McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

Monday Buzz: Brisbane’s No.1 problem won’t go away

Phil Rothfield, The Daily Telegraph
May 5, 2019 10:10am

Last edited by a moderator:
Drop him from the team and pay him out his contract and move on. We effectively play with $800k less in our cap for 20 and 21.
Unless we can do the Inglis retirement exit strategy and get him off the books it’s a bonus

Can't argue with anything in the article. Fixing the problem is going to be Seibold’s most difficult challenge. For a start we need a new captain and quite honestly we don't have anyone within the club who is likely to be around long term who has the qualities needed. Short term I would give the job to Lexi. As for fullback Bird is the logical choice. At least we would gain more meters at the start of sets. Shift Boyd to center short term.

I do like this article for just one reason. The cards are now firmly face up on the table and all the bleating on this forum about Darius has been covered. Rothfields claim about the money is ludicrous though because he doesn't know and is guessing like most. Oh, he could be exactly right too, I don't know either but the shit about Bennett is wrong, plainly wrong as WB was never on the board, it was a business decision and it was made by the business men and women of the club.

That was also true of Milford's contract. I didn't say WB didn't have imput or a say but it wasn't his decision and on his second coming he most definitely wasn't given the keys to the kingdom. **** Rothfield for putting the good and bad together. This will absolutely hold Boyd's feet to the fire.

The only issue I have is saying Milford on a million is worse than Boyd on 800k (apparently). Milford is not worth the million (900k) right now on form, but comparatively it’s so not the worse decision of the two

And Booze is just piling on weeks/months after everyone else. Bit slow on the uptake there champ

Short term I would give the job to Lexi. As for fullback Bird is the logical choice.

Suspect Glenn might be another on the way out in the great Kiwi purge of 2019.

The obvious choice is Milford. He's the marquee long term signing and star play-maker. If he's not good enough to be captain, maybe he's the number six problem that won't go away.

Last edited:
And Booze is just piling on weeks/months after everyone else. Bit slow on the uptake there champ
Only because he has respect for Boyd as a person, but when you're being paid to perform at a certain standard and you're miles below it of course you're going to be called out.

Everyone can see the elephant in the room but no one knows how to handle it.

Amazing how a business as strong and successful as the Broncos has made so many flat out stupid signing and retention decisions of late. Haas for 6 years was the only amazing deal they've spun in recent memory.

Can't argue with anything in the article. Fixing the problem is going to be Seibold’s most difficult challenge. For a start we need a new captain and quite honestly we don't have anyone within the club who is likely to be around long term who has the qualities needed. Short term I would give the job to Lexi. As for fullback Bird is the logical choice. At least we would gain more meters at the start of sets. Shift Boyd to center short term.

He'd probably be the best captain at the minute, but Glenn shouldn't even be in the team on recent evidence. It's bewildering that he still is when we have Fifita, a future star of the game, rotting on the bench and coming on for a few minutes each game when he's a game breaker that should be playing 80 (the Tigers game for example, if he scores off that grubber we win. That's a play Glenn would never dream of doing). Our conundrum is that we have a fair few future leaders in our side, the problem is that they're all under the age of 22. Could Offa be an option as captain if he started at lock perhaps?

Suspect Glenn might be another on the way out in the great Kiwi purge of 2019.

The obvious choice is Milford. He's the marquee long term signing and star play-maker. If he's not good enough to be captain, maybe he's the number six problem that won't go away.

From what I saw on the weekend it shouldn't be long until Dearden owns the team in attack. Making Milf the captain would stifle his development IMO because Milf would be trying to do absolutely everything.

Last edited:
Only because he has respect for Boyd as a person, but when you're being paid to perform at a certain standard and you're miles below it of course you're going to be called out.

Everyone can see the elephant in the room but no one knows how to handle it.

Shame it’s come to this, didn’t he say recently that if he wasn’t up to the grade he’d quit? Unfortunately walking away from $700plus is easier said than done.

I’d like to reiterate, it’s not his fault the club decided to pay the man. What id really like to know is, who’s responsible for the clubs overall due diligence when it comes to player contracts?

We signed at the time a 30 year old whose position relies heavily on speed and durability to a massive $$$ contract, in effect tying the position and our hands under the cap down for 4 years. Not many 30 plus year olds were still going strong on big $$$ playing fullback.

Doesn’t take rocket scientist to figure out that this was bad business.

I think the problem could possibly be fixed by just taking away the captaincy.

He isn't physically cooked, he has shown that. However, mentally, it's a different story. Ever since he was given the captaincy, it's been a downward spiral from there. Perhaps the pressure gets to him, perhaps it's just too much on him mentally. That's happened to some players in the past, where their performances drop when they suddenly get the captaincy because it just adds a lot more pressure on them and they can't handle it mentally.

Unfortunately, the only way he is losing the captaincy is if he retires.

When I look at his 2016 highlights, at times I can still see that Boyd in him. But those moments are rare.

From what I saw on the weekend it shouldn't be long until Dearden owns the team in attack. Making Milf the captain would stifle his development IMO because Milf would be trying to do absolutely everything.

Not sure that is true, but I'm also not sure if Milf has the personality to be captain. 1 Million dollars should get you a captain-grade play-maker.

Maybe, like Dearden, he too needs to be thrown head first into the deep end. Either way, he needs to lift his game.

Last edited:
I do like this article for just one reason. The cards are now firmly face up on the table and all the bleating on this forum about Darius has been covered. Rothfields claim about the money is ludicrous though because he doesn't know and is guessing like most. Oh, he could be exactly right too, I don't know either but the shit about Bennett is wrong, plainly wrong as WB was never on the board, it was a business decision and it was made by the business men and women of the club.

That was also true of Milford's contract. I didn't say WB didn't have imput or a say but it wasn't his decision and on his second coming he most definitely wasn't given the keys to the kingdom. **** Rothfield for putting the good and bad together. This will absolutely hold Boyd's feet to the fire.

Was it not reported that the power Bennett held at the club was one of the key reasons they decided not to renew his contract? Further to that was it also not reported that it was Bennett’s pushing and machinations for Boyd to get the 4 year contract that convinced them that last new needed to be his last?

He isn't physically cooked, he has shown that.
Fixed that for you. The way he bent down to try and pick up the kick that Cody Walker eventually scored off looked like a 70 year old with crippling arthritis.

His speed is also flat out not there anymore. His body has really given up on him. He doesn't have the athleticism to play first grade fullback anymore.

He is the worst full back in the entire competition. There is no sugar coating this and I've read previous comments along the lines of "for the 700k+ wage he is on"... let me stop right there. Even if he was on minimum wage I would be urging a change required.
He is hindering any progression in the side and processes that Seibold is trying to implement because he has lost all of his speed, displays no movement and I think he has already retired mentally because there is no tenacity and hunger in anything he does unfortunately.
There will be an immediate uplift in the side with a positional change and if for nothing else except the moral in the squad, Boyd keeps his position on either the wing or centre.
It has to happen this round, no ifs or buts. Please Seibs, we beg you.

Did someone say he only has 8 tries since 2017? He's meant to be a fullback ffs. That's deplorable, he needs to go.

The damning thing I noticed at the game on Thursday is just how willing other teams are to kick to our Fullback. Against almost every other side, kickers will do everything they can to kick to the corners and isolate the Wingers and keep the ball away from the dangerous Fullbacks, but with us it's like its our weak link and they'll go out of their way to kick the ball in his direction.

He'd probably be the best captain at the minute, but Glenn shouldn't even be in the team on recent evidence. It's bewildering that he still is when we have Fifita, a future star of the game, rotting on the bench and coming on for a few minutes each game when he's a game breaker that should be playing 80 (the Tigers game for example, if he scores off that grubber we win. That's a play Glenn would never dream of doing).

Man, Glenn really cold some unfair criticism from fans. He definitely still deserves to be playing, at least from the bench. Also, Alex has put in many plays like that grubbers over the years.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Socnorb
  • Aldo
  • pennywisealfie
  • Bongo
  • Manofoneway
  • Wolfie
  • Harry Sack
  • NSW stables
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Jazza
  • Justwin
  • Alec
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Lurker
  • Mr Fourex
  • broncos4life
  • kman
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.