ANNOUNCEMENT News: the carnival is over

CM's thinking: one article on Boyd gets 10 pages of comments on a fan site...
[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848] if we ban them from posting our articles they'll all come to CM and pay a subscription to read the articles = $$$

Reality: CM post article... fan site summarises and turns into 10 page thread... no one visits CM site... every fan on the site hates CM even more... Petey B fades off into obscurity because almost no one will be reading his actual articles
Exactly what I thought of it. I mean it's fine and it's their right, but you never win over people by being dickheads. I guarantee before they would have got many, many clicks which is ad revenue, maybe another interesting story on the sidebar which leads to more revenue, and occasionally convert some clicks into a subscription.

Have it your way, Murdoch.

Yeah no automated stuff. Just genuine criticism/review/paraphrasing of an article is fine and falls under fair use and surely CM will not have a problem with that. As long as it's genuinely a user's summary of the article that's fine. We don't want to be sneaky about it, paraphrasing is genuinely fair use, automated stuff is not.

I used an online paraphrase tool an got this back?
Code:
https://paraphrasing-tool.com/
Better believe it no robotized stuff. Simply certifiable analysis/survey/rewording of an article is fine and falls under reasonable use and definitely CM won't have an issue with that. For whatever length of time that it's really a client's synopsis of the article that is fine. We would prefer not to be slippery about it, rewording is truly reasonable use, robotized stuff isn't.

Easy work around

Just curious, how the hell does news still make money?
I haven't bought a paper in years, more than a decade at least. Everything I've seen In it seems to conjecture mixed with opinion, designed to appeal to only half the potential readership. Nobody has either with the exception of my 86 year old father (who has dementia)
I never heard of a single person who doesn't work in the media that prescribes to their online publications.
What do they pay their lawyers? Free prescriptions of Women's Day?

I drive trucks full of newspapers (and other things) so I can assure you that people still buy them, especially in rural communities. Why, I don’t know... Habit maybe?
Pretty good fire starter in winter and bird cage liner

Maccas and cafes will have them as reading material. They attract a fair few comments on the articles online so there must be a solid subscriber base there.

The money doesn't come from people buying them, it comes from the advertisers. It would appear that those who spend money to have ads in them are still getting value for money. It's likely that the small proportion of the community that still buy newspapers have a very particular mindset that is of interest to certain markets. For example, mostly older, retired people with disposable income. To be more specific, my Mum is a Karen and she still gets them delivered, both the CM and the Australian. Certain companies make a lot of money from her.

I haven't bought a paper in years, more than a decade at least. Everything I've seen In it seems to conjecture mixed with opinion, designed to appeal to only half the potential readership. Nobody has either with the exception of my 86 year old father (who has dementia)
I never heard of a single person who doesn't work in the media that prescribes to their online publications.
In more than a decade you say...

So would that be pre 2010 or 2011?

#crossthreadjoke

Last edited:
giphy.gif

I would expect that the printed newspaper will die off, like cheques and street directories, as the the only people using them do the same

My mum is 86 and still types her cheques on her manual typewriter (not even an electric!) but nobody who is 46 is doing that

The company in question is also the majority owner of the Brisbane Broncos, Fox, Sky, Dow Jones, The Sun, The Times and the Wall Street Journal - just to mention a few household names. Hope this helps.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Jedhead
  • theshed
  • Xzei
  • Porthoz
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.