Name your favourite ever team

It's sad to see so little love for Sing. One of the biggest NRL legends ever.

1. Darren Lockyer
2. Dale Shearer
3. Greg Inglis
4. Mal Meninga
5. Brent Tate
6. Wally Lewis (c)
7. Jonathan Thurston
8. Steve Price
9. Cam Smith
10. Petero Civoniceiva
11. Gorden Tallis
12. Nate Myles
13. Bobby Lindner

14. Shane Webcke
15. Peter Jackson
16. Martin Bella
17. Paul Vautin

Last edited:
1. Darren Lockyer
2. Israel Folau
3. Greg Inglis
4. Mal Meninga
5. Wendell Sailor
6. Wally Lewis (c)
7. Alfie Langer
8. Arthur Beetson
9. Cam Smith
10. Petero Civoniceva
11. Gorden Tallis
12. Bob Lindner
13. Tonie Carroll

14. Shane Webcke
15. Brad Thorn
16. Steve Price
17. Johnathon Thurston

1. Slater
2. Sailor
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Yow yeh
6. Lockyer
7. Langer
8. Petero
9. Smith
10. Webcke
11. Tallis
12. Thorn
13. Lewis

14. Thurston
15. Price
16. Tunza
17. Thaiday

Let's get some discussion going - why are some of these players your favourite. Maybe explain some controversial selections (eg. Berrigan > Smith, Walters > Lewis, Why Schifcofske?)

Not having a go at anybody's opinions - I really like some of those selections and would like to get to know why? What about those players made you favour them?

A couple of explanations for me...

Dale Shearer - The story about how Rowdy would ring the selectors up to make himself available despite after retiring years later typifies how much the Origin jersey meant to Shearer. This was a guy who'd play anywhere for the Maroons and had an absolute knack for coming up with some massive plays like scoring the series winning try in 91 and coming up with a brilliant cover tackle on ET.

Brent Tate - How Tate has managed to play as many Origins as he's had, I don't even know. The guy has endured more setbacks than Mustafa of the Austin Powers series yet when he puts on that Maroon jersey, Tate fires up and most importantly makes himself accountable. Last year settled this choice for me. On a night where the ever reliable Slater and Boyd were dropping all sorts of high kicks, Tate rose to the occasion claiming attempt after attempt in the second half rendering the Blues one and only successful play useless.

And let's not forget that long range try that proved to be the catalyst in seven series wins - still one of the best Origin tries I've seen.

Lindner - One of the best backrows of all time who sadly never gets the credit he deserves. Bobby had it all - skills, defence and determination that saw him play on despite suffering a badly injured leg in 89.

Jackson - Nobody thought Queensland had a chance in hell when it was announced Lewis would miss the first game in 88. I think it would have been a job most players would hate to have, but not Jacko. Jacko went on with it and produced a near man of the match performance to guide the Maroons to the best possible start to the series. There aren't a lot of players of that era I believe could make it in ours, Peter Jackson was an exception and an example of what I want from a Queensland player.

Bella - At a time where Queensland weren't blessed with props, Bella did his absolute best to keep Queensland in the game against the likes of Chief and Lazo. My old man never understood Bella, why bring in a guy who couldn't pass in a team that was all about passing? Watching back, it's pretty clear - Bella enabled the likes of Langer and Lewis to do their jobs by doing that gritty work that most players hated to do at the time. Before the likes of Webby, Price, Bulla came on board - Bella for mine was head and shoulders the best prop for the Maroons.

Vautin - If you're like me, and didn't grow up watching Fatty play, you'd be amazed at how good he was for the Maroons. Like Rowdy, Fatty didn't care where he was picked or what assignment he was given, he'd chip in for the Maroons any which way and get through the work with plenty of vigor and quality. A definite Queensland great.

Kerrod Walters - He was my favourite player growing up as a kid. Just loved the way his mullet flew around as he darted out of dummy half. I also think he was under-rated. Probably wasn't as good in defence as his brother Steve, but I reckon he was a better attacking player.

Clinton Shifkofske - There was just something I loved about this bloke. Wasn't the most gifted, but did a lot of hard and I think he got overlooked too often when QLD were going through a rough patch. I also thought he was one of the better players that got dropped after his debut which was a big loss to QLD. I felt he was a bit of a scape goat when he shouldn't have been.

1. Darren Lockyer
2. Greg Inglis
3. Mal Meninga
4. Steve Renouf
5. Eric Grothe snr
6. Wally Lewis (C)
7. Allan Langer
8. Shane Webke
9. Cam Smith
10. Arthur Beetson
11. Brad Thorn
12. Gordon Tallis
13. Bob Linder

14. Jason Smith
15. Petero Civoniceva
16. Matt Scott
17. Wally Fullerton-Smith

Props for the Fullterton-Smith representation Fourex.

The original Larson/Dallas/Harrison type.

Go the Gator....:thumbup1:

S.Berrigan Over Smith because I've enjoyed watching him more, the guy has a massive heart.
No Slater at all, a little person but I don't rate Slater and my dislike for his mother fuels my dislike for him. (Call it petty)
No Lewis because i couldn't find room for him at all, I respect what he has done but I'm a huge fan of Langer/Thurston/Lockyer and could only have 2 in the halves, I was then forced to push another player I loved watching in Hunt to the bench just to have Locky in the starting side and Hunt on the team..

draggx said:
No Slater at all, a little person but I don't rate Slater and my dislike for his mother fuels my dislike for him. (Call it petty)

May I ask why you dislike his ma?

I feel an interesting story coming on.

May I ask why you dislike his ma?

I feel an interesting story coming on.

Fueling up at a servo up north, Went to pay and a woman pushed in front of me. I cleared my throat and she turned around and started going off at me saying "Do you know who my son is? My son is Billy Slater and I can do as I please in my town."

Nothing major, just arrogance that shit me.

My mum encountered the same thing with Thurstons mum in Townsville and my mum had her removed from the bar, Thurston can in the next day however and said sorry on his mums behalf and bought my mum some flowers.

1. Lockyer
2. Hancock
3. Renouf
4. Hodges
5. Carne
6. Walters
7. Langer
8. Webcke
9. Berrigan
10. Civoniceva
11. Tallis
12. Thaiday
13. Carroll

14. Thorn
15. Gillmeister
16. Allen
17. Gene Miles

Bit surprised that Gary Larson has only appeared in a couple of teams I thought he would be a favourite to a lot more. My dad loved him and he is one of his favourite Origin players.

Fueling up at a servo up north, Went to pay and a woman pushed in front of me. I cleared my throat and she turned around and started going off at me saying "Do you know who my son is? My son is Billy Slater and I can do as I please in my town."

Nothing major, just arrogance that **** me.

My mum encountered the same thing with Thurstons mum in Townsville and my mum had her removed from the bar, Thurston can in the next day however and said sorry on his mums behalf and bought my mum some flowers.

Wow what a bitch

Thurston seems like a good bloke though hey. One of my mates went to school with him at st Mary's in toowoomba and reckoned he was pretty awesome even back then

Wow, some great names coming up here. I think I have the greatest affinity for those players who played at times when Queensland was not at all dominant like it has been these past seven years. The guys who gave their all when the odds were stacked against them are the ones who always stuck with me.

I think I've only seen Paul Bowman listed once, on Coxy's team, but he's one of my favourite Origin players of all time. Never the flashiest centre, just hard-working and devoted. I remember a game he was on the bench, and when he came on he almost immediately did his knee or a hamstring. The play came his way so he pushed himself off the ground to make the tackle. It may be the fog of memory but I feel like he even made a couple more before hobbling off. That's the true Queensland Origin spirit, and that's why I loved the team so much back in those days. Haven't felt the same kind of fervour for some time, but hopefully it will return...

EDIT: With a crack at a team:

Lockyer
Hanc0ck
Renouf
Bowman
Carne
Kevin Walters
Langer
Webcke
Kerrod Walters
Civoniceva
Tallis
Thorn
J. Smith

D. Smith
Price
Carroll
Berrigan

Last edited:
It's sad to see so little love for Sing. One of the biggest NRL legends ever.

I loved Matt Sing, but geez we've had some talent on the wings (and centres playing wing, like Tate) over the years. Sing is definitely up there, though.

Good lord this is a hard task. Without further ado:

1. Lockyer
2. Slater
3. Inglis
4. Meninga
5. Sing
6. Thurston
7. Langer
8. Price
9. Smith
10. Civoniceva
11. Tallis
12. Gillmister
13. Myles

14. Thorn
15. D. Smith
16. Webcke
17. Lang

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Fitzy
  • winslow_wong
  • Rah88
  • Bish
  • Broncosgirl
  • Broncorob
  • Sproj
  • Justwin
  • broncsgoat
  • Mister Wright
  • the_next
  • broncos4life
  • Xzei
  • Allo
  • Morkel
  • Jazza
  • Mightybroncs2k17
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.