10. Scott
11. Tallis
12. Larson
13. Moore

14. Civoniceva
15. Myles
16. Price
17. D. Smith

I loved Matt Sing, but geez we've had some talent on the wings (and centres playing wing, like Tate) over the years. Sing is definitely up there, though.

I picked Sing because of reasons you highlighted in your first post. He was a mainstay in a Queensland team which was for the most part, outclassed on paper by NSW. But he grafted bloody hard and did a job for his state, he never let his mates down and was humble too.

Good shout out for Bowman too, tough son of a bitch he was.

Good lord this is a hard task. Without further ado:

1. Lockyer
2. Slater
3. Inglis
4. Meninga
5. Sing
6. Thurston
7. Langer
8. Price
9. Smith
10. Civoniceva
11. Tallis
12. Gillmister
13. Myles

14. Thorn
15. D. Smith
16. Webcke
17. Lang

Martin Lang was a deadset legend. He'd knock himself out taking a hit up and not give a ****.

Bit surprised that Gary Larson has only appeared in a couple of teams I thought he would be a favourite to a lot more. My dad loved him and he is one of his favourite Origin players.

Sven is in camp to make a presentation to Jono for breaking his record of consecutive origins.

Let's get some discussion going - why are some of these players your favourite. Maybe explain some controversial selections (eg. Berrigan > Smith, Walters > Lewis, Why Schifcofske?)

Not having a go at anybody's opinions - I really like some of those selections and would like to get to know why? What about those players made you favour them?

A couple of explanations for me...

Dale Shearer - The story about how Rowdy would ring the selectors up to make himself available despite after retiring years later typifies how much the Origin jersey meant to Shearer. This was a guy who'd play anywhere for the Maroons and had an absolute knack for coming up with some massive plays like scoring the series winning try in 91 and coming up with a brilliant cover tackle on ET.

Brent Tate - How Tate has managed to play as many Origins as he's had, I don't even know. The guy has endured more setbacks than Mustafa of the Austin Powers series yet when he puts on that Maroon jersey, Tate fires up and most importantly makes himself accountable. Last year settled this choice for me. On a night where the ever reliable Slater and Boyd were dropping all sorts of high kicks, Tate rose to the occasion claiming attempt after attempt in the second half rendering the Blues one and only successful play useless.

And let's not forget that long range try that proved to be the catalyst in seven series wins - still one of the best Origin tries I've seen.

Lindner - One of the best backrows of all time who sadly never gets the credit he deserves. Bobby had it all - skills, defence and determination that saw him play on despite suffering a badly injured leg in 89.

Jackson - Nobody thought Queensland had a chance in hell when it was announced Lewis would miss the first game in 88. I think it would have been a job most players would hate to have, but not Jacko. Jacko went on with it and produced a near man of the match performance to guide the Maroons to the best possible start to the series. There aren't a lot of players of that era I believe could make it in ours, Peter Jackson was an exception and an example of what I want from a Queensland player.

Bella - At a time where Queensland weren't blessed with props, Bella did his absolute best to keep Queensland in the game against the likes of Chief and Lazo. My old man never understood Bella, why bring in a guy who couldn't pass in a team that was all about passing? Watching back, it's pretty clear - Bella enabled the likes of Langer and Lewis to do their jobs by doing that gritty work that most players hated to do at the time. Before the likes of Webby, Price, Bulla came on board - Bella for mine was head and shoulders the best prop for the Maroons.

Vautin - If you're like me, and didn't grow up watching Fatty play, you'd be amazed at how good he was for the Maroons. Like Rowdy, Fatty didn't care where he was picked or what assignment he was given, he'd chip in for the Maroons any which way and get through the work with plenty of vigor and quality. A definite Queensland great.

If we want to talk fan favourites, what about Billy Moore? An OK player (IMO anyway), but carved himself into legendary status with his war cry in '95. The series the Maroons were under siege and still managed to fight to a 3-0 whitewash.

1. Darren Lockyer
2. Michael Hancock
3. Peter Jackson
4. Mal Meninga
5. Willie Carne
6. Wally Lewis ©
7. Allan Langer
8. Greg Dowling
9. Shaun Berrigan
10. Shane Webcke
11. Gorden Tallis
12. Trevor Gillmeister
13. Tonie Carroll

14. Dale Shearer
15. Petero Civoniceva
16. Martin Lang
17. Steve Price

I know this is an Origin "favourite" ever team, but having watched every Origin match since 1980 as they happened, I cannot imagine a "best" Maroons team without:

Lockyer (at FB)
Langer
Lewis (whose best form was in Origin and with Langer formed the most effective halves pairing I have ever seen in Origin)
Meninga
Inglis
Tallis
Thorn
Civo
Cam Smith

In particular, Lockyer, Langer, Lewis, Cam Smith and Meninga I pick for their calm heads, mental toughness, leadership and organization skills which for mine are the most essential qualities necessary in a winning Origin team rather than flashy brilliance.

Active Now

• Broncs1459
  • Hurrijo
  • bb_gun
  • Alec
  • Midean
  • Sproj
  • Broncorob
  • bazza
  • Browny
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • The True King
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.