#NoGreen

I'm happy to give Kevin Walters are shot it. The two jobs that Walters got by-passed Tigers (Mick Potter) and Broncos (Anthony Seibold) didn't panned out for either respective clubs. And the Walters baggers are not coming up with answers and lingering with "but, but, but, Kevie's not the answer".

I just wouldn't feel comfortable hiring Paul Green after 3 straight years of non-finals appearances. The goodwill of the late run of their trip to 2017 Grand final has worn off. It is what is which was a successful late season rally and some standout play by some individuals (Taumalolo and Morgan) that they went to the 2017 Grand final. But like the Parramatta Eels of 2009 and the Warriors of 2011 they couldn't build on it.

I'm happy to acknowledge he has a won a Grand Final though. Which is why he will find another coaching job.
It was far more than just individual play from 2 players though. Green had some really good patterns working particularly on big blinds. The structures worked very well and Morgan carried them out brilliantly in place of Thurston.
His problem was, IMO, he did not change up from 2017 which was a fault no doubt. Everything became predictable and he had no plan B.
If he gets the Broncos job he will have to adapt but I think he is capable.

This may be me just being selective with datasets, but didnt he leave his team in a big pile of steaming shit comparable with current Broncos this year in a team that he built?

I'm pretty sure he said he'd thrown his hat into the ring.

he did say this on Big Sport Breakfast

“I haven’t (heard anything). Maybe they’ve lost my number,” he laughed.

“That can happen you know. It’s like when an old girlfriend loses your number.”
Cheers @Foordy
Classic Walters, gotta love this guy

I'm pretty sure he said he'd thrown his hat into the ring.

he did say this on Big Sport Breakfast

“I haven’t (heard anything). Maybe they’ve lost my number,” he laughed.

“That can happen you know. It’s like when an old girlfriend loses your number.”
No he didn't throw his hat in the ring. He said that if they wanted him they needed to come to him. It was said at the time he would not take part in another interview process as he was the coach of QLD and if they wanted his services they need to approach him with an offer. I think this was to stop tarnishing his image. He deserved more respect then then he got here last time and I think the Broncos should be calling him today if they have not already. He has a desire to coach in the NRL and if he get passed up again due to an interview it could really damage his standing in the game.

Seems to me that culture is an enormous ingredient to success in a club.
Siebold had a PhD in destroying the culture around he.
I ask myself, what can Green bring to the club to mend the culture that was second to none and the honest answer is SFA
If culture is the amongst the first of the rebuilding blocks to be put in place then the question of who should be our next coach is obvious, regardless of the on field results for the next couple of seasons because the mountain we need to climb is Everest.
Thanks for that Anthony.

This may be me just being selective with datasets, but didnt he leave his team in a big pile of steaming shit comparable with current Broncos this year in a team that he built?
Yes it is.

Wayne Bennett stunk it up at Newcastle and left their roster in a steaming pile of shit when he left.
Ricky Stuart had some awful years at Cronulla and Parra
Des Hasler left Canterbury in a massive hole and guaranteed losing for years
Brad Arthur has had multiple losing years at Parra
Tim Sheens was bad during his Cowboys stint
Even Jack Gibson had a horror run at Cronulla from 85 to 87

3 of that list coached Australia 4 at Origin level 2 are the greatest coaches of all time. None of them could get ordinary rosters to play well and some overstayed their welcome.
Even Trent Robinson coached the roosters to 15th place with that roster in 2016.

Your argument about Paul Green is based on a narrow POV. You have just decided the guy can't coach with no particular logic except his last 3 years. All of the above coaches have had lean runs and/or left clubs in bad shape but that didn't make them bad coaches or incapable of doing well at another time in their career.

Seems to me that culture is an enormous ingredient to success in a club.
Siebold had a PhD in destroying the culture around he.
I ask myself, what can Green bring to the club to mend the culture that was second to none and the honest answer is SFA
If culture is the amongst the first of the rebuilding blocks to be put in place then the question of who should be our next coach is obvious, regardless of the on field results for the next couple of seasons because the mountain we need to climb is Everest.
Thanks for that Anthony.
What did Paul Green do to the cowboys culture?? From what I can see it's pretty good and the younger players are coming through.
He just overstayed his welcome and became stale. It happens.

Wayne Bennett stunk it up at Newcastle and left their roster in a steaming pile of shit when he left.

Wayne Bennett would never even get close to Paul Greens level of sustained failure.

Get out of here with that shit.

Last edited:
What did Paul Green do to the cowboys culture?? From what I can see it's pretty good and the younger players are coming through.
He just overstayed his welcome and became stale. It happens.

He took over a team that was consistantly making finals. He continued the trend until the good players left, and then he was found wanting as a coach.

It just happens.. sometimes the game just passes certain coaches. It happened to Tim Sheens, and it's happened to Green.

Last edited:
Wayne Bennett would never even get close to Paul Greens level of sustained failure.

Get out of here with that shit.
Great argument. As I thought no substance.
Wayne shat the bed and left Newie in dire straights.

Last edited:
He took over a team that was consistantly making finals. He continued the trend until the good players left, and then he was found wanting as a coach.

It just happens.. sometimes the game just passes certain coaches. It happened to Tim Sheens, and it's happened to Green.
What has that got to do with culture????

Great argument. As I thought no substance.
Wayne shat the bed and left Newie in dire straights.

Wayne barely touched Newcastle, there was so much Tinkler schenanigans in that. It's a complete outlier in Wayne's resume. He's played finals football in almost every season. He's missed less finals in a much longer career than Green. So **** off with comparing a bad season of Wayne to Green's 3 seasons of spoon contention. Wayne never took a championship team and ran it into the gorund.

Oh those coaches you listed, Tim Sheens was most like Green. He won premierships, but the game just passed him. Like Green, he took premiership teams and ran them into the ground.

Canberra have been very patient with Ricky, and he's been close to the chopping block a few times. He's built a solid team, but Brisbane will not be as patient with Green.

Brad never took a championship team and ran it into the ground.

Culture can't be created just by a single person. Walters may be terrible because he is trying to create something that no longer exists, the way to build culture is to recruit individuals with character and let their example create the culture within the team. A coach is there to put the right people into the team and remove the cancer, he alone can not be the cultural hub of the team, but he has to subscribe to the pervading culture to give it authority. More needs to be put on these young $1 million players to step up and be professional, not just cut a check and blow it on blow and griffins.

Wayne barely touched Newcastle, there was so much Tinkler schenanigans in that. It's a complete outlier in Wayne's resume. He's played finals football in almost every season. He's missed less finals in a much longer career than Green. So **** off with comparing a bad season of Wayne to Green's 3 seasons of spoon contention. Wayne never took a championship team and ran it into the gorund.

Oh those coaches you listed, Tim Sheens was most like Green. He won premierships, but the game just passed him. Like Green, he took premiership teams and ran them into the ground.

Canberra have been very patient with Ricky, and he's been close to the chopping block a few times. He's built a solid team, but Brisbane will not be as patient with Green.

Brad never took a championship team and ran it into the ground.
Statistical outliers and excuses but no logical argument. You're caught up in your own bullshit so **** off with that shit and keep to the point.

Wayne had 3 years at Newie and when things turned to shit he bolted a year early and they are still working their way through what was left behind. That is a fact.
You are judging Green on 3 years you have selected and labeled a trend and ignore the successful years.
The point is good coaches can have bad years, even legendary coaches can have bad years. They don't forget how to coach, they are capable of evolving and learning from their mistakes and those guys are the ones who go on and become the best coaches.

Statistical outliers and excuses but no logical argument. You're caught up in your own bullshit so **** off with that shit and keep to the point.

Wayne had 3 years at Newie and when things turned to shit he bolted a year early and they are still working their way through what was left behind. That is a fact.
You are judging Green on 3 years you have selected and labeled a trend and ignore the successful years.
The point is good coaches can have bad years, even legendary coaches can have bad years. They don't forget how to coach, they are capable of evolving and learning from their mistakes and those guys are the ones who go on and become the best coaches.

It's not just a trend ya munchkin, it's a current trend that has lasted 3 years and I imagine he was sacked because the board and fans could see it going on another year.

Good coaches don't miss finals 3 years in a row with teams they built. Hell by your logic Tim Sheen would be a GREAT pick up as a coach, but that multi premiership winning coach is in 2nd tier english league because the game has passed him by.

By all analysis it's wishful thinking that Green could turn things around, it looks like the game has passed him by or he lucked out on his 14-17 team.

By your logic Blockbuster shares are looking pretty awesome.

That said, if Green applied for the job in '18 I'd be super keen....but he only has a 57% success rate of making the finals and that is woefully inadquete considering he inheritated a team that had made the finals 3 years in a row before he joined.

Last edited:
It's not just a trend ya munchkin, it's a current trend that has lasted 3 years and I imagine he was sacked because the board and fans could see it going on another year.

Good coaches don't miss finals 3 years in a row with teams they built. Hell by your logic Tim Sheen would be a GREAT pick up as a coach, but that multi premiership winning coach is in 2nd tier english league because the game has passed him by.

By all analysis it's wishful thinking that Green could turn things around, it looks like the game has passed him by or he lucked out on his 14-17 team.

By your logic Blockbuster shares are looking pretty awesome.
Blockbuster shares name calling great logic.

Last edited:
The reality is that mediocre coaches can win premierships with good talent and luck, or good coaches can just not keep up with game tactics.

I'm not sure which best describes Green.

Either way based on his record you have close to 60/40 chance of making the finals which is not good.

Last edited:

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • broncos4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.