NRL 2019 Squads

Gold Coast Titans Train and Trial: Troy Leo, Dylan Phythian, Christian Hazard, John Palavi, Jacob Hind, Ioane Seiuli, Kai O'Donnell, Ben Thomas, Treymain Spry.

Kurt Mann will be making the switch to hooker for the Knights.

Honestly, some of the decisions Brown makes baffle me. Mann to hooker, Ponga to the halves. I would have thought Mann would be playing alongside Pearce in the halves and Ponga would remain at fullback. Knights have options at hooker.

What does that mean for Slade Griffin when he returns from injury?

I would have thought Mann's best position would have been in the centres where he could use his skill-set more often and create space for his outside man. That's where he's played his best footy at the NRL level, so I find the experiment a little on the nose.

I presume it's the Shaun Berrigan school of thought where coaches view Kurt as a natural footballer who just needs to be somewhere in the 17. The difference is, Berrigan typically excelled in whatever position he was thrown in. He just couldn't master the position and usually within 2-3 years he'd have to look at a different role and the cycle would repeat. I do think it's an area Newcastle need to improve in, and I'm glad Brown is using his initiative.

As far as Griffin goes, I'd imagine it's just as much a matter of 'if' as 'when' in regards to that knee injury. He's had rotten luck and it's a real testament to his character that he's been able to win a premiership and represent his country. I'd imagine if he does come back, he'll spend some time in NSW Cup before working his way to a bench spot and playing that Kostjasyn role.

I would have thought Mann's best position would have been in the centres where he could use his skill-set more often and create space for his outside man. That's where he's played his best footy at the NRL level, so I find the experiment a little on the nose.

I presume it's the Shaun Berrigan school of thought where coaches view Kurt as a natural footballer who just needs to be somewhere in the 17. The difference is, Berrigan typically excelled in whatever position he was thrown in. He just couldn't master the position and usually within 2-3 years he'd have to look at a different role and the cycle would repeat. I do think it's an area Newcastle need to improve in, and I'm glad Brown is using his initiative.

As far as Griffin goes, I'd imagine it's just as much a matter of 'if' as 'when' in regards to that knee injury. He's had rotten luck and it's a real testament to his character that he's been able to win a premiership and represent his country. I'd imagine if he does come back, he'll spend some time in NSW Cup before working his way to a bench spot and playing that Kostjasyn role.

Wasn't Mann originally signed from the Storm by the Dragons on an embarassingly large deal? Even if the Dragons are paying some of it, he wouldn't have come cheap to the Knights, so maybe it's a matter of them trying to put him in a high-profile position in order to justify paying him decent money? Just a thought.

Not that I recall. I presume he was making more than a bench utility would given he was supposed to be the Dragons fullback until his horrific performance against Cronulla in 2016.

Maybe I'm giving Newcastle too much credit, but I don't think they'd be crazy enough to spend so much money on a player that they'd have to justify his pay-packet and play him in a key position. I presume Brown just saw something in Mann's game, is desperate for a dummy half and is prepared to roll the dice on him.

It really speaks volumes of Segeyaro's character that he simply wasn't approached.

Not that I recall. I presume he was making more than a bench utility would given he was supposed to be the Dragons fullback until his horrific performance against Cronulla in 2016.

Maybe I'm giving Newcastle too much credit, but I don't think they'd be crazy enough to spend so much money on a player that they'd have to justify his pay-packet and play him in a key position. I presume Brown just saw something in Mann's game, is desperate for a dummy half and is prepared to roll the dice on him.

It really speaks volumes of Segeyaro's character that he simply wasn't approached.

IIRC it was a commentator during a Dragons game that said Mann had signed for $500k a season and wasn't living up to the expectations. He was another Storm "next big thing" that fizzled out, or, more accurately, never was.

Mann had a big reputation coming through the grades. Kurt was actually with the Knights to start off with, before Melbourne poached him after his first year of 20s football.

Segeyaros best friends with Corey Norman. Enough said on his character

Wow go the dragons hey

1. Corey Norman
2. Jonus Pearson
5. Lachlan Maranta
7. Ben Hunt
15. Sims

Is that a record for ex-broncos in a Sydney team

Wow go the dragons hey

1. Corey Norman
2. Jonus Pearson
5. Lachlan Maranta
7. Ben Hunt
15. Sims

Is that a record for ex-broncos in a Sydney team

you're missing a sims ... they have 2 ex-bronco sims

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Xzei
  • FACTHUNT
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.