Name your top 5 Broncos

My alternative list:
1. Harvey Howard
2. Andrew Tessman
3. Bob Conway
4. Allan Cann
5. Scott Tronc
Tessman has the biggest snoz I have ever seen. Fair dinks you could stick a pole up it and use it for a marquee.....

Tessman has the biggest snoz I have ever seen. Fair dinks you could stick a pole up it and use it for a marquee.....
He was going to be one of the best props going around until his unfortunate accident.

Hodges
Lockyer
Renouf
Webcke
Plath

1. Lockyer - Standard
2. Langer - The beating heart of the club for a decade
3. Tallis - Simply a beast in his prime
4. Petero - From Cyril Connell begging Bennett to keep him on to becoming club Captain and one of our most decorated players. A true Broncos success story.
5. Dell - He was almost perfectly the 90's Broncos personified.

I guess looking back it's kind of sad that none of those guys were really around much this decade just gone. Apart from Parker and Hodges I'd struggle to name anyone from this last 5-8 seasons that would even make my Top 20. Kind of puts in perspective how good we used to be and just how far we've gone from that time.

Last edited:
My alternative list:
1. Harvey Howard
2. Andrew Tessman
3. Bob Conway
4. Allan Cann
5. Scott Tronc
Andrew Tessman was wonderful player who was just terribly unlucky with injury. He played for both qld and Australia. Allan Cann seemed to struggle with his tackling technique but worked hard (He gave a million high tackle penalties away and seemed to get suspended every second week). Cann was cross between the workload of glenn combined with the dicipline to TPJ.

Andrew Tessman was wonderful player who was just terribly unlucky with injury. He played for both qld and Australia. Allan Cann seemed to struggle with his tackling technique but worked hard (He gave a million high tackle penalties away and seemed to get suspended every second week). Cann was cross between the workload of glenn combined with the dicipline to TPJ.
Mate I think you might have Andrew and Brad Tessman mixed up. Pretty sure Andrew did not play for Qld or Australia, but Brad did.

1. Lockyer
1. Renouf
3. Sailor
4. Webcke
5. Thorn

Petero, Carroll, Hodges and Berrigan get on the order of merit. plenty of others could've been nominated though.

Mate I think you might have Andrew and Brad Tessman mixed up. Pretty sure Andrew did not play for Qld or Australia, but Brad did.
Yeah you're right it was brad that played rep. I vaguely remember Andrew was promising but kept getting injured. He was tall and that was the thing we lacked in our forwards at the time. There was always some big second rower offloading against us. It was probably what led to miles playing second row.

Yeah you're right it was brad that played rep. I vaguely remember Andrew was promising but kept getting injured. He was tall and that was the thing we lacked in our forwards at the time. There was always some big second rower offloading against us. It was probably what led to miles playing second row.
He was a really up and coming prop who played for Souths from memory in the BRL, but he was involved in an accident where he was struck by a car around the South Bank/South Brisbane area and he was never quite the same player after that.

From what I have watched
1. Lockyer
2. Langer
3. Webcke
4. Carroll
5. Berrigan

Notable mentions: Sailor, Hodges, KHunt, Petero and Parker.

Last edited:
Wal - the King
Locky
The Pearl
Alfie
Tunza

Subs:
Geno
Jed
Speedbump
Hodgo
Webby

Last edited:
On his Broncos time I can't include Wally. On his entire career the best player of the lot.

If you look at influence at the Broncos for me Langer, Lockyer, Lazarus, Webcke, Kevvy Tallis, Renouf, and Hancock. I'd actually change my top 5 from earlier to

1. Langer- (I think he was a better halfback than Johns. Tommy R agrees.)
2. Lockyer- Slightly behind Langer but an absolute great of the club.
3. Lazarus- Him coming to Brisbane is why we broke through and won comps
4. Webcke- The perfect replacementfor Lazzo. Civo not far behind. Haas may surpass them all.
5. Kevvie- Alf's partner Captained Brisbane to Premiership in 2000 without Langer too.

Renouf and Tallis could easily be part of this list and were in my original top 5.

Parker, Sailor, Thorn, Civo and Hancock are just below this group.

We’ve had so many but mine would be

Lewis
Lockyer
Langer
Hancock
Tallis

But huge fan of Webcke, Berro, Hodges, Pearl, Kevin Walters, Darren Smith

It would actually be easier (but still difficult) to have a top 10, top 5 forwards and top 5 backs.

1. Darren Lockyer
2. Allan Langer
3. Kevin Walters
4. Steve Renouf
5. Gene Miles

There’s a famous try of Wally’s from an origin in the late 80s when he runs around Jack....watch from the start of it....NSW had the ball and Gilly comes in around the midriff and the NSW bloke drops it. If people tackled like Gilly you’d have a knock on each set because everyone is a “two point” ball carrier (you see both points of the ball when they run) these days.

From an amazing game where Queensland despite losing Langer, Mal Meninga and Paul Vautin before halftime, michael hancock had to come off with a shoulder injury in the 2nd half while Bob Linder played on with a fractured ankle till he had to be carried off the field 5 minutes before the end managed to win 16-12.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Strop
  • Bucking Beads
  • phoenix
  • Broncosgirl
  • Wolfie
  • LGH
  • Foordy
  • eggstar10
  • Spooky1013
  • Battler
  • kiwibronco
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Rowdy124
  • Fozz
  • Manofoneway
  • broncsgoat
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • BroncosAlways
... and 23 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.