VOTE Now that the Broncos are out, who are you backing to win the 2021 premiership?

Now that the Broncos are out, who are you backing to win the 2021 premiership?

• Total voters
Just reading above, Melbourne definitely got more than they lost through their systematic cheating, they were able to retain 3 of the very elite players (2 of them in Slater and Smith will each go down as one of the very best in their respective positions, if not the best).

Without the salary cap cheating I don't think they keep that trio together and if you take just one of those players out of that team it certainly changes things quite a bit. They should have been made to start from scratch, Bellamy is a great coach and he knows he can build a team around 2-3 genuine stars. He was able to keep those players at the club as a result of the blatant cheating of the cap. If they have a bad period in there after losing those key players is Bellamy still their coach? That obviously changes things a lot.

I'll never be convinced that the coach or the players didn't know (especially the players).
Cam Smith is on the record as saying in 2008 he was all but signed with the Broncos but “Barb told him to follow his heart” and he magically stayed at the Storm. So I’m saying, without the salary cap cheating Cam comes to Brisbane. (Which is probably why we let Ennis go.)

Cam Smith is on the record as saying in 2008 he was all but signed with the Broncos but “Barb told him to follow his heart” and he magically stayed at the Storm. So I’m saying, without the salary cap cheating Cam comes to Brisbane. (Which is probably why we let Ennis go.)
He definitely followed his heart

This sort of supports my point though.

He couldn’t get it done in 3 consecutive seasons (if three seasons with the best players NSW has to offer isn’t enough to sink his claws into, what is?) when he had an inferior team, but not a team of absolute nobodies (he had Hayne, Gasnier, Snake, the other Stewart, Bird, Buderus, Mason, Gallen etc., a lot of which where mainstays in the Australian team). The difference was, the great players he had at club land were on the other side of the field.

I’m not even remotely a Bennett fanboy like some, but look at what he did last year. A team that most considered to be the worst Origin team ever up against probably the second best Origin team ever compiled.

Unless Bellamy tests himself in a different environment, there should (will) be an asterisk against his coaching record. And that’s not including the actual asterisk against his coaching record.
I think its pretty clear that bennett is a better origin coach and bellamy is a better club coach.

As others have mentioned origin is more a motivational job then a tactical job. Also keep in mind that despite NSWs teams not being as 'bad' as qlds side last year the nsw play makers (namely pearce and whoever got to play second fiddle to his garbage) where certainly way further off the pace then the comparison qld had to nsw last year.

Munster is the best 5/8 in the game and DCE would have made all those nsw teams with his eyes closed. The only spine players you mentioned were stewart and hayne both cant play fullack and neither of them where ball playing fullbacks with even the same skill set as say kalyn ponga.

Also, lets be realistic about last year if qld dont illegally take out tedesco with a grubby play and fittler have a decent back on his bench and not move yeo to the centres nsw win last year pretty easily as well.

I said to a couple of blokes at work last week that Reynolds is going to win two consecutive premierships in two different jerseys in the next 13 months. They had a good chuckle.

I reminded them today that we are clearly still on track for this. Can't wait to get the bloke here and taking these kids to the next level.

I don't legitimately expect a premiership next year. I also don't expect Souths to take it this year. But I didn't expect them to beat the Riff sans Latrell either so you never know...
its going to be a big effort for anyone to stop melbourne going back to back.

In reality penrith are the most likely, but if parra somehow pull of a miracle i think thats curtains for the premiership.

I think its pretty clear that bennett is a better origin coach and bellamy is a better club coach.

As others have mentioned origin is more a motivational job then a tactical job. Also keep in mind that despite NSWs teams not being as 'bad' as qlds side last year the nsw play makers (namely pearce and whoever got to play second fiddle to his garbage) where certainly way further off the pace then the comparison qld had to nsw last year.

Munster is the best 5/8 in the game and DCE would have made all those nsw teams with his eyes closed. The only spine players you mentioned were stewart and hayne both cant play fullack and neither of them where ball playing fullbacks with even the same skill set as say kalyn ponga.

Also, lets be realistic about last year if qld dont illegally take out tedesco with a grubby play and fittler have a decent back on his bench and not move yeo to the centres nsw win last year pretty easily as well.
I don’t particularly feel like rebutting your points as not only have I already said how I feel, but there is no way either of us can prove anything, other than offer opinions.

But what I will do is reiterate that Bellamy had 3 years with the Blues. He wasn’t parachuted in at the last minute and asked to wave his super coach magic wand for one series.

The fact he couldn’t win a series in what is a relatively long time as an origin coach (Green has been given the flick (thankfully) after just one series with a far weaker squad) speaks volumes about his inability to win without his superstars and the processes (read: cheating tactics) that are ingrained in the Melbourne system.

Anyway, I’ve already said more than I wanted to, so don’t have anything further to add.

Anyone but Storm or Roosters, but if I'm going to pick a winner I want Souths to win as a big '**** you' to the board that fired Bennett in the most gutless way and earned us our first spoon.
Damn right!

I don't think its clear that Bellamy is a better club coach then Bennett. Imagine how much more successful we would have been if Wayne stayed with the Broncos instead of dragons/knights/souths.

While everyone keeps on harping on about Melbourne and roosters few wins over the last few years, we seem to have forgotten our 5 premierships in a 9 year period.

I don't think its clear that Bellamy is a better club coach then Bennett. Imagine how much more successful we would have been if Wayne stayed with the Broncos instead of dragons/knights/souths.

While everyone keeps on harping on about Melbourne and roosters few wins over the last few years, we seem to have forgotten our 5 premierships in a 9 year period.
Couldn't agree more, Bellamy should never be considered better than Wayne until he has won premierships at multiple clubs - and not just because Wayne did, but also he needs to win at a club that wasn't built by cheating

its going to be a big effort for anyone to stop melbourne going back to back.

In reality penrith are the most likely, but if parra somehow pull of a miracle i think thats curtains for the premiership.
I think Parra are the best chance of beating Melbourne. They’re far from the best team in the finals but I think they have the best chance of an upset specifically over Melbourne

thinking logically and the best GF from our POV would be Panthers vs Rabbitohs.

this way one of Reynolds or Capewell get the experience of winning a second premiership ... and both get the experience and confidence of playing in a second GF

thinking logically and the best GF from our POV would be Panthers vs Rabbitohs.

this way one of Reynolds or Capewell get the experience of winning a second premiership ... and both get the experience and confidence of playing in a second GF
I'm on board with that. Also means Storm and Roosters get knocked out which sounds doubly good to me.

From the remaining teams:

Rabbitohs
Tommy Turbo
Having my eyes gouged out
Eels if somehow Moses was out
Roosters
Global Apocalypse
Storm
Universal Apocalypse
Panthers

Yes, I would prefer the Storm win than the Panthers, due to their smug arrogance and the NRL's gifting them dominance.

From the remaining teams:

Rabbitohs
Tommy Turbo
Having my eyes gouged out
Eels if somehow Moses was out
Roosters
Global Apocalypse
Storm
Universal Apocalypse
Panthers

Yes, I would prefer the Storm win than the Panthers, due to their smug arrogance and the NRL's gifting them dominance.
Spot on

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Santa
  • Fitzy
  • Xzei
  • Splinter
  • broncoscope
  • Tim K
  • cento
  • Sproj
  • Rambstien
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Skathen
  • Porthoz
  • Harry Sack
  • Ozired
  • Behold
  • LittleDavey
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.