modus operandi at this point... so convincing them to be involved after all that's happened won't be easy.

Gordie has already given a "lose my number", Webke has objected to a NSW'men coaching broncos, Alfie is thinking about his future with the club, etc.

It's like being nominated for a political party and no one from the party endorsing you... he will need their backing.

I think the club's attempt at assisting Madge with this was by making Kevvie an ambassador of the club, which is a good idea. However almost as soon as that press conference finishes we get leaks that Kevvie blew up deluxe following the review, etc.

You already sacked the bloke and then you put out a hit piece regarding his behaviour... it's kicking someone when they're down... especially when he's helping you out by saying he's remaining an ambassador.

Whoever leaked that needs to be hunted down and kicked out of the club. That kind of attitude and behaviour is hugely disruptive to whatever the club is trying to do to move past all this.

Gordie has already given a "lose my number"

Gordie is a pelican, made a right royal fool of himself on NRL360.

Happy to announce that he is a 'Titan' but then in the same breath standing on his pedestal dictating who the Broncos should and shouldn't have as coach. If he's a 'Titan' then maybe he should be worrying about the TItans business.

He was carrying on about the Broncos chasing only Maguire and not doing their due diligence and asking for applications.

Gordie, clearly doesn't remember the Titans signing Hasler and being praised for being decisive and getting the man they wanted.

Gordie is such a farkhead, he was happy to be a Bronco when we were back at the top last year.

Time to change your signature foordy.

Chrissy Teigen Pain GIF by First We Feast

I’m taking the piss but yeah, Ik Walsh wouldn’t take any of that personally or hold a grudge
I think Walsh is one of those players that will care mostly about his own development... he looks like a guy that wants to be the best and if he can see that Madge is a coach that can do that for him then I think he will buy in.

I think our squad is full of young guys that want to learn and want to be successful... if Madge is what most think he is (i.e. high football IQ, etc.) then he should have no issues getting the squad to buy in and that's half the battle when getting them to train hard, etc.

I don’t think we can go with another rookie coach. Some may disagree with that, and that’s fine. I feel we have tried it and it’s failed every single time.

So if you are going for a coach with NRL experience who do you get?

If you put there entire body of work on the table, who are the best NRL coaches?

The first few are easy:
Wayne
Belly
Cleary
Robbo

In no particular order. If you then try to tell me who the 5th best option is it becomes much more challenging. There’s a significance drop in quality. I cant think of anyone better than Madge.

There’s a lot to consider with this choice, but the more I think about it, the more I think it’s the right one.

I’m not giving any credence to what he did with NSW this year. Origin is a 50:50 proposition every year and any new coach can come in and look like a hero on the back of a good season (like Billy, who looked untouchable until this year tbsit was clear he had a lot of coaching deficiencies). It’s great he had success at that level but I think it means little for his chances of success at NRL level. Personally, I think his success with the kiwi team is more encouraging and positive.

My most recent memories of him as a coach were the burnout at Souths (which coincided with a huge player churn)… we can hope he’s learnt some more balance from when he rode that squad into the ground.. and then the calamity at the Tigers. This period made me think Madge really wasn’t a top notch coach and as his most recent track record it’s pretty damming … BUT… the tigers are a basket case of a club, and another coach named Ivan Cleary similarly struggled to have any success there pretty recently too, so maybe it’s not a great indication of coach quality.

I loathe teams that play to bend the rules and erode the spirit of the game by ‘soft-cheating’ and taking advantage of referees… BUT that’s now the reality of the modern game. Can you succeed without adopting those practices? Maybe.. but it’s 100x harder. If we manage to employ those tactics and start matching it with the top sides then it’s going to be hard to argue, no matter how distasteful it seems right now.

Overall, a hard-nosed, no-nonsense coach with experience and pedigree at many levels including NRL is exactly what this team needs. I think he was far and away the right choice and I’m hopeful for what the future brings.
Couldn't agree more mate ... there's a lot of historic pride in this club and what we've achieved in the past 30 odd years. We're all proud to be associated with that jersey, but that doesn't win games. Kev is a great bloke, as are all of the old boys. But .. and this is just my opinion .. sometimes all of that passion and pride in past successes can cloud your judgement if you carry it too far. I think a hard-nosed coach who has no personal stake in the club's past, but who is determined to write his name on the club's future (regardless of the unfortunate twist of fate that had him born on the wrong side of the border) is exactly what we need now. No more hand-wringing and constant longing for past glories ... time to write a new page.

Depends how you want to look at it. Some will see it as a positive with the club being proactive while others will lean right into the theory that Kev was a dead man walking 8 weeks ago. Now, I have no problem with that at all, I'm happy to see the club being proactive and I don't care that he was a dead man 8 weeks ago.

Where it starts to smell is, 4 or so weeks ago, DD backed him (insert comment about full support of the board), then this review has happened which has apparently caused his demise. He also wasn't sacked, supposedly, and decided to step away. Terrible optics.
If you recall DD had to be prompted by journos calling the club out on their silence as was Reynolds the day before.
The club was not going back Kev publicly until then.

Active Now

• mrslong
  • Brocko
  • Manofoneway
  • Harry Sack
  • Dash
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Pigskin
  • vertigo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Rah88
  • phoenix
  • Financeguy
  • Waynesaurus
  • mrtij
  • IceWorks
  • Broncosarethebest
  • ChewThePhatt
  • simplythebest
  • Foordy
  • bb_gun
... and 25 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.