NEWS Nine threatens to cancel its support of NRL

BHQ: The NRL should be dissolved and start from scratch due to poor management/ mismanaging their funds ...

CH 9: The NRL are poorly run and have mismanaged the money we have paid them over the years

BHQ: **** YOU CHANNEL 9 ... you should lose the rights, even if it means the NRL get less money and/or fans have to get a pay TV subscription just to watch the sport.

BHQ amuses me sometimes ... channel nine just repeated what this site has been saying for the last few weeks

It wouldn't matter who the broadcaster was, they would need to be involved in the discussions.

Let's hypothesise for a moment that the NRL picked a date and for whatever reason the broadcaster couldn't cover it (highly unlikely sure) - what would be the point of the game returning? No eyes, no interest. It really is idiotic to not consider this.

It's amazing to me people's response to this is **** ch9, give it to someone else? like Channel 10 would be fine with the NRL telling them how to run their channel? rocks in your head.
This!
CH9 certainly has plenty to answer for, but I don't get the criticism in this case, much less the hyperbole being thrown around.

The NRL IS mismanaged without a doubt. There is a glimmer of hope that Vlandys might bring some change to that, but if they want to address the issues plaguing CH9, Foxtel, etc..., the NRL needs to do so from a position of strength, not when the broadcasters are quite literally the code's lifeblood.

BHQ: The NRL should be dissolved and start from scratch due to poor management/ mismanaging their funds ...

CH 9: The NRL are poorly run and have mismanaged the money we have paid them over the years

BHQ: **** YOU CHANNEL 9 ... you should lose the rights, even if it means the NRL get less money and/or fans have to get a pay TV subscription just to watch the sport.

BHQ amuses me sometimes ... channel nine just repeated what this site has been saying for the last few weeks

It amuses me more how constantly you miss the point of some conversations. People have every right to be pissed off at a partner of the game who constantly shits all over it.

It wouldn't matter who the broadcaster was, they would need to be involved in the discussions.

Let's hypothesise for a moment that the NRL picked a date and for whatever reason the broadcaster couldn't cover it (highly unlikely sure) - what would be the point of the game returning? No eyes, no interest. It really is idiotic to not consider this.

It's amazing to me people's response to this is **** ch9, give it to someone else? like Channel 10 would be fine with the NRL telling them how to run their channel? rocks in your head.

I've said **** 9 well before this blew up. But the bottom line is, we have no idea. It may have been 1 of 50 ideas they had to take to 9 on Tuesday for all we know, and the story leaked, and the pricks that try to bring the game down whenever they can, tried to do exactly that again.

I've said **** 9 well before this blew up. But the bottom line is, we have no idea. It may have been 1 of 50 ideas they had to take to 9 on Tuesday for all we know, and the story leaked, and the pricks that try to bring the game down whenever they can, tried to do exactly that again.
hey fair enough, ch9 do have a lot to answer for and you are right, it does seem like there is a vested interest in trying to make the game look bad.
having said that, it appears ch9 haven't been involved at all in the discussions, otherwise what would be the point of coming out blasting them? it's bad for both parties but I doubt this is something they'd do if they were privy to at least some of the discussions.

the nrl are so hellbent on returning (because of their financial mismanagement) it appears they've not considered their broadcaster.

hey fair enough, ch9 do have a lot to answer for and you are right, it does seem like there is a vested interest in trying to make the game look bad.
having said that, it appears ch9 haven't been involved at all in the discussions, otherwise what would be the point of coming out blasting them? it's bad for both parties but I doubt this is something they'd do if they were privy to at least some of the discussions.

the nrl are so hellbent on returning (because of their financial mismanagement) it appears they've not considered their broadcaster.

There were rumours that Vlandys was no fan of Channel 9. So maybe it was considered, and he considered it a way to piss them off enough to cancel an unfair contract with a shit partner.

I dunno. I'm sure the NRL have fucked something up, it's the NRL, but I'll get behind the sport before I get behind 9.

9 are saying what every fan is thinking but I guess when I think about it, it's probably not good that a partner of the game are shitting on the NRL in a public space. One of 9's biggest names, Phil Gould, constantly shits all over the NRL during broadcasts. There are constant articles shitting all over the NRL. The result of this is that it stirs the pot amongst fans.

I'm guessing the new guy isn't happy that a partner of the game are shitting on them in such a way when there are other ways of handling issues, and this is his little **** you to them. You want to be involved? Get behind the game instead of shitting on them all the time.

If I were him, first thing I would be doing is putting together a broadcast deal which includes State of Origin rights and going to 10 and 7.

This!
CH9 certainly has plenty to answer for, but I don't get the criticism in this case, much less the hyperbole being thrown around.

The NRL IS mismanaged without a doubt. There is a glimmer of hope that Vlandys might bring some change to that, but if they want to address the issues plaguing CH9, Foxtel, etc..., the NRL needs to do so from a position of strength, not when the broadcasters are quite literally the code's lifeblood.

Who has said that 9 is out of line? I just don’t think the NRL did anything wrong here and I pay for Foxtel because their coverage is better so I couldn’t give a **** about 9.

Who has said that 9 is out of line? I just don’t think the NRL did anything wrong here and I pay for Foxtel because their coverage is better so I couldn’t give a **** about 9.
Yeah, I couldn't give a **** about 9 either, but the majority of people rely on FTA TV to watch the NRL because they don't have Foxtel or Kayo.

While hypocritical because they love to sink the boot in, Nine just said what most of us think about a NRL management which keeps shooting itself in the foot, with this being another example.
If they want to be able to run a competition which will almost certainly happen in empty stadiums, while completely broke due to piss poor management, shouldn't they involve the guys whom they have a contract with (so no, they can't just go to 7 or 10), will be responsible to bring the games to most people's homes, and the cash to make it possible?

I'm more pissed at 9 because surely some League is better than No League. It's not the NRL's fault that we have entered uncharted territory in modern times, the NRL have done the right thing to follow the rules designed for safety, and yeah, I guess that 9 has paid for a certain amount of games, but FFS, get a grip and realise the reality we now live in. Should the NRL get up and running, and be one of the few codes actually broadcasting, certainly 9's viewership in the 13-odd weeks will be MASSIVE.

Also, I don't swallow the bullshit that having no crowds is big deal in terms of entertainment value for viewers. The clubs themselves lose a LOT more in game-day revenue and venue sponsorship, but they are just happy to be playing games. I feel nine are just being bullies, are being deliberately ignorant of how much needs to happen just to get the season re-started at all.

**** channel 9. Seriously.

Nine needs the NRL much more than the NRL needs Ch9. Let them rely on all their other sports...oh wait.

Move to another FTA and sell the rights to ESPN in America. They're crying out for sport and would pay good money to show something.

State of Origin is one of the few things keeping Nine relevant at this point. As I understand it, Channel 7 and all of their shit reality shows are kicking Nines ass. NRL should keep SoO as a package deal and Nine possibly won't have a choice.

Last edited:
Does anyone else feel that this pressure from Chanel 9 is why the NRL are pushing to resume next month? I mean we are currently locked in our houses, not allowed to leave unless absolutely necessary.

I want to watch footy as much as possible but I hope they aren’t rushing it

Does anyone else feel that this pressure from Chanel 9 is why the NRL are pushing to resume next month? I mean we are currently locked in our houses, not allowed to leave unless absolutely necessary.

I want to watch footy as much as possible but I hope they aren’t rushing it

I get the feeling that the reason NRL are pushing to resume the comp (and why they held off stopping it in the first place) is purely financial. because themselves and the majority of clubs (especially in Sydney) have grossly mismanaged their funds, potentially causing clubs to fold if the suspension ran too long.

I actually get the feeling that nine didn't actually want the season to resume this year, because they then wouldn't have to pay the NRL. that would help mitigate some of their own losses during the pandemic

Last edited:
IMO 9 are just using the COVID crisis as an excuse to try to save money

IMO 9 are just using the COVID crisis as an excuse to try to save money

Worse, they seem like those Japanese organised crime mobs that terrorised rural areas, demanding their crop in exchange for "protection".

NRL: "The plagues this season have decimated our crops. But thankfully we were able to save some of the harvest. Here we have plans to hand over 15 units".

9: "This is an insult. Plagues do not concern us. We demand all 25 units or we can't guarantee your continued safety".

Health Minister isn't having a great month.

Teams are going to line up to play the Titans, plenty of isolation between their players when they are defending.

Active Now

• Organix
  • Astro
  • pennywisealfie
  • Rookie Alan
  • BroncosMan
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.