#NoGreen

The reality is very good coaches across eras have bad patches.
They become better coaches by learning from mistakes .
Based on your logic Seibold was a 100 % chance of making the finals this year.
Kevvie is no chance having not coached

Last edited:
Still yet to see a 'great coach' miss the finals 3 years in a row. Especially in a system where half the teams qualify.

Let's get in Tim Sheens.. he's just having a rough patch, but he's a premiership winner.

Last edited:
That's because you are under 25

Another dumb take. This isn't the age of ciggies at half time. It's a results business and Paul Green's recent results are just pathetic.

Last edited:
Still yet to see a 'great coach' miss the finals 3 years in a row. Especially in a system where half the teams qualify.

Let's get in Tim Sheens.. he's just having a rough patch, but he's a premiership winner.

Bennett 81, 82 and 83.
Gibson 85, 86 and 87

Last edited:
True though

The only truth is that Paul Green hasn't seen finals football since 2017 in a team he had control of. In a sport where half the teams qualify for the finals. He has a 52% win rate. That's not great. Cowboy fans were glad to see the back of him, but thankful he was able to steer Henry's team to a premiership.

Jack Gibson 85 86 87

I don't think the game has passed Green by, but he needs to take an extended break from club football to get a better lay of the land. I don't think it'd be wise of him to depart the Cowboys only to come to the Broncos. There is nothing to suggest he knows how to fix a struggling team, he certainly didn't at the Cowboys.

Jack Gibson 85 86 87

And that was the end of his coaching career at club level.

I suppose that depends on whether you consider Ricky Stuart a good coach

his Sharks stint between 2007-2010 he missed the finals 3 times

he then missed the finals in 2013 (Eels), 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 ... before making a GF in 2019 and is currently top 4 in 2020

I don't think the game has passed Green

It might just be possible that after his massive success he got stuck in his ways, or really unlucky.

It's hard to pick when good on field generals like Smith/Thurston might actually make coaches seem better than they actually are. For example Mal Meniga.

I suppose that depends on whether you consider Ricky Stuart a good coach

I think Ricky Stuart has learned and Canberra have benefited from sticking with him. I'd consider him a middling coach. It has not been an easy journey for Canberra.

Last edited:
It might just be possible that after his massive success he got stuck in his ways, or really unlucky.

It's hard to pick when good on field generals like Smith/Thurston might actually make coaches seem better than they actually are. For example Mal Meniga.

I think Ricky Stuart has learned and Canberra have benefited from sticking with him. I'd consider him a middling coach.

I just think he fell into the same trap as Madge. Instead of having an eye towards the future, he fell in love with his premiership roster and made some really poor choices with his recruitment and retention.

Last edited:
Yeah I think I’m starting to lean even more towards Hook but I’d feel so bad for Kevvie.

Well this is a bit awkward, isn’t it...
EE1E13FD 494A 4C0C A7DD B764C82D22B8

Well this is a bit awkward, isn’t it... View attachment 9705

Especially in a system where half the teams qualify

None of those coaches listed had those teams had built those teams either. So Green both built his team for years prior, and participated in a system where it was easier to make the finals.

Once a great coach has established his team, he's established. He might miss a finals because of circumstances, but not 3 in a row of a team he built. Not ever. More than likely that coach was carried by his team and on field leadership more than anything.

The Wayne Bennett example is with two different teams as well??? and it looked like Gibson was done after those 3 years. So..yeah..

Last edited:

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.