NOT CROSS FORUM NRL 2022 Round 13 Discussion

Honestly I don't care... my original comment was about the stupidity of the titans players.

Esan = Idiot
Wallace = idiot

Trying to figure out which one is more of an idiot is pointless
Leave Wallace alone!

Actually I agree and like I said originally the responsibility does fall on Wallace. It wasn't the best example to use, but my concern is that officials tend to intervene and have their say when it isn't really warranted. The play would have gone exactly the same way had Wallace not given Taumalolo a slight shove. Back in the day they'd give teams some leeway in the ruck and if the game started getting into a grind they'd find an appropriate time to call a penalty.

Does that come down to coaching?
Possibly as Holbrook looks to be struggling but could also be just one of those players carried and made to seem better in a stronger team.

Titans remind me of where we were two years ago
An overpaid forward pack that lacked direction from the spine cause it was useless
There is absolutely no leadership at this club. None of the senior players seem capable of stepping up to lead
Who are their senior players??

The squad is so young... it's exactly like the broncos a couple years ago.

Why did the Hammer play tonight? Thought he was in the Maroons squad.

Bennett must be having buyers remorse watching Isaako play each week.

Nah he'll fix him.

Also, I think @Huge should be on the phone to Isaako's manager for a cut of commission. We all know everyone in league reads our forum (it is the best) and @Huge was incredibly successful that even some posters on here started to believe Isaako was just misunderstood and hard done by and was in fact just an unfairly judged diamond in the rough. Obviously, this has resulted in Isaako getting two contracts in the last two months despite (while being clearly a good athlete) being a really average footballer.

I think Holbrook has lost the dressing room.

Either that or he's just not the coach everyone thought he was.

This loss would be even more embarrassing for the Titans than last week IMO. It's a well known fact that Titans have terrible defence and with them having to defend with 11 men for a chunk of the game and having Sexton go off injured and the Broncos being a strong second half team, it took a lot out of them. Broncos played an up-tempo style and they couldn't handle it.

The message for the past week would have been about redeeming themselves. Cowboys had a good chunk of players missing through Origin and suspension, playing at home on the Gold Coast, this was their chance to bounce back and redeem themselves.

They didn't even come close.

This loss would be even more embarrassing for the Titans than last week IMO. It's a well known fact that Titans have terrible defence and with them having to defend with 11 men for a chunk of the game and having Sexton go off injured and the Broncos being a strong second half team, it took a lot out of them. Broncos played an up-tempo style and they couldn't handle it.

The message for the past week would have been about redeeming themselves. Cowboys had a good chunk of players missing through Origin and suspension, playing at home on the Gold Coast, this was their chance to bounce back and redeem themselves.

I really get the feeling that Holbrook doesn’t have enough control of the roster and team lists.

It may well be that there's too many chiefs and not enough Indians at the Titans. Even WB couldn't deal with it in Newcastle. Definitely problems down there.

Titans had two outs and the Cows had 5 outs, 6 if you count Feldt. It was a home game for the Titans and they were smarting from a huge embarrassment handed to them by us last week.

They were sitting so low on the ladder that I thought last night's game was really their make or brake game of the year. I even tipped them on my tipping sheet.

However, I forgot they had poorly coached players like Jamayne in their backline. I forgot (like @The Don) that merely beating us would make their year, the rest of the year didn't really count.

What an absolute omnishambles that whole orginisation is. For sure many of the players earn good coin there, but I'm certain less than half of them actually 'put in' on game day.

I thought the opening period told the story. The Gold Coast received a ridiculous penalty when Esan Marsters charged into a Cowboys player like a rhino and somehow earned a head high which put them on the attack. The Titans had their chances but either panicked and went for all or nothing cross-field kicks or desperation passes when there were tackles up their sleeve.

Even so, it wasn't like the Gold Coast threw that much at the Cowboys defence. The defence may as well position themselves exclusively on the right because the ball is constantly going down Brimson and Kelly's side.

That's if they can even get the ball into the hands of their halves. There was too much emphasis on Clark and him trying to combine with his forwards. Clark could be a decent relief dummy half but his defence is extremely soft which only highlights how bad players like Fotuaika are in that department and his service isn't great either. His one asset is that he can run the ball and play at a higher tempo but he's not Cook and he's not Koroisau.

The frustrating thing is that Sexton has his moments but it's clear he's got the weight of the world on his shoulders. The first order of business would be to find him a six that can take more of the kicking duties and let Sexton work his way into that position. He actually has a really effective grubber kick and he did well to keep the pressure on the Cowboys, unfortunately his team mates let him down and he tries to play beyond himself.

If you look at the Roosters and how they've developed Walker. Sam Walker when he came in was basically forth on the totem pole behind Manu, Hutchinson and Radley. When Walker got the ball it was at times when the team was on the front foot and he had that license to play footy.

At the Titans the best they have is Wallace and god bless Wallace he shouldn't be your most effective ball-player.

The issue is they're not on the same page. They've brought in far too many ring-ins who haven't spent years honing their craft and coming up together on the Gold Coast. When players like Will Smith and Jamayne Isaako are instantly thrust into important positions you know you're in trouble.

As far as what they can do moving forward, they need to accept that 2022 is over and it's time to prepare for 2023. The first move is obviously to get Brimson back at 1 where he's most effective and find a 6 that can take the pressure off of Sexton. I don't think Will Smith is it, but with Fuller out for the season and Turner essentially the same style of player as Smith I'm not sure who they can turn to in the interim. I think they need to start blooding some players like Tony Francis and Tom Powell. I'm not entirely sure how the Colts players are going either but I'd consider giving somebody like Bryant a taste if he's up to it.

My focus would be bringing through players who have a history with the club. The more players who came up playing together learning the Holbrook system the better. Get them on the same page, take your licks but also develop those combinations. So by 2023 you'll be ready to go.

It's a blueprint that's worked for so many teams. Look at Penrith in 2019, look at the Cowboys and the Broncos last year.

Jarrod Wallace actually surprised me with his ball playing last night. Was pretty effective

Oh how quiet Meninga and Tallis are now. They couldn't stop smirking last year when they made the finals taking credit for everything yet absolute silence now. Not even supporting Fifita either.
Tallis was saying a few nights ago that he has nothing to do with the running of the team. He says he just goes to games and has a hotdog and a beer. So much for the big hubub about him mentoring Fifita. He washed his hands of them quick smart.

Luke Thompson is out for the Bulldogs from suffering delayed concussion symptoms.

That’s a blow for the Bulldogs. That’s going to hurt their go forward.

Unread

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.