Nathan Tinkler under investigation for allegedly betting on rugby league

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Can this guy get in any more trouble?

Nathan Tinkler under investigation for allegedly betting on rugby league | News.com.au

"NEWCASTLE Knights' high-profile owner Nathan Tinkler is under investigation by rugby league's integrity unit after allegedly breaking strict NRL rules by betting on his side during 2011."

"
According to a claim made by Luxbet in the Northern Territory Supreme Court in January, Tinkler plunged $25,000 on Newcastle in a match against New Zealand Warriors at Mount Smart Stadium on August 13, 2011."

also, found this interesting:

"Coach Wayne Bennett's future at the club would be in some jeopardy should Tinkler's licence be suspended. Bennett's deal is understood to be with Tinkler, not the Knights."

why would wayne bennett not be contracted by the club?

Throw the fat **** out of the game.

Yeah the Knights were certainly wise to hitch their wagon to his star ....

I don't get these people, they have so much money yet they need to make more again, and inevitably end up going down the gurgler.

it's astonishing greed.

That's more of a general comment at Tinkler rather than this particular incident.

WB looking for a new club in 2014 ...mmmmmm lol ! I guy can dream can't he ?

I dson't know if I'd want Benno back at the moment. What is he like 70? He looks like he could fall over any day but besides that he will only be here a couple years and then the club will plunge back into a low after he leaves. I can't imagine what the Knights will look like when his time there is up. Over half the team will be in retirement age by then. The club will need to find a new coach and almost an entirely new squad.

I dson't know if I'd want Benno back at the moment. What is he like 70? He looks like he could fall over any day but besides that he will only be here a couple years and then the club will plunge back into a low after he leaves. I can't imagine what the Knights will look like when his time there is up. Over half the team will be in retirement age by then. The club will need to find a new coach and almost an entirely new squad.
he left us in shambles.
he left st george in shambles.
like you said, from the looks of it he will leave the knights in shambles.

his time as head coach of the broncos is done, people need to move on. hes not what we needed then, hes not what we need now. what we need are some quality players.

he left us in shambles.
he left st george in shambles.
like you said, from the looks of it he will leave the knights in shambles.

his time as head coach of the broncos is done, people need to move on. hes not what we needed then, hes not what we need now. what we need are some quality players.

That's right, we didn't need those 6 premierships... in fact having 0 premierships would make this current period not seem so bad.

Living in the past isn't going to get us more.

Yeah Nashy that wasn't my point at all. I don't want Bennett back and think it would be a move backwards, my point was that it seems silly to say we didn't need him previously

Yeah Nashy that wasn't my point at all. I don't want Bennett back and think it would be a move backwards, my point was that it seems silly to say we didn't need him previously
maybe i shouldve been a bit clearer. back when he left, he was not what the club needed at the time - thats why they were planning on getting rid of him. he found out, so he jumped ship.

remember, he had only gotten 1 premiership since unlimited interchange was scrapped, the same as many other coaches. the broncos were headed nowhere with him as their coach. we were even more of an old boys club back then than we are now. sent wayne a christmas card? here, have a guaranteed starting 17 spot for life and a hugely upgraded contract no matter how rubbish you are.

Left St George in a shambles , ! Two minor premierships, a world club challenge trophy and of course a Premiership in three years ! Now that's failure ! Brisbanes been so much better since he left, duh ? On the verge of missing the finals twice in five years.

Left St George in a shambles , ! Two minor premierships, a world club challenge trophy and of course a Premiership in three years ! Now that's failure ! Brisbanes been so much better since he left, duh ? On the verge of missing the finals twice in five years.
and look at st george now, or even last year. and again, broncos beat the dragons overall in 2 of those 3 years.

Not sure you're getting the point, it's not about what he did while at the clubs, it's what he left behind afterwards.

That's a problem for the next coach. While he was there he gave them their best success in 30 years and got them two minor premierships. I'd hardly be calling for his head if I was a ST George fan, instead I'd be thanking him for his service.

It also borderlines being a pest and a 'disease' to clubs, would you be willing to risk him leaving your club in shambles in return for 1 premiership? or would you rather another coach builds towards success and doesn't just strip the club and run once he has had success.

The coaches job is to do the best for his team, not to do the best for the team he is leaving behind. If Bellamy went to St George and signed Cronk and Smith along with him I wouldn't have any problem with that. It's up to the coach to recruit his best players wherever he goes, not leave them behind out of some sense of loyalty to his old club.

Besides how did he leave St George in shambles? Guys like Soward just became shit when he wasn't under Bennett and ultimately it's up the clubs recruitment manager to ensure they have the best playing roster, regardless of the coach leaving.

When he left us, we made the grand final qualifier that year only to lose to a cheating team. The following year we came 6th on the ladder and the 3rd year after he left we were playing brilliantly with a real shot at a premiership only for Lockyer to go down.

Last edited:
Tinkler all cleared on this investigation, didnt know that he couldnt bet on his team lol.

No Cookies | thetelegraph.com.au

"Inquiries today revealed that Mr Tinkler had reported the bet to then Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, in 2011 explaining that he had been unaware of the rule preventing an owner from betting and an undertaking was secured that he would not bet on games in the future," the NRL said in a statement. "

Active Now

• matthewransom34@ic
  • Organix
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.