Name your top 5 Broncos

Nick Kenny is one of those cases where even the most dedicated League fans would just be completely clueless as to how he didn't kick on. His 2009 year was outstanding, and he never got near those heights again. The rapid rise and fall of players like him and Kemp have served to give us a lot of false hope over the years.

Loved the fact that he bought it every game. Wasn't the most talented bloke but **** me he didn't give up. Wish we had him out on the field this year. Carried our ass in 09 and should have got an origin call up at least that year as he was tremendous.
I don’t want to belittle your opinion, because this is literally a ‘your favourite players’ thread based on opinion only, so I understand everyone will most likely quantify this differently.

But boy, I don’t even know if Nick Kenny would put himself in his top 5.

Last edited:
Nick Kenny is one of those cases where even the most dedicated League fans would just be completely clueless as to how he didn't kick on. His 2009 year was outstanding, and he never got near those heights again. The rapid rise and fall of players like him and Kemp have served to give us a lot of false hope over the years.

Kenny was a late bloomer, he didn't become an NRL regular until he was 26 and after 2009 he struggled to maintain let alone improve on what he showed. I believe all the stars aligned for him to have one big season and that was the extent of his career. He's a great example for other footballers, but also living proof on how difficult it is to crack it in the NRL.

He got some injuries after that year didn't he??

1. Darren Lockyer
*Snip*
Special mentions to...
Petro - it was him or Webke
Kemp - The understanding he and Lockyer had with each other was brilliant. He also stars in my favourite Broncos try.

giphy.gif

I'll fucken Hiss Hoss you m8!

Last edited:
1. Minto.
2. Bott.
3. Lacey.
4. Kennedy.
5. Clinton.
/end thread.

Anyone else noticed that for whatever reason, Kevin Walters rarely features in most people's Top 5's, yet Alf is in virtually all of them? (I'm guilty of this too)

It's strange and kind of fascinating when you think about it. Walters played alongside Alfie, was part of 5 Premierships (1 more than Alf), he was also a decorated Broncos Captain, also played in a key spine position, was also about as 'Broncos' as a bloke could be, yet he doesn't seem to get the kind of love that a guy like Alfie does?

Just goes to show I guess that numbers don't always tell the whole story when it comes to people and how the perceive or feel about a player when you reflect on them over time and that maybe it's a bit more emotionally driven than it is purely logical.

Last edited:
I'd have Alf and Kevvie at the same level, and they're just outside my top five. I grew up on the 90s Broncos, so they both figure equally large in my formative love for the team and the game. If I was naming my all-time team, they'd be the halves, and Locky would be relegated to fullback.

But I can absolutely see why Alf trumps Kevvie on favourites lists -- he was just a bigger personality, in a littler package. Plus favourites aren't necessarily logical, anyway, and it seems to be more about emotional connection.

Maybe the best halves pairing ever, and everyone loves Kevv as a bloke. But Alf was the man. Origin legend before he became a Broncos legend as well.

Kevv would be in my top ten, for sure.

I vaguely recall that for a very brief period, there was speculation he could be in the Kangaroos squad.
From memory, @ethos was a big fan - am I remembering correctly, good sir?

That I was. Thoroughly unheralded player (in those one or two seasons he was decent ha). Overall ..

1. Darren Lockyer - Best player I've seen. Andrew Johns probably had a higher ceiling but wasn't up there enough. Lockyer was consistently great. Dominated two positions. Countless clutch plays to win matches.
2. Tonie Carroll - Brutal defender. Plenty skillful also, and had a fearsome combination in the centres with Darren Smith when I first started watching in the late '90s.
3. Darren Smith - Cliche, but one of the most natural all-round footy players.
4. Brent Tate - Doesn't get due recognition for what he achieved considering injuries. Blistering speed when he first came on the scene. And a beast for Australia and Queensland. A lack of YouTube highlights is a travesty.
5. Justin Hodges - Was aghast when he signed to return but quickly came around. Brilliant footwork / shuffling breaks from dummy half. Huge part of the '06 premiership run. Had a presence the team now really misses.

I am sorry but any top 5 without Langer is hard to understand

My memory only goes back to about 05, so given that:
Lockyer
Webcke
Hodges
K. Hunt.
TPJ (in as a favourite, not as an all time best player - but I love what he brings when he's going well)

Parker and Gillett just out.

Millenials.
Not quite. Langer as a Bronco was mostly what you grew up with if you were a millenial Broncos fan. Later born millenials might say Lockyer, but most of them would definitely have seen plenty of Langer.

Born in 1988, the Broncos are realistically a millenial club!

Last edited:
Not quite. Langer as a Bronco was mostly what you grew up with if you were a millenial Broncos fan.

You're right and it was a tongue in cheek response, it's so easy to blame the millenials and move on. Maybe this is purely my own perception, but I don't recall the term millenial coming into vogue until the 2010s when the 90s-mid 90s generation started coming of age. Before then it was Gen Y who were simply the younger version of that over-qualified under-employed Gen X. Again, that's just my perception and I'm sure there's somebody on here who could point out how old the term is.

Still, this board still has a lot of people in their 20s and teens who would be far more familiar with the Lockyer generation than Alfie.

I actually just straight up forgot Langer because Lockyer and Renouf were always taking top spot. I probably would put him in a revised list but **** it, my OG list is the hill I'm dying on.

I would add Tate to the OOM though. I always liked his tenacity, maybe not the most talented but god damn he would put in.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Spoon
  • bert_lifts
  • mystico
  • Broncorob
  • KateBroncos1812
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Santa
  • Allo
  • The Don
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Rambstien
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.