Nines / Trial Games

I reckon for all our talents like Haas, Fifita and Flagler, it’s counter balanced by some quite mediocre players, especially in the halves and backs.

Dearden hasn't even turned 19 quite yet. Most halves don't start to show what they really have until they are in the early 20s. He could develop into a gun, or he might be one of the many, many failures. It's all going to be guesswork for at least a couple more years yet IMO

Last edited:
that shows his INEXPERIENCE ... not that he isn't a first grade half.

absolutely agree ...
Sorry perhaps I should have been clearer. He's not a first grade half yet (despite some of the people on here suggesting to the contrary).

Compare his work to Croft. He's not in the same post code.

I like the high energy genuine competitors. Carrigan, Croft, Bird, Turpin and Arthars showed that attribute. Honourable mention to Herbie too. Coates is a way off yet, no doubt. I honestly think it’s time to look to the future and leave Boyd and Macca out. Turps played pretty big minutes in hard conditions and seemed to be everywhere, so some tough decisions to be made.

And that boys is why Dearden ain’t a first grade half. That stupid kick and then couldn’t organise the next set.
Completely disagree. That was exactly the kind of play that Alfie Langer would try to pull off - and he failed 9/10. Flegler dropped the next set cold. The ball was wet. He was buggered. The kind of thing Webke and Petero would do twice a game. That said, not entirely convinced by Flegler either.

These are trial games. They are all about giving players some game time to get rid of any rust and testing out combinations etc.

We have never been a wet weather footy side, not since the years where we had the likes of Webcke and Petero leading the way with Lockyer forming a game plan to grind down the other side.

You can’t read too much into trials.

Sorry perhaps I should have been clearer. He's not a first grade half yet (despite some of the people on here suggesting to the contrary).

Compare his work to Croft. He's not in the same post code.

Croft's work shows exactly what happens when you're mentored by a guy like Cooper Cronk.

besides I don't think anyone has even suggested that Dearden start over Croft in 2020.

having a player with the talent of Dearden nipping on the heels of our halves can only be a good thing ... not to mention, good coverage in the case of injury

Last edited:
I don't think there's any need to write Dearden off. Sure it didn't look as organised in the second half but he had to organise players that had been running around in the slop for 40 minutes already as well as the second stringers that came on.

All of our front liners who played had good games. Flegs played long minutes, did he come off at all once put on? I think him and Offa were good and vety consistent considering the conditions.

Haas, Croft, Milford, Turps, Pangai, Carrigan, Arthurs, Farnworth and Bullemore also were good.

Bullemore will be in our 17 with Lodge out. Question will be who makes way for Lodge? I think due to Bird, Glen and Arthurs versatility we could see a 4 forward bench. Especially considering our forward momentum stop when Turpin was rested. And fired back up when he returned.

Based on what I saw

1 - Bird
2 - Oates
3- Arthurs
4 - Staggs
5 - Farnworth
6 - Milford
7 - Croft
8 - Pangai
9 - Turpin
10 - Haas
11 - Fifita
12 - Glenn
13 - Carrigan

14 - Bullemore
15 - Offahengaue
16 - Flegs
17 - ????????

Its going to be the Titans game that earns the players their spots for round 1. Very difficult to judge these blokes in games against reserve grade players from the Capras and the Cowboys. All i can really take from our two trials against those teams is we have a fair few players who did their jobs well and thats all we can ask for now.

If Macca’s form is good then I’d have no problem with him spelling Turpin off the bench. As long as it’s made clear that this is his role and he won’t be starting.

All of our front liners who played had good games. Flegs played long minutes, did he come off at all once put on? I think him and Offa were good and vety consistent considering the conditions.

Haas, Croft, Milford, Turps, Pangai, Carrigan, Arthurs, Farnworth and Bullemore also were good.

Bullemore will be in our 17 with Lodge out. Question will be who makes way for Lodge? I think due to Bird, Glen and Arthurs versatility we could see a 4 forward bench. Especially considering our forward momentum stop when Turpin was rested. And fired back up when he returned.

Based on what I saw

1 - Bird
2 - Oates
3- Arthurs
4 - Staggs
5 - Farnworth
6 - Milford
7 - Croft
8 - Pangai
9 - Turpin
10 - Haas
11 - Fifita
12 - Glenn
13 - Carrigan

14 - Bullemore
15 - Offahengaue
16 - Flegs
17 - ????????

17 will be Boyd. They have to stick him in somewhere.

If Macca’s form is good then I’d have no problem with him spelling Turpin off the bench. As long as it’s made clear that this is his role and he won’t be starting.
So you're worried Macca might try to sneak onto the field when he's named at 14?

Latrell has had 3 (that’s perhaps generous) touches all game. The only time I’ve seen him in frame in the second half he has laid dog shoulders into defenceless players on the ground already tackled. I’m still in disbelief some people wanted him here.

also goes to show the importance of having a good #1 who goes looking for work... I hope we find ours. I don’t think either bird or Isaako is the answer.... maybe staggs needs a run there?

Last edited:

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Lurker
  • Xzei
  • Broncorob
  • Broncosarethebest
  • The Don
  • Jazza
  • broncs30
  • Santa
  • ezpz
  • Justwin
  • Spoon
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Allo
  • Dash
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Painin the Haas
  • BooKhaki
  • bazza
  • levikaden
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.