Milf , Morgo to fight out for Qld #6

PerthBrissy987

PerthBrissy987

NRL Player
Dec 8, 2016
Michael Morgan and Anthony Milford both in contention for Queensland No.6 jersey
Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
37 minutes ago
Subscriber only
QUEENSLAND coach Kevin Walters says Australian five-eighth Michael Morgan will not walk into the Maroons’ No. 6 jumper, declaring Broncos rival Anthony Milford a genuine contender for the spot.

Morgan’s development as an elite level five-eighth will continue on Friday night when he opposes in-form Jarryd Hayne in the World Cup semi-final between Australia and Fiji at Suncorp Stadium.

Like the Kangaroos, the Maroons are on the hunt for a new No. 6 in 2018, with Cowboys champion Johnathan Thurston’s representative retirement opening the door for a raft of candidates.

WORLD CUP: Gagai in awe of Vunivalu power

DROUGHT: Walters to ignite Broncos’ title charge

Morgan’s form should have him in pole position. (Chris Hyde/Getty Images)
Morgan is in the best form of his career and he steered the Cowboys to last month’s NRL grand final in the absence of Thurston, proof for many he is the ideal five-eighth successor for Queensland.

But as Morgan prepares for his 11th Test on Friday night and his fifth as a starting pivot, Walters says the Cowboy’s fine World Cup campaign is no guarantee of a Maroons berth.

The Queensland coach says Milford, who made his debut in Origin I last season, and Cameron Munster, who was also blooded in the decider, both have claims to the No. 6 guernsey made famous by Wally Lewis.

Milford will be right under Walters’ nose at the Broncos. Photo: Annette Dew
“It will be an ongoing battle for all those guys,” Walters said.

“Michael Morgan’s finish to the season was simply brilliant and he certainly hasn’t lost any ground, but I’ll be keeping my options open and assessing all the contenders.

“I certainly haven’t forgotten guys like Anthony Milford and Ben Hunt and what Cameron Munster did at five-eighth in Origin III was truly special.

“Morgan was very good in the decider (playing centre), so as long as those guys are around, it gives us hope for the next few years.”

Morgan will partner Cooper Cronk in the Australian halves against the Bati — a possible glimpse of the Queensland halves alliance in the Maroons’ bid for a 12th series crown in 13 years next season.

But Walters shapes as the X-factor in the development of Milford next season.

He has returned as Brisbane’s assistant coach and when Milford produced his sparkling season in 2015, nearly winning the Clive Churchill Medal, the quick-stepping pivot had Walters as his mentor at Red Hill.

Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough challenged Milford to be a more consistent force in 2018 and he believes Walters can help the five-eighth achieve that.

Play VideoPlay
Current Time 0:00
/
Duration Time 0:00
Loaded: 0%Progress: 0%
Fullscreen

Mal gives Chambers update
“Kevvie can take ‘Milf’ to another level,” McCullough said.

“For what Kev has done and achieved in the game, he can help Anthony tactically and get him the confidence to attack the footy.

“Milf can’t just sit back and watch games go by.

“The quality halves are able to dictate the game and it’s up to Anthony if he wants to do that. Having Kev here will certainly help him do that.”

Morgan is a better fit.

Bench or nothing for milf at this stage. Man I argued this till I was blue in the face last may lol

Depending on how he starts the season if hes on fire , i doubt he wouldnt be picked in at #6

Morgan better off the bench big body he can play in the middle, Milford for the 6 only if he's on fire.

Can we not put 'official' tags on anything other than 'official' signings please? It gets people (like me) excited and confused for no reason.

Morgan is a better fit.

Bench or nothing for milf at this stage. Man I argued this till I was blue in the face last may lol

Can't call it until they are in full swing next season imo

Milford would have looked as good if not better than what Munster had to work with this year.

Munster will struggle without cronk. He can slip into the centers.

I thought Cronk was playing on for rep? Or has he not made that call yet?

I'll be happy with Morgan or Munster at 5/8. I just don't think Milford cuts it at that level yet.

Munster and morgan would both do well at center or that 14 jersey. I feel like Milf has to be 5/8 or not in the side at all just not sure how else you could use him.

Who plays fullback when no slater? Only Boyd I'd in contention right..? Or even Norman..? Morgan and Munster I guess. Nevermind haha

Next year's backline:

1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Chambers
5. Gagai
6. Morgan
7. Cronk

14. Munster

Can't see Milf even getting a look in unless he absolutely nails the first half of the season or there are a ton of injuries.

Who plays fullback when no slater? Only Boyd I'd in contention right..? Or even Norman..? Morgan and Munster I guess. Nevermind haha

I see homes ahead of Boyd for wing... Even Oates before Boyd

Norman goes no where near the qld team, Milford, Munster, Morgan chosen there before him. I don't think Walters will ever choose him.

I’d keep Gagai over Holmes, personally. I don’t know what it is about Holmes, but I see him as a bit of a pretender. At least at this stage of his career.
What do you mean pretender, the kid runs harder than anyone in the game. His kick returns are as good RTS if not better. He can finish off anything aswell. For me Oates should go to the second row for the broncos so they can put him on the bench for origin. Start bleeding the future of QLD in there proper positions.

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • Johnny92
  • Jazza
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Hurrijo
  • Brocko
  • Evander
  • KateBroncos1812
  • johnny plath
  • Bucking Beads
  • The True King
  • BroncoFan94
  • winslow_wong
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • kiwi2
  • Fozz
  • bazza
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.