Mitchell Dodds signs for 1 year

he would have broken his leg pretty much a full year ago when the season starts. should be plenty of time to recover from that
No doubt he will have recovered from the broken leg but surely he will need a few games in ISC to get back to NRL standard.

He won't be in the 17, there's simply just not room for him, unless there's injuries. He'd have to be behind guys like Arrow, Ese'ese, Pangai, Ofahengaue, at least to start the year.

8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Thaiday
12. Gillett
13. Arrow / Glenn

14. Arrow / Glenn
15. Pangai Jr
16. Ese'ese / Ofahengaue
17. Marshall / Nikorima
Are you mental?? Do you not know wayne Bennett at all??

No way he's behind young kids who all can't step up when needed. He's a bench spot guaranteed

And what good are "metres up the middle" if you had wallace giving away constant penalties and gifting those metres straight back for nothing. I liked wallace but damn that used to shit me to tears!

No way he's behind young kids who all can't step up when needed. He's a bench spot guaranteed

Yeah agree with this Bennett seems very reluctant to thrust a young prop into a prominent role if he has an experienced guy in the wings. He also has to find someone to play lock.

Still a serious amount of questions to be answered in this team. Going to be a very long off season

Have to agree with this, he is very much in the mould of the type of forward that Bennett likes to have one of in his pack.

Dave Brown
Brad Tessman
Chris Phelan
Andrew Tessman
Harvey Howard
Andrew Gee

Unless he stuffs up in pre-season or puts in particularly poor trial form, I see him safely on the bench.

Last edited:
Dodds will/should be there. Can't have too many rookies without Parker and Wallace, especially guys who have shown less than nothing so far in first grade (Arrow, Eseese, Molo etc)

I just figured he'd go to lock. But what do I know.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dodds start/spend time at lock

If Dodds starts at lock we may as well call it a write-off season, because we'll be losing the forward battle every single game with him, Blair, Thaiday & Gillett starting the game. They all have their strengths, but none of them can reliably make 100 metres per game. The entire burden will be on McGuire.

That's a big call to make he gives everyone there opportunity if they earn it

lol, Benji has a greater chance of playing lock than Doddsy does. If there is anyone who isn't suited to that position, it's Mitch Dodds.

What? There's been plenty of defensive oriented locks.

What? There's been plenty of defensive oriented locks.
Kevin Campion immediately springs to mind but that still doesn't mean Doddsy will see any action at lock unless it's in a hastily arranged scrum.

If Dodds starts at lock we may as well call it a write-off season, because we'll be losing the forward battle every single game with him, Blair, Thaiday & Gillett starting the game. They all have their strengths, but none of them can reliably make 100 metres per game. The entire burden will be on McGuire.

This is why I was calling for us to sign Moa. He may not have been able to make the 100 metres but at least he would bring something different to a forward pack which is full of players that are of a similar mould. I guess there is still time to sign a power forward - hopefully Wayno has something planned.

Have to agree with this, he is very much in the mould of the type of forward that Bennett likes to have one of in his pack.

Dave Brown
Brad Tessman
Chris Phelan
Andrew Tessman
Harvey Howard
Andrew Gee

Unless he stuffs up in pre-season or puts in particularly poor trial form, I see him safely on the bench.

I get your point but not really a good comparison. Dodds will be barely more than a bench player for his career while all of those forwards you named are state or international reps. Not a fan of dodds. .he's a plodder and while he pulls off a good shot now and then i don't see him as someone to strike fear into the opposition. Don't really see the point but benny will have a plan no doubt.

There is also the problem of overburdening and burning out your younger forwards particularly if you stockpile them on the bench with limited experience on the bench to share the workload and that isn't limited to metre gaining either. Parker and Wallace leaving provides the side with a substantial experience loss(well over 400 games between them) and without some suitable experience to help bridge that gap your going to be demanding a lot more on forwards who are really just starting to make the transition into first grade then you would normally expect. Glenn alone doesn't provide it.

BTW as for Andrew Tessman he wasn't a rep player, his brother Brad was. He was however a valuable contributor during his time at the Broncos despite a cruel injury after being hit by a car.

Last edited:
In parker and wallace we're pretty much losing 200m a game as well... so it will be interesting to see who picks up that slack. I like dodds but not sure he has shown the stamina to do it or maybe he's just never been given the opportunity...

Dodds was going great towards the end of 2013. Looked like he had stepped up a level but unfortunately got injured and missed the rest of that year and all of '14. I was surprised he'd only played 75 for us but he has literally missed two and a half years of games through injury. Let's hope he's put that behind him

Unread

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Broncorob
  • Mighty Bronx
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.