New South Wales 2014 Line-Ups

I don't think fans can underestimate how big of an inclusion Jarryd Hayne is. He was a stand out in their victory against us at ANZ last year and was unfortunate to miss the rest of the series with whatever injury it was he picked up at club level. If NSW can build their game plan around him, they're half a chance of beating Queensland, especially if Queensland enter the game with a weak attitude like they have in the past.

I just think they'll miss Fifita & Bird when all is said and done but I expect a pretty tense game and I'd hate to enter a clutch period against Hodkinson. He's a bit like Jason Taylor in that regard, not the most talented halfback but can handle the pressure extremely well.

I don't think fans can underestimate how big of an inclusion Jarryd Hayne is. He was a stand out in their victory against us at ANZ last year and was unfortunate to miss the rest of the series with whatever injury it was he picked up at club level. If NSW can build their game plan around him, they're half a chance of beating Queensland, especially if Queensland enter the game with a weak attitude like they have in the past.

I just think they'll miss Fifita & Bird when all is said and done but I expect a pretty tense game and I'd hate to enter a clutch period against Hodkinson. He's a bit like Jason Taylor in that regard, not the most talented halfback but can handle the pressure extremely well.

This 100%

Hayne playing in his preferred position cannot be understated. He's been NSW best available FB for the last 4 or so years and has played like 2-3 games there!?! To name Mini over him was a fucking crime. Of which QLD were the benefactors of course :) Nice one Ricky....

Although I will say, I'd take Thurston or Cronk in a clutch situation any day of the week over Hodkinson. I take your point though

Last edited:
I get your point BP, and as good as Jayne is, imagine if the boot was on the other foot, and the opposition were instead the ones with Slater, Inglis, Hodges, Thurston, Cronk, Smith and DCE on the bench, how would we feel?

Obviously the Maroons go in as favourites but at the same time, NSW have plenty of quality players of their own who are capable of taking the match.

Despite all the injuries heading into Game 3, they only lost by a slim margin.

This team is better than the one that entered that game.

It's Origin, it's never a foregone conclusion and I think the selectors did a pretty good job this year for their side.

I think Hodkinson/Renoylds is a better combination than Pearce/Maloney.

I still think we'll win but they have a good team.

I'm scared of Hayne, probably as much as NSW is scared of Inglis

I'm scared of Hayne, probably as much as NSW is scared of Inglis

He certainly looks the most likely to tear us a new one.

Hopefully he's off his game a bit and goes into his shell (as he does)

Problem for us is, hayne will get the ball 20 + times, inglis maybe 10

Might not be such a bad thing. Hayne isn't really the dominant playmaker in the Eels team. He's certainly the dominant player but he does that by injecting himself when he wants. It's not like Sandow and Norman pass him the ball every single time. I reckon that is exactly what NSW are likely to do -- they'll force feed Hayne so much that they'll reduce his effectiveness without us needing to.

Obviously the Maroons go in as favourites

I still find it funny how long into this streak we got away with calling ourselves the underdogs :laugh:

And there's always that old adage "NSW look better on paper".

Delete this post. Wrong thread.

Last edited:
I still find it funny how long into this streak we got away with calling ourselves the underdogs :laugh:

And there's always that old adage "NSW look better on paper".

:laugh: you're not wrong.

Always found it funny how both sides would try and claim underdog status.

Origin 2006 - We've lost Hunt, Hodges & Bell. We had to call Hannay in from QCup FFS! Clear underdogs.
Origin 2007 - Never beat NSW in Sydney before, clearly underdogs.
Origin 2008 - No Lockyer, we're going to do it tough.
Origin 2009 - Myles has got diareha, Johnson is bugger, Hannant has a bung leg and we're playing in Sydney. No chance.
Origin 2010 - No Smith and our front row
Origin 2011 - Have you seen our centres? Nielsen and Tonga FFS!
Origin 2012 - No Lockyer, we're going to do it tough.
Origin 2013 - Two games in NSW this series, going to be tough.

I don't think we have any material left other than, "C'mon guys, they dumped Pearce, it's a start."

Despite QLD having a far better team all round for most of those series.

The poor old QLD line is used nonstop in both Rugby codes.

Despite QLD having a far better team all round for most of those series.

The poor old QLD line is used nonstop in both Rugby codes.

I've found it a bit ridiculous also. They haven't been underdogs since 2007 imo.

Qld will always have a mortgage on the underdog status - just because NSW will always have a bigger pool of talent to draw from. The caliber of the player doesn't figure into it.

Qld will always have a mortgage on the underdog status - just because NSW will always have a bigger pool of talent to draw from. The caliber of the player doesn't figure into it.

This. NSW have so many more clubs in the NRL and a larger population. That QLD would even have won half the series between the teams would be an achievement. To do what they have in the last eight years is absolutely remarkable.

Hopoate and Josh Jackson have been called into the NSW camp. Supposedly just to cover all bases but it's kind of a strange move to do it today. At least for Hopoate.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • FACTHUNT
  • winslow_wong
  • Financeguy
  • BroncosAlways
  • KateBroncos1812
  • phoenix
  • Justwin
  • Culhwch
  • GCBRONCO
  • Santa
  • Fatboy
  • Mum-the-meatloaf
  • Broncorob
  • maddo
  • Dash
  • Battler
  • jd87
  • Dazza 92
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.