NEWS Milford reveals why he tries hard not to try too hard

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Under-fire Anthony Milford spills to the usual suspects about sailing into the shit typhoon:

“Look, I don‘t let it get to me. I have two beautiful young daughters at home that keep me busy so I don’t read too much into what is said about me and I don’t have too much time to worry about it. I have two girls who keep me sane and happy."

“I’m definitely trying my heart out. I do care. But I’m also careful not to try too hard because I think that’s when you are more likely to make mistakes. I am trying to have the balance and make my efforts count when it matters most. I’m not listening to the critics. I don’t really get too low on confidence."

Screenshot 2020 07 23 b7dc6e80fc0824aa7f34d32a182d6795 WEBP Image 650  866 pixels

Live free or try hard

“Wayne Bennett (former Broncos coach) really helped me in a huge way with my mental approach to the game. A few years ago, Wayne brought Phil Jauncey, a sports psychologist, into the club and they both really helped on the mental side of my game. That always sticks with me to this day, just how to approach the game mentally and trying to enjoy the game even in hard times.”

“I’ve read some things that I’ve been dropped - I haven’t been dropped, the coach has spoken to me about playing another position and I’m putting the team before myself. My form isn’t as good as what I’ve hoped for this year. If you have seen the last couple of games, I have been popping around like I’m a fullback."

“We have a real shortage of fullbacks, Tesi Niu is injured and Jamayne Isaako’s father has passed away which is terrible. With those guys out, that opened the door for me to go to fullback and that gives Tom an opportunity to play in the halves."

“Seibs’ view is that being at fullback can create more space for me. Not being locked into one side of the field, I can roam around and follow the forwards a lot more and with more room to move, hopefully that frees me up to attack."

“I think having me, Tommy and Brodie in the spine can only benefit us and hopefully Tom can bring some energy and enthusiasm to the team. To be honest, I see myself as a five-eighth, I still think I can succeed there, but in a time like this, with so many injuries, I am open to playing wherever the team needs me to play. As long as I am wearing a Broncos jersey at the end of the week, I’m happy. I will play wherever the team needs me.”

“This is a huge game for the whole club. We all need to turn up with the right attitude and be ready to put in an 80-minute performance that everyone, including the fans, can be proud of. We don’t want to let the fans down. The last few months have been really hard. No-one wants to go through the losing streak that we have, get one win against the Bulldogs and then put in a performance against the Tigers (48-0) which was simply unacceptable."

“It’s tough times, but we all need to work a lot harder for each other and do little things to make sure we are accountable for our actions. I know it’s a challenging time for the club. There is no better feeling that coming up against a massive challenge when people doubt you and pulling through."

“A lot of people will be backing the Storm, but this week is all about effort. Regardless of what the scoreboard shows, it’s important every Broncos player puts in for ourselves and the fans and that we can walk off holding our heads high.”

McHunt

Last edited:
Well he's already making lots of mistakes, so is he trying too hard or not hard enough?

I'd be happy to see the back of him.
Tired of waiting for him to live up to his potential and earn that big money he is being paid.

Such a shame as he was loaded with potential early in his career and just never even came close to reaching it.

Yeah I think I get it. He's trying so hard to not try too hard that he is hardly trying that hard that is hard to score a try while trying to harden up his tries.

I'm fairly sure his coach told him to do this.

Sounds an awful lot like the shit Boyd has been peddling for the last 2 years or so.

Talk sure is cheap.
Boyd’s the true anti christ. He’s a fungal infection spreading throughout the team

This is his last shot at staying at the Broncos imo. If he cant nail down FB we are better off with Croft Dearden.

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • ChewThePhatt
  • broncos4life
  • Manofoneway
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.