Nine axes Footy Show? Fatty gorrrn

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/channel-nine-axe-the-footy-show-after-24-years-on-air-20171017-gz2i8h

Channel Nine has axed founding host Paul Vautin from the Logie-award winning The Footy Show as the program undergoes its most dramatic overhaul in 24 years.

There was confusion on Tuesday over whether the show had been axed to make way for a new one-hour program headed by Vautin's co-host Erin Molan with more of a focus on football.

1508213570194.jpg

Uncertain future: Darryl Brohman's, Paul Vautin's and Beau Ryan's futures are up in the air, while Erin Molan will host a new rugby league show.
Some panellists and many others at Nine have been told the show had been dumped. Others at Nine insisted it had not because The Footy Show brand was so iconic. We won't know until round one next March.

Footy Show executive producer Glenn Pallister this week told Vautin, who is holidaying in the US, the show would no longer exist in its current format and he would not be a part of it. Vautin has one year of his contract to run and is likely to spend it in the commentary box calling matches.

And nothing of value was lost.

With this and Lisa Wilkinson fucking off to channel 10, Nine are hemorrhaging talent like they are the ones facing bankruptcy.

There was a footy show on channel 9?

Fatty is long overdue getting shit canned - well I assume he is because he was rubbish years ago when I last watched.

But if all they have to replace him with is Erin Molan then they were probably better off keeping the current format.

A terrible show that should have been axed ages ago.

Good riddance !!

Fatty had a charmed run. Got paid well to be a clown on a TV show for 23 years. He should be pretty grateful.

Yep, the show should have been axed years ago. Some of the old pre-2003 stuff is absolute gold though.

Still, I don't mind Fatty. Yeah, he's not the most knowledgeable pundit around, and he can be a bit of an idiot at times, but he seems like a genuinely good bloke. The kind of fella you'd want to have a beer with and share a yarn.

I don't get what the big deal is about Erin Molan. She's the worst of the bunch, boring as hell.
Exactly. I remember earlier this year there was a bit of discussion about gender quotas in RL with Yvonne Sampson unfairly the centre of the discussion. Erin Molan really is dumb as dogshit and only has her job because she's a woman. Would not surprise me one bit if the ch9 execs are high-fiving and patting each other on the back for this "masterstroke". Maybe I will switch on and watch once or twice next year, just to see how much lower they can possibly go. I've always been a sucker for a high speed train wreck.

Just another example of gender equality being forced upon us. I like Yvonne Sampson, Mel MaLaughlin ,Megan Barnard and Lara Pitt but **** me enough is enough.

K think channel nein was desperate for something like this after the Lisa Wilkensen thing.

Kind of feel like the show was kind of rough and ready and politically incorrect in the late 90s. So it was watchable. Then slowly they started bending the show to PC forces and it just turned more and more crap.

Fatty was gold in the early days. Even some of his early media work on Youtube is hilarious. Dropping the F bomb live on camera in one of his first outings of broadcasting games.

Yep, the show should have been axed years ago. Some of the old pre-2003 stuff is absolute gold though.

Still, I don't mind Fatty. Yeah, he's not the most knowledgeable pundit around, and he can be a bit of an idiot at times, but he seems like a genuinely good bloke. The kind of fella you'd want to have a beer with and share a yarn.

I do wonder how much of that was forced on him by the producers. He looked genuinely annoyed at some of the segments he had to do. That said, I haven't tuned in for a long time. I watched the interview with him on the Sterlo show and the stupidity was gone and I think he's far more knowledgeable than is shown.

Channel 9 has taken rugby league for granted and been a "Boy's Club" for years. No wonder Yvonne Sampson left, when she hosted the Sunday Footy show she had to put up with Fittler's and John's idiocrity and snide jokes, she looked so uncomfortable. 9 has pretty much had it's way with rugby league. Having full rights and only showing 2 live games a week for so long was an absolute joke. It has now taken Fox to get their own Rugby League channel and ratings have plummeted.

If only the NRL had some foresight back in the mid-90s and allowed Foxtel the tv rights we would be pumping ahead of AFL, but instead we had a civil war which the game has never really recovered from.

Channel 9 logic:

"It's obvious people aren't watching the footy show because we don't actually talk footy on it and it isn't funny......"

"I know! Let's replace an un-funny ex footy player with a woman who women don't like, is the least funny person on tv, and knows literally nothing about footy!"

I think I'll save judging the show and its new format until after it's aired. Vautin may have been a force against change of the show's format, and hence his axing. Will Erin molin make the show better? I doubt it, but blaming her for the shows failing ignores the fact it was a tired concept way before her arrival and she was probably put there as a failed solution to broaden its appeal.
People who love football will watch a football talk show. They'll watch it for insights into their team and if you give more than tired cliche's and club sanitized pulp masquerading as revelation, they'll stay. Wrap that information in an emotive context, build a story around the information, relate to a shared common human experience, you'll get people to stay watching and even attract their housemates/family/friends who may not care for football but love a shared experience of comedy or drama those stories bring.

I think I'll save judging the show and its new format until after it's aired. Vautin may have been a force against change of the show's format, and hence his axing. Will Erin molin make the show better? I doubt it, but blaming her for the shows failing ignores the fact it was a tired concept way before her arrival and she was probably put there as a failed solution to broaden its appeal.
People who love football will watch a football talk show. They'll watch it for insights into their team and if you give more than tired cliche's and club sanitized pulp masquerading as revelation, they'll stay. Wrap that information in an emotive context, build a story around the information, relate to a shared common human experience, you'll get people to stay watching and even attract their housemates/family/friends who may not care for football but love a shared experience of comedy or drama those stories bring.

So pretty much everything this show doesn’t do.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • porouian
  • Xzei
  • Dash
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Foordy
  • Jazza
  • Gaz
  • Harry Sack
  • theshed
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Culhwch
  • broncsgoat
  • Lazza
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.