NEWS Nine threatens to cancel its support of NRL

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013

I have to be honest, if the worst thing that happens to the NRL during this crisis is the relationship with Nine goes south and the NRL move to 10 or something on a slightly cheaper deal, that isn't the worst result for the code imaginable. Nine are clearly being pig headed and playing hardball with the NRL when they really aren't in any position to be doing so and their relationship with the game has been pernicious for too long anyway.

Personally if I were the NRL, I would be considering going all in on internet streaming. **** the broadcasters, they aren't long for this world anyway and neither is Foxtel.

I have to be honest, if the worst thing that happens to the NRL during this crisis is the relationship with Nine goes south and the NRL move to 10 or something on a slightly cheaper deal, that isn't the worst result for the code imaginable. Nine are clearly being pig headed and playing hardball with the NRL when they really aren't in any position to be doing so and their relationship with the game has been pernicious for too long anyway.

Personally if I were the NRL, I would be considering going all in on internet streaming. **** the broadcasters, they aren't long for this world anyway and neither is Foxtel.
That makes far too much sense for the NRL to consider it.

That is fine for people who have internet and at the level and quality capable of, but not everyone does and your cutting out a large market from access, you still need to provide other media streams to the fan base. I have nothing against internet streaming infact I was planning to use it kayo myself for the season, but thats cause I'm fortunate to have access to reliable internet, not everyone does.

As for channel 9 **** them, let one of the the other major free to air channels pick up the rights. NRL has to grow some balls here and not bend over here like channel 9's bitch.

Last edited:
Sell a package to the other FTA, non exclusive and market it hard to Disney, or Kayo can pay more (aka Foxtel) or Netflix.

**** Channel 9. I'm sure they're just being dicks to try to get a renegotiated lower priced deal so call their bluff.

Last edited:
And as I type this, Nine have got Hack Hadley on A Current Affair to play attack dog lol they really are one of the most shamelessly arrogant companies in the country.

Fox cutting their losses with Soccer and Rugby Union, effectively dooming those two codes, and applying 100% of their attention to League and AFL is not the craziest theory in the world. Those fanbases will find another sport to watch (probably NRL or AFL) and Fox know this. They lose virtually nothing by sending those dying codes to an earlier grave than expected and consolidating their business around the two biggest sports in uncertain times. It's the natural fallback position.

Weren't people on the attack against the NRL a while back for gross mismanagement, hoping they went broke and dissolved to start again? Isn't Nine just calling them out on this?

Weren't people on the attack against the NRL a while back for gross mismanagement, hoping they went broke and dissolved to start again? Isn't Nine just calling them out on this?
Yeah, it seems like another indictment on how poorly the game is run if they didn't even consult their major stakeholder. Shoot at 9 all you like but it's piss poor management, again, by the NRL.

Last edited:
Time to give rights back to Channel 10.

Seems obvious to me that if someone is giving me a billion dollars then I include them in talks. Why wouldn’t Fox and Nine be involved in Apollo?

Wouldn’t you be having the discussion around the different plans and if Nine and Fox can telecast from there or that date?

Seems obvious to me that if someone is giving me a billion dollars then I include them in talks. Why wouldn’t Fox and Nine be involved in Apollo?

Wouldn’t you be having the discussion around the different plans and if Nine and Fox can telecast from there or that date?

Probably because this is a highly unusual situation that needed to be handled confidentially. The more people at the table the less likely it is to remain that way.

Probably because this is a highly unusual situation that needed to be handled confidentially. The more people at the table the less likely it is to remain that way.

Sounds like my work everyday.

On another note, I’m suspecting that the more we’re hoping things change in the admin side of things and getting rid of 9, the more they will stay the same unfortunately.

Why? For all we know, this wasn't even meant to have been discussed outside of HQ. We don't know the NRL's reasoning.

Perhaps, the new guy has taken a step back, and looked at how many times 9 has attempted to shit all over the game, at any opportunity it gets, and thought "**** them".

Last edited:
Why? For all we know, this wasn't even meant to have been discussed outside of HQ. We don't know the NRL's reasoning.

Perhaps, the new guy has taken a step back, and looked at how many times 9 has attempted to shit all over the game, at any opportunity it gets, and thought "**** them".
It wouldn't matter who the broadcaster was, they would need to be involved in the discussions.

Let's hypothesise for a moment that the NRL picked a date and for whatever reason the broadcaster couldn't cover it (highly unlikely sure) - what would be the point of the game returning? No eyes, no interest. It really is idiotic to not consider this.

It's amazing to me people's response to this is **** ch9, give it to someone else? like Channel 10 would be fine with the NRL telling them how to run their channel? rocks in your head.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Lozza
  • lynx000
  • sooticus
  • FACTHUNT
  • Astro
  • broncos4life
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Thelmus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.