#NoGreen

Ah so it wasn't played on the weekend? and players got to play in the BRL as their full time job? My bad.
Players from the early 80s in Brisbane
Wally Lewis
Mal Meninga
Gary Belcher
Gene Miles
Peter Jackson
Wally Fullerton Smith
Tony Currie
Greg Cornescue
Colin Scott
Bob Lindner

You may recognize some of those names
And the list goes on.
Can you dribble any more shit.. jog on young fella

B

Last edited:
Ah so it wasn't played on the weekend? and players got to play in the BRL as their full time job? My bad.
I think you'd find that a lot of players in the nswrl also played on the weekend AND had day jobs. Shit I'm sure I remember a player being a garbo & he reckoned it was good training, iirc Tommy radonikis was a brickies labourer, but could be wrong

Players from the early 80s in Brisbane
Wally Lewis
Mal Meninga
Gary Belcher
Gene Miles
Peter Jackson
Wally Fullerton Smith
Tony Currie
Greg Cornescue
Colin Scott
Bob Lindner

You may recognize some of those names
And the list goes on.
Can you dribble any more shit.. jog on young fella

B

You listed a bunch of good players. Doesn't mean it wasn't an amateur competion? You do understand what amatuer sports and professional sports means right bud?

BRL was probably the 2nd best competion in the world, but it was still amatuer.

Last edited:
You listed a bunch of good players. Doesn't mean it wasn't an amateur
competion? You do understand what amatuer sports and professional sports means right bud?

All those players were getting payed and well. Money for services rendered would mean professional right.
Nearly all Sydney players were also working as well yaidgit

My personal experience in 1984 85 86 my take home was around 14 k my football earnings was between 8 and 10 k. So there is that

Last edited:
All those players were getting payed and well. Money for services rendered would mean professional right.

My personal experience in 1984 85 86 my take home was around 14 k my football earnings was between 8 and 10 k. So there is that

Today I learned that BRL was a professional sport.

Surely we can come up with a better example than something from 1982? I've got no gripes against the BRL but wouldn't that suggest Wayne was the exception rather than the rule?

Bennett also took a year off and then returned to Souths where he took them to a grand final in his last stint with the club.

I don't buy into the 'it was JT and JT alone that took the Cowboys to a premiership' in 2015 rhetoric, but I don't think there was any other player in the competition who could have conjured up that Round 4 2015 win against the Storm. That was a huge turning point for the Cowboys and I'd dare say if they didn't win that game then Paul Green would have been out of a job by the end of the season. That was the making of the Cowboys and the moment they knew they could play to the final whistle and walk out on top.

I'd be curious to see if there's anything to that premiership retention theory and how clubs like Sydney, Melbourne etc. handled it.

Last edited:
Surely we can come up with a better example than something from 1982? I've got no gripes against the BRL but wouldn't that suggest Wayne was the exception rather than the rule?

Bennett also took a year off and then returned to Souths where he took them to a grand final in his last stint with the club.
Ricky Stuart. Premierships then his parra and cronulla years and now achieving at Canberra

Ricky Stuart. Premierships then his parra and cronulla years and now achieving at Canberra

Yeah I think that's about as close as it's going to get and I don't think fans want to deal with years like 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2018 to get a hint of success.

I think you'd find that a lot of players in the nswrl also played on the weekend AND had day jobs. Shit I'm sure I remember a player being a garbo & he reckoned it was good training, iirc Tommy radonikis was a brickies labourer, but could be wrong
Haha yeah. A lot of players in Brisbane as well were garbos.
That's because it was all manual and they had to jump the fences carrying big tin bins . That was considered a great job to help with fitness...
not to mention early start early finish and hit the pub on nin training days

Yeah I think that's about as close as it's going to get and I don't think fans want to deal with years like 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2018 to get a hint of success.
Not me that's for sure.
The problem we have is going to Kev with no proven NRL success or Green with his recent record .
Either way is a risk and I don't see a lot of other options, at least obviously better options.

Ricky Stuart took over a Parramatta team that came last the previous season. He knew the roster was no good and drew up a list of players he wanted to move on. But before he could complete the job he decided to quit and go to Canberra. I'm just not sure I would call years in Parramatta completely his own doing he was only there for one season. He has had some bad years in Canberra though which he can't escape.

Not me that's for sure.
The problem we have is going to Kev with no proven NRL success or Green with his recent record .
Either way is a risk and I don't see a lot of other options, at least obviously better options.

The Broncos certainly can't afford to be pretentious, but Green needs to consider the situation. If he's brought in here, it's only because of the success he had in 2014-17 and the Broncos 2021 squad is no where near as good as that era of Cowboys.

I'm not sold on anyone, I just think the optics are better for Kevie in the short term while management sorts itself out.

The Broncos certainly can't afford to be pretentious, but Green needs to consider the situation. If he's brought in here, it's only because of the success he had in 2014-17 and the Broncos 2021 squad is no where near as good as that era of Cowboys.

I'm not sold on anyone, I just think the optics are better for Kevie in the short term while management sorts itself out.
I'm with you on Kev and have been from before Seibold.
I just wont lose any sleep if Green gets the job as I think he will adapt.

Paid. Payed?

You listed a bunch of good players. Doesn't mean it wasn't an amateur competion? You do understand what amatuer sports and professional sports means right bud?

So was nearly every Australian sport, all Sydney guys had jobs too and every cricketer.

Last edited:

No doubt ably assisted by the Broncos Old Boys

So was nearly every Australian sport, all Sydney guys had jobs too and every cricketer.

No shit. Coaching and team management was a world of difference to today across all sports, but thats just me being nitpicky apparantly.

Some of the boys in this thread were right. Green is too close to his failures and needs time away from the game to see where he went horribly wrong. At least Kevvie has done some assistance work at Storm/Broncos since his time at Catalans.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Astro
  • OnToSomething
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Pablo
  • heartly87
  • Sproj
  • Griffo
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.