Nines / Trial Games

Latrell has had 3 (that’s perhaps generous) touches all game. The only time I’ve seen him in frame in the second half he has laid dog shoulders into defenceless players on the ground already tackled. I’m still in disbelief some people wanted him here.

also goes to show the importance of having a good #1 who goes looking for work... I hope we find ours. I don’t think either bird or Isaako is the answer.... maybe staggs needs a run there?

I thought Bird looked for work well in terrible conditions and coming back from a serious injury. Easily outplayed Isaako and showed a fair bit of potential once match fit.

I thought Bird looked for work well in terrible conditions and coming back from a serious injury. Easily outplayed Isaako and showed a fair bit of potential once match fit.

There really is no comparison. Bird is a premiership winner and origin player. Isaako is a one hit wonder. If these two are our fullback options then It’s bird every day of the week if he’s fit and healthy.

isaako is a prime example as to why you don’t give out longish contracts to a one year performance. Bird all day for fb, he’s got all the skills, it just depends on the engine and he’s looking fit so far.

Coates is nowhere near first grade, definitely needs to develop his game in the lower grades. His defence is woeful. I would even prefer isaako back there. I know his defence is suspect too, but at least he brings goal kicking to the table.

Herbie and arthurs were good. They took the hard hit ups too. I wonder if either of them could swap to the right wing.

No mention on here (from what I can see), but I thought Tesi showed in that second half why he has big wraps on him.

He just looks likely. Once he gets some more experience playing against men in ISC and then gets his opportunity to find his feet in the NRL, I think he could be a very damaging ball runner.

Other than that, I thought Bird looked good for his first hit out at fullback in a long time and after a long layoff, whilst I was super impressed with Arthars also. Having the danger of a good hole runner with speed and good movement at left centre will provide more room for Kotoni on the right.

Thought Milf and Croft worked well together. They played with a little more depth than what I’ve seen over the last decade or so too, which has been a massive bugbear of mine. Milf looks in far better shape and looks to appreciate having someone else to share the work. Early days, but Croft looks like he could be a good foil for Milf while Dearden gets a bit bigger and more experienced.

Most of the forwards were good or better than good too. Thought Carrigan went looking for lots of work and was impressed with Bullemor’s support play and speed for the Milf try. Thought Ofahengaue was the best bench forward but quite a way.

Only player likely to play NRL in 2020 that was maybe a little uninspiring, IMO anyway, was Coates (we’ve all seen what he can do and now he looks to have filled out a bit, so give him time to develop like Tesi and I think he can be a star), whilst I thought Isaako was pretty poor in general and Glenn was relatively quiet.

But really, it was a very heavy track, the second half was a drop-athon and plenty of penalties stifled any rhythm.

It was a trial, so no injuries and some positive signs is all we can really ask for.

then he'll fit in well at Souths
Seen Roberts slap ponga in the back of the head after play had finished. Souffs will be by far the grubbiest team this year, and I have no doubt they'll get away with it..

Seen Roberts slap ponga in the back of the head after play had finished. Souffs will be by far the grubbiest team this year, and I have no doubt they'll get away with it..

it’s kind of a shame Burgess has gone. Would’ve made for some entertainment to see the team in fights every weekend. Guaranteed if he and the worse twin was still there

Saw a few minutes of roberts playing in the all star game. He was either bored out of his brains or limping. First game of season and his attitude stinks already.

I'm going to keep this simple and group the players as there is not much that hasn't been said already.

Players who improved their chances (by performing to the high standard they always set) or played above expectations:
Bird, Arthurs, croft, carrigan, ofa, hopoate, niu, Turpin, haas, bullemore, tpj

Players who did no harm but didn't increase their chances/play above expectation:
Farnworth, Staggs, milf, dearden, paix, flegler, Kennedy

Players who hurt their chances or played below expectations:
Isaako( although he wasn't terrible, he looked like a back up fullback), Coates (what a shocker and isaako may keep his wing spot on goalkicking alone based on Coates and the next person's performances), kennar, Glenn (just quiet but he's experienced enough to just use it to warm up for the season).

I may have missed a few.

Regards to the cowboys. Holmes, holy crap everyone get ready for the hype train haha wow it is going to get tiring... And taumololo, is their engine, and I mean that literally. If the cowboys are a car, they would be at the wreckers without him. They won after he went off but cows vs broncos games are different, their season would absolutely derail with lolo despite some other good talent in the pack. Molo has come good! Hess is not included in that of course, he is a pea heart when he has to run at forwards instead of backs like in the 9's.

Last edited:
I think we are reading way too much into this trial. Whilst bird was good, I didnt think Isaako did a whole lot wrong. It's just that the game deteriated a lot in that second half with plenty of mistakes and penalties.
I'd have like to see Isaak ball play but neither of them had any opportunities to do so.
Siebold will make his call by the third game. I hope bird will play a little lock, then transition to fullback in the second half. It will give Isaako a chance to show if he can ball play from fullback, and demonstrate if bird has the ticker to last 80 as a fullback (something you can't tell from a half).
As for the others, if Turpin is to play 60 minutes, play him with macca spelling him at the end. Boyd plays 80 at centre with whoever is competing for the other spot spelled in halves.
Offa to me looks like our starting prop replacement, with carrigan at lock. Tpj, flegler and bullimore are our other bench players at this stage.
Arthur's, staggs, farnsworth and Isaako are still in the hunt for that starting 17. I
think coates has played himself out. Kennedy and hopoate can still push for bench spots with a good showing but I doubt theyll get it without an injury.
Our outside defence is still a worry but with the rain and the chopping you can't read too much into it.
To me it looks like wing, fullback and centre spots are up for grabs with everything else settled. If bird can last 80 minutes, he has the fullback spot but that's a big IF. Boyd has one spot and staggs looked good for the other until Arthurs showed what he can do.
Who plays wing with Oates is anyone's bet, but I'd love to see us play farnsworth (I miss those glory days of sailor and lote taquiri eating those meters at the back). I reckon two big wingers could really allow us some go forward.

I think we are reading way too much into this trial. Whilst bird was good, I didnt think Isaako did a whole lot wrong. It's just that the game deteriated a lot in that second half with plenty of mistakes and penalties.
I'd have like to see Isaak ball play but neither of them had any opportunities to do so.
Siebold will make his call by the third game. I hope bird will play a little lock, then transition to fullback in the second half. It will give Isaako a chance to show if he can ball play from fullback, and demonstrate if bird has the ticker to last 80 as a fullback (something you can't tell from a half).
As for the others, if Turpin is to play 60 minutes, play him with macca spelling him at the end. Boyd plays 80 at centre with whoever is competing for the other spot spelled in halves.
Offa to me looks like our starting prop replacement, with carrigan at lock. Tpj, flegler and bullimore are our other bench players at this stage.
Arthur's, staggs, farnsworth and Isaako are still in the hunt for that starting 17. I
think coates has played himself out. Kennedy and hopoate can still push for bench spots with a good showing but I doubt theyll get it without an injury.
Our outside defence is still a worry but with the rain and the chopping you can't read too much into it.
To me it looks like wing, fullback and centre spots are up for grabs with everything else settled. If bird can last 80 minutes, he has the fullback spot but that's a big IF. Boyd has one spot and staggs looked good for the other until Arthurs showed what he can do.
Who plays wing with Oates is anyone's bet, but I'd love to see us play farnsworth (I miss those glory days of sailor and lote taquiri eating those meters at the back). I reckon two big wingers could really allow us some go forward.
Really good analysis although I differ on one thing, maybe 2. Farnworth was good tonight and I'd like him in the side too but I think what seibold is doing is right, he's making the wingers and centres stick to one side. Farnworth is a left winger (oates' side). Our edge defence is too soft to have wingers or centres swapping sides at the moment.
Also, I like what I saw from bullemore in that he didn't look out of place but I don't think he edge's past Kennedy on that performance. Kennedy isnt great but he is severely underrated on this forum. Gets to his front with quick ptb, solid defence, late footwork and a big body with a decent motor. He will be 17-19th player throughout the season pending injuries, and deservedly so. Bullemore will over take him, but give it half a season I think.

"Boyd plays 80 at centre .... " Probably but why. I was excited watching Arthers play. I can't remember the last time I was excited watching Boyd play. It was also good not to see arm waving, I reckon Staggs and Arthers made a really strong argument for our centre pairing. Also Carrigan is a star. So impressive, our best lock by a mile.

I noticed Flegler do the old forearm to throat pushup that should be binnable.
The same one that every single player does every single tackle? So did I...

I do agree it should be binnable though, it's a shit act. But good luck, you'd have 2 vs 2 by the end of every game.

Roberts is a grub who sooks after things go against him. The fact he hasn't learnt after what he did to oates speaks volumes for his character, and shows how good Bennett is at teaching players life lessons in my eyes. Constantly telling players how special they are and that it's not fair how they are treated (which from Roberts attitude on and off the field, appears to be the way he's been taught) will not bode well for them post footy.

Last edited:
He is a bit of a hothead and does have that in his game.
The same one that every single player does every single tackle? So did I...

I do agree it should be binnable though, it's a shit act. But good luck, you'd have 2 vs 2 by the end of every game.
Yep, I don't think it's necessarily a hothead thing. It's more of a old school Rugby League dominance thing that's always been a bad look for the game, along with the face massage. Needs to be completely wiped out of the game.

I'd be happy to see it sent to the judiciary even if it's just for a few points and being outed as an on-field fuckwit. That'd put a lid on it quicksmart.

Last edited:
Do you guys know that Boyd will take a centre spot and Macca will be starting 9, no matter what..

Active Now

• Santa
  • Harry Sack
  • Sproj
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncosgirl
  • Wolfie
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Browny
  • Jazza
  • NSW stables
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Foordy
  • Mustafur
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  • cento
  • BroncosAlways
  • Broncorob
  • Big Del
  • Locky's Left Boot
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.