Most hated cliche: "The effort was there"

rnabokov said:
It would be so nice to see some (coaching) effort put into maintaing depth in attack so Wally has runners on either side coming at speed. Our attack is so damn flat. Wally gets the ball, the forwards are a metre behind him, the defence has moved up, we get nailed.

Tronc needs at least 5 metres of running to have any impact. Sammy usually gets the ball with the defence almost on him. When we do offload, everyone's hanging around side by side and the defence is already there.

Then the line speed in defence. When it works, we shut down the offloads, we bash the runners back. But it's so inconsistent. The only reason Mateo looks good is because our defenders stand still and watch him, giving him space, giving his support time to position.

The breaks by Keating last nite. We just stood flat and let him run at us. Sheesh! This is Henjak's job FFS. GET THE STRUCTURE, hammer it into the players to make it work. That is where there seems to be no effort.

As for hookers, we have none. Only pretend ones. Sadly, we don't have a choice there.
Didn't notice your post until now. You put it very well, that's exactly how I see it too.

I'm writing this 24 hours after that heart breaking loss.

The anger is gone, but the pain still remains.

I may get alot of hate and anger towards me for writing the following, but it's got to be said.

WE CANNOT WIN THE 2010 NRL PREMIERSHIP.

As much as that hurts to write, it's the cold hard truth. We played a game last night, against a team just as desperate as us to stay in the top 8. Both teams needed to win to try to cement a spot in the top 8. Both teams knew what they were expecting from each other.

The Broncos just didn't and couldn't make that step up when it mattered. Alot of people were saying this game was like a finals game, it had that feel to it because both teams are desperate.

Well, if it was like a finals game, everybody knew that it had that feel to it, so I assume the Broncos knew that it had that feel to it, and look what transpired.

It just wasn't good enough. We don't have an x-factor. We don't have 'it, this season, Broncos fans.

Our attack is extremely predictable, our defense has many issues. With or without Lockyer, we still would of lost.

It pains me to write this, but better to face reality than live up in the clouds.

We won't go far, even if we do happen to make the top 8.

Dee said:
I'm writing this 24 hours after that heart breaking loss.

The anger is gone, but the pain still remains.

I may get alot of hate and anger towards me for writing the following, but it's got to be said.

WE CANNOT WIN THE 2010 NRL PREMIERSHIP.

As much as that hurts to write, it's the cold hard truth. We played a game last night, against a team just as desperate as us to stay in the top 8. Both teams needed to win to try to cement a spot in the top 8. Both teams knew what they were expecting from each other.

The Broncos just didn't and couldn't make that step up when it mattered. Alot of people were saying this game was like a finals game, it had that feel to it because both teams are desperate.

Well, if it was like a finals game, everybody knew that it had that feel to it, so I assume the Broncos knew that it had that feel to it, and look what transpired.

It just wasn't good enough. We don't have an x-factor. We don't have 'it, this season, Broncos fans.

Our attack is extremely predictable, our defense has many issues. With or without Lockyer, we still would of lost.

It pains me to write this, but better to face reality than live up in the clouds.

We won't go far, even if we do happen to make the top 8.

Can't agree.

We have enough 'x' factors: Folau, Lockyer, Thaiday, Gillet, Hoffman, even IMO T'eo, enough to win this comp. Trouble is the alphabet got screwed up - again.

We came out all guns blazing, and ended up with bullet holes in our feet.

If there was a brain explosion, it was Henjak, pulling a stunt like putting Gillet at 6 in a crucial game when there was absolutely no need to do that, nor was it hardly the time to throw throw the dice.

On recent form, it's all there. Predictable attack? I don't think so. When we fire (in the right direction) we are almost unbeatable.

I think we can still do it, provided H has at last learned his lesson.

Gillette went ok at 5/8th. Sure he didn't show much in attack in the position, but at least he didn't leave gaps in the line like Norman. I would rather have Gillette over Norman while Lockyer is out. We need to grind out wins with our defense while the great man is out.

The "comforting" thing is that we can't win the premiership...but neither can any other side, because they are all just as bad.

I just want to see someone be accountable for the loss. It is always oh we tried but just couldn't get our shit together, our head wasn't in it. FFS if a DR came out and said that to you after operating on your family member how would you feel>?

I'm wondering what exactly this BS "x factor" is.

Everytime I think I understand, I seem to be wrong. The Broncos don't have anything. Just because we get a few scrappy wins, doesn't mean we have an "x factor" or anything to offer the finals.

Last night proved that. Without the direction of one man, we fall apart.

What the **** is the x factor. Because all indications points that we have fucking nothing more to give.

Nashy said:
I'm wondering what exactly this BS "x factor" is.

Everytime I think I understand, I seem to be wrong. The Broncos don't have anything. Just because we get a few scrappy wins, doesn't mean we have an "x factor" or anything to offer the finals.

Last night proved that. Without the direction of one man, we fall apart.

What the **** is the x factor. Because all indications points that we have **** nothing more to give.

I just said the same thing to Aeetee.

Please define it, and please advise where one can purchase this xfactor. I think I would like to put some on.

- Stopping offloads has always been a problem at the Broncos - for whatever reason --> It shites me to no end.
- Agree about our 7 and 9 ... not the sort of form you want at this time of year. It has been all Locky and now he's out.. the result? = Friday night's attack
- Prop forwards - No disrespect - I think we have decent props but not top shelf material
- Locky IS the be all and end all with this current team - you're just in denial if you don't think so. For us to win the 2010 title it was all up the D man anyway - simple as that.

- Bottom line is we have to SOMEHOW scrape 2/3 victories - pray other results go our way and anything goes from there. Obviously 3/3 will be great if Locky can back for the last one.

Henjak's post match comments are typical, we've based our entire game around Lockyer for like the past 6 seasons, yet Henjak for some reason thinks the team should still be able to win games without him.

So either the coach has no nfi, or he doesn't want to let on that we're useless without Locky out there.

I agree with what Jeba has said earlier, that what Henjak says to the media and what he says to the team in private will be two different things. However, in saying that, I do believe he has missed the point in saying Gillett did alright in 5/8. If you want Norman to perform, then don't make him 5/8 only to sit him on the bench for 60 minutes. Your 5/8 should be on the field ALL the time. The TEAM (and yes we need to remember it is a team sport) had no spark or direction. We can't rely on Lockyer (and according to the CM this morning, he may not be back until the finals), so the TEAM needs to get together and decide how they are going to play.
From my opinion, Henkjak tried an experiment, unfortunately, from the stands, it looks like it failed. His experiment was as follows:
Gillett - starting 5/8 (He is a wide running second rower who can fill a centre spot. Leaving him in 5/8 stifled what he could do).
Norman - 5/8 started on the bench (Wasn't used for 60 minutes. He didn't go to badly when he came on, but by that time we were behind and had no spark to get out in front).
T'eo - started in the front row (Once again, a wide running second rower who can fill a centre spot. Leaving him in the front row stifled what he could do).
The Hunt/McCullough tag team - I wish this experiment had an end.
It has been said, and everyone knows, that the most important players on the field are the 1,6,7,9. Our 1 did well, our 6 was on the bench, our 7 looks claustrophobic at the moment and we are playing two 9's.
If I coached my teams like this every week, I am sure the parents of the boys in my team would be asking me questions.

I agree with what he is doing with Hunt/Macca at the moment, he's giving them lots of game time to get their confidence and skill up. Come next year I think he will drop it back to one player for the entire game. Maybe that could be Wallace and then put Hunt in to replace Wallace. Norman's defense is slow and his attack is terrible. Hunt has shown more confidence and some really good plays. I am really worried about Normans slow defense, his fat ass can never seem to move quick enough :) As a whole the team just doesn't lift when Locky isn't there, it's like they don't care. When he pushes forward quickly in defense for an entire game, the team feels they need to do the same. If Locky can play for 80 mins at his age and the amount of games he's played and still push up in defense every time I guess they feel they shouldn't be standing still waiting for the attack to come. Attitude has to change and it starts with the coach.

Henjak should just be upfront and i would ahve been happy if he said what Matt Elliott said:

Reality has started to bite, and Penrith coach Matthew Elliott was not shying away from that. Asked how the loss ranked on the disappointment scale, he replied: ''It rates highly, that one. I thought, for the first time this year, we came second by a long way in the area of attitude.

''I certainly felt that I was out-coached today, too. They played too smart for us, in every area. It's hard when your mentality's off. Even when we were in front, I was worried, and when we were coming back we were brittle. We've got some work to do, there's no doubt about that.''

Henjak made some wrong calls so just man up to them!

It's straight from the Tim Sheens coaching handbook.

The Broncos have a culture of not being publicly critical. That's fine. But whether or not that "effort was there" line was just for public image or not will be determined on Friday night.

If the Broncos play a similar game with no improvements in tactics and technique, then we know nothing's been said to the players.

But it won't be Ivan's fault. He deserves credit remember.

Mattycat said:
From my opinion, Henkjak tried an experiment, unfortunately, from the stands, it looks like it failed. His experiment was as follows:
Gillett - starting 5/8 (He is a wide running second rower who can fill a centre spot. Leaving him in 5/8 stifled what he could do).

That is the thing - he tried this in a VERY important game in the past... oh wait that was last year in the semi! [icon_thumbs_do [icon_thumbs_do [icon_thumbs_do

Taking everything into account I just don't see why MG was put at 6 - I really don't.

I remember someone saying that chooks game is going to cost us... arghhhh [icon_drun [icon_drun [icon_drun

Professor47 said:
Mattycat said:

That is the thing - he tried this in a VERY important game in the past... oh wait that was last year in the semi! [icon_thumbs_do [icon_thumbs_do [icon_thumbs_do

Taking everything into account I just don't see why MG was put at 6 - I really don't.

I remember someone saying that chooks game is going to cost us... arghhhh [icon_drun [icon_drun [icon_drun

Tigers

Active Now

• Big Del
  • Hurrijo
  • Spike
  • Sproj
  • Wolfie
  • eggstar10
  • Galah
  • HVbronco
  • broncsgoat
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Organix
  • Strop
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.