Next Broncos coach

Who should it be?

• Total voters
But also glad he isn't hanging around, this club needs to move on from every vestige of the idiocy Seibold bought with him.
Oh yeah I agree, just pointing out that I'm pleased to see him get work elsewhere as I'm grateful for the job he took on in what were no doubt incredibly tough circumstances and giving it the best shot he could.

good signing for them

Yeah he seems pretty good at analysing the game, those 3 together have a lot of experience. Calm experienced old heads, it could work.

Last edited:
Peter Gentle has joined the Dragons coaching staff for next season.

Unsurprising, I think we're going to clean out nearly every staff member.
What was Gentle's percentage win rate while coaching us?

What was Gentle's percentage win rate while coaching us?
I think this is one of those rare occasions where the win % does a poor job of expressing what impact he had on the side as a Head Coach.

We might have lost every game, but I think given what he took over from and the personnel he had left at his disposal he actually did quite a reasonable job.

I think this is one of those rare occasions where the win % does a poor job of expressing what impact he had on the side as a Head Coach.

We might have lost every game, but I think given what he took over from and the personnel he had left at his disposal he actually did quite a reasonable job.
Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. He should never have been afforded the privilege of being on our coaching staff. The whole lot of them have (with hindsight) been shown up as abject failures.

Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. He should never have been afforded the privilege of being on our coaching staff. The whole lot of them have (with hindsight) been shown up as abject failures.
Yeah sure, it's a cool saying and sounds good on the internet, but it isn't really true, nor is it any use to anyone who actually watched us play over the last 6 weeks and could see the shift in attitude and application that came about once Gentle was placed in charge.

He may not have won games, but I'd suggest that when you remove the emotion and look at things a bit more rationally, some of the team lists he was basically forced to send out with our injury ravaged roster, not even Craig Bellamy could probably have gotten results that were much better.

He was served up a turd sandwich of a playing roster that had been mentally demoralised for those last 6 weeks and personally I feel he deserves some credit for his willingness to at least give it a decent chew.

Last edited:
Yeah sure, it's a cool saying and sounds good on the internet, but it isn't really true, nor is it any use to anyone who actually watched us play over the last 6 weeks and could see the shift in attitude and application that came about once Gentle was placed in charge.

He may not have won games, but I'd suggest that when you remove the emotion and look at things a bit more rationally, some of the team lists he was basically forced to send out with our injury ravaged roster, not even Craig Bellamy could probably have gotten results that were much better.

He was served up a turd sandwich of a playing roster that had been mentally demoralised for those last 6 weeks and personally I feel he deserves some credit for his willingness to at least give it a decent chew.

Agree with this 100%
He is one of the few I would have been happy to stay on under kevvie
Good that he’s got a start with st George I wish him every success (except when we are playing the dragons) ;)

you just proved you don't read the forum before coming on to try and pick a fight
I didn't see you respond this time, but you chose to respond to a singular part of his argument and that's pretty disappointing. Still, it's nice of you to finally respond to someone arguing against your points. Baby steps.

Since that Catalans season, what has he be doing? Learning from those that many would say are the absolute best coaches the game has ever seen. So here's his resume.

Assistant to Wayne Bennett
One win away from the GF with the Catalans Dragons
Assistant to Craig Bellamy
Halves coach under Wayne Bennett
Assistant to Wayne Bennett
Queensland State of Origin coach

I'll be damned if I am going to judge him based on a singular season that occurred over a decade ago in a half assed competition where players go to waste time and earn some cash before they retire, in a team that had players who didn't even speak English. The imports they had were Casey McGuire (30), Brent Sherwin (32), Steve Bell (34), Dallas Johnson (28), Chris Walker (30), Adam Mogg (33), Dane Carlaw (30) and Clint Greenshields (28). Not terrible but also if we remember back to how shit all of them were at the back end of their careers, and the fact that most of them played less than half of the games for them that season you can see why they did so terribly. Also the rest of the team was filled with nobodies and the other clubs had pretty impressive rosters that year. Context is nice, we can't just say 37% and be done with it. Quite frankly, the fact he won 37% of games with the team he had is pretty impressive.

then i suppose you believe that Nathan Brown is a good coach.

because he also made the challenge cup final in his first season, like Walters, but unlike Walters he also won a super league title and had an overall winning record of 59%

A coach can only be as good as the players at his disposal and some context also needs to be added when discussing coaching credentials as stats only tell part of the story.

Have you seen the difference in rosters between 2009-2010 Catalans and St Helens during Browny’s tenure? As someone who follows Super League I can tell you that it’s like comparing the 2020 Storm roster compared to the 2020 Bulldogs roster.

When Kevvy was head coach of Catalans, they were a team full of semi professional French players with a sprinkling of some mid tier NRL talent at the back end of their careers and had no genuine top level talent. They sure as shit didn’t have players of the calibre of James Maloney, Sam Tomkins and Israel Folau like present day Catalans do.

I would argue his win rate was a pass mark with what he had at his disposal and what he was up against. Also he got them to over achieve in his first season which was Catalans 4th ever season in the top tier of English League with the challenges they faced up against the more established sides. He obviously also left the club in decent shape too as Trent Robinson had some success with them after taking over the joint.

It doesn’t scream NRL head coaching genius in the making but he as sure as shit deserves an opportunity.

As I mentioned earlier he has more going for him than many head coaches before him that were plucked straight out of assistant coach roles and thrown in the deep end.

the difference between JD and Walters, is that JD doesn't have a top grade history to review. Walters does. Besides coaching the Clydesdales would have been much easier back then because he got all of the Broncos fringe players in the one team (unlike now where they are spread all over)

So your using the talent Walters had at his disposal with the Clydesdales as an excuse for his QCup winning percentage but refuse to acknowledge the absolute lack of talent he had at his disposal at Catalans and refuse to use that as an excuse for a 37% winning record.

Ok then...

So your using the talent Walters had at his disposal with the Clydesdales as an excuse for his QCup winning percentage but refuse to acknowledge the absolute lack of talent he had at his disposal at Catalans and refuse to use that as an excuse for a 37% winning record.

Ok then...

well it keeps getting pointed out to me that he did well in his first season at Catalans before his squad fell off a cliff in his second season in charge. so he must have done something to see that dramatic a change in their fortunes.

p.s. i'm not the only one concerned about his performance in his ONLY first grade head coaching role to date ... only time will tell if those concerns were justified or not.

I fear there wouldn’t be many left standing. Shit, Milford probably wouldn’t even bother going.
He would if they told him there was a Maccas there.

Last edited:
Peter Gentle has joined the Dragons coaching staff for next season.

Unsurprising, I think we're going to clean out nearly every staff member.
Good luck to him ive got nothing against the bloke...hopefully all of fraudbolds staff are booted too....all the board should be fucked off as well but thats asking too much from these clowns....took forever to name a coach and id bet it wasnt unanimous....probably got the applicants to throw a dart and obviously kev was closest to the Bull

Good luck to him ive got nothing against the bloke...hopefully all of fraudbolds staff are booted too....all the board should be fucked off as well but thats asking too much from these clowns....took forever to name a coach and id bet it wasnt unanimous....probably got the applicants to throw a dart and obviously kev was closest to the Bull

More likely further away, on the back wall their aim seems to be that bad.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Kev_Guz
  • Santa
  • Browny
  • Harry Sack
  • Aldo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Astro
  • Griffo
  • Alec
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Wolfie
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • broncsgoat
  • Thelmus
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • Johnny92
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.