Mitchell Dodds signs for 1 year

Anyone got footage of his big hits ?

Last edited:
From memory, he was a hit and stick kind of guy. He didn't necessarily snap guys in half spectacularly, but when he hit them he stopped them dead.

From memory, he was a hit and stick kind of guy. He didn't necessarily snap guys in half spectacularly, but when he hit them he stopped them dead.

Yeah this. If you could do the equivalent of dental records on people's ribs, you'd find a fair few guys with Dodds' shoulder imprint in them.

Yup, Doddsy is one of the few guys I can see stopping Taumalolo in his tracks.

He goes about his defense without spectacular shoulder charges or hits, but most forwards will avoid running at him once they've met his shoulder. We definitely could've used him in this season's Townsville final.

Defence is going to be really important considering we're going to be on our goal line all year.

It'll be time for the younger guys to step up or there will be questions marks over them. Like TPJ, he had some pretty solid games, but underwhelming for his age while comparing to the attacking potential he showed in the juniors. Ofa and Ese'ese will have to show something too, they are old enough.

I think our biggest problem this year has been our defence. It was a joke compared to 2015. Hopefully Dodds helps in that regard.

I have enormous faith in TPJ. He has what it takes.

There is also the problem of overburdening and burning out your younger forwards particularly if you stockpile them on the bench with limited experience on the bench to share the workload and that isn't limited to metre gaining either. Parker and Wallace leaving provides the side with a substantial experience loss(well over 400 games between them) and without some suitable experience to help bridge that gap your going to be demanding a lot more on forwards who are really just starting to make the transition into first grade then you would normally expect. Glenn alone doesn't provide it.

BTW as for Andrew Tessman he wasn't a rep player, his brother Brad was. He was however a valuable contributor during his time at the Broncos despite a cruel injury after being hit by a car.

True re Andrew Tessman, but he was no plodder either. As you mentioned his career was cut short after he was hit by a car, so who knows what he would have become. Him and Dodds not in the same ball park.

True re Andrew Tessman, but he was no plodder either. As you mentioned his career was cut short after he was hit by a car, so who knows what he would have become. Him and Dodds not in the same ball park.

I agree that Andrew Tessman had potential to achieve more that doesn't make players like Dodds a plodder by any means or unable to contribute to the side and potential also doesn't mean they will actually achieve even close to that nor does it mean should they get a free ride on it. At the end of the day your regular 17 and first grade squad comes down to a balancing act and if you put yourself in a position where you have no real experience depth between your experienced campaigners and your developing players, it doesn't take much to find yourself in a shitload of trouble.

Dodds is no plodder. He isn't a superstar but hey, everyone cant be a superstar in the same team. You need guys like Dodds who a dependable and reliable to win you premierships. Its these guys contributions that go along way to winning titles. Our run last year to the grand final was helped tremendously by the lesser guys in the team like Wallace & Dodds stepping it up when Moose went down.

Needs to run the ball more but can be a useful cog to offset the likes of TPJ, Ofa and Ese'ese.

As others have mentioned, is a Bennett kinda player and imagine he'll be a fixture on the bench. Hopefully not at lock though - need someone more dynamic.

Yeah I can't see him as a lock just doesn't strike me as mobile enough.

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • broncos4life
  • Fitzy
  • lynx000
  • LittleDavey
  • azza.79
  • BruiserMk1
  • Harry Sack
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Foordy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Bucking Beads
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Mr Fourex
  • Broncorob
  • Galah
  • pennywisealfie
  • Financeguy
  • Browny
  • BroncosAlways
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.