NOT CROSS FORUM NRL 2022 Round 6 Discussion

I stand corrected, sorry @
Big Pete
Big Pete. I still maintain though that there is absolutely nothing wrong with that tackle and it should not have been penalised.
I don't think it deserved a charge but he clearly drops his hip on Papenhuyzen's ankle to help complete the tackle.

Penalty sufficient.

I don't think it deserved a charge but he clearly drops his hip on Papenhuyzen's ankle to help complete the tackle.

Penalty sufficient.

My point is that it is one of those collisions that are part and parcel of a contact sport. Players get hurt and if he lets go there, no doubt Paps runs up the field and gains more metres. The angles of movement and opposing forces like that happen almost every tackle, every game. If Paps doesn't stay down, its play on. Anyway, I've said my piece more than enough, let's agree to disagree. I don't like where league has gone and this is more my refusal to accept it than anything I suppose.

[st_table="45%"][st_tr][st_td_row="2"]
9527.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Wrighty - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .May 25, 2021
REACTIONS: 3,366
[/st_td][/st_tr][/st_table]
That’s the first time I have ever seen a top ranked nrl team get upset purely because they were arrogant and not taking the opposition seriously
Eels never did normal plays in the first half
Went for studly glory plays right from the beginning and throughout the match did short ten metre restarts
Completely unprofessional behaviour by eels

I want to fold some Kents

My point is that it is one of those collisions that are part and parcel of a contact sport. Players get hurt and if he lets go there, no doubt Paps runs up the field and gains more metres. The angles of movement and opposing forces like that happen almost every tackle, every game. If Paps doesn't stay down, its play on. Anyway, I've said my piece more than enough, let's agree to disagree. I don't like where league has gone and this is more my refusal to accept it than anything I suppose.
That's fine, my main point of contention was calling it an excellent tackle and saying there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. As long as you can see that McInnes effort was clumsy and he has to accept some level of responsibility then we're clear.

Still think it was a massive stretch linking it to Lomax, but anyways...

Was curious to see if I was just yelling at clouds as far as the penalty crackdown is concerned.

Here's the total penalties/set-restarts from the start of the year.

Round 1: 130
Round 2: 131
Round 3: 136
Round 4: 145
Round 5: 148
Round 6: 154

The Bulldogs-Souths game had a record amount of penalties (28 total).

Was curious to see if I was just yelling at clouds as far as the penalty crackdown is concerned.

Here's the total penalties/set-restarts from the start of the year.

Round 1: 130
Round 2: 131
Round 3: 136
Round 4: 145
Round 5: 148
Round 6: 154

The Bulldogs-Souths game had a record amount of penalties (28 total).
What's this crackdown thing, did they announce something?

What an unbelievable result that was for the Tigers, just goes to show any team can be beaten on any day if they don't respect the ball or their opposition

What's this crackdown thing, did they announce something?

Before Round 5, V'landys had a whinge about wrestling and was going to implore the officials to blow more penalties. He cited the form of Ponga and Trbojevic as examples. Last week it seemingly fell on deaf ears but we were well on our way to a record breaking round until the last two games had noticeably smaller penalty counts (11 & 14 respectively).

What an unbelievable result that was for the Tigers, just goes to show any team can be beaten on any day if they don't respect the ball or their opposition

Yet we can't seem to produce these miracle upsets.

9527.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Wrighty - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .May 25, 2021
REACTIONS: 3,373
As a New Zealander I have a question for a broncos poster ( or manly )

What is the comparative strength of the three football codes at the moment in Australia
Afl
League
Union
Ten years ago all we heard on this side of the Ditch was AFL was going gang busters and had money and more and more fans every day
The afl made a New Zealand push around 2013 with an annual match in Wellington between two premier division teams and hired dudes from Australia to go into our schools and get kids interested in Aussie rules
What is happening now in Australia
Is afl still the fastest growing
How is league doing revenue and fan base wise
Is league growing ?
How is union ? Still third cousin to the other two?

9527.jpg
REACTIONS: 3,373

What is the comparative strength of the three football codes at the moment in Australia
Afl
League
Union
Ten years ago all we heard on this side of the Ditch was AFL was going gang busters and had money and more and more fans every day
The afl made a New Zealand push around 2013 with an annual match in Wellington between two premier division teams and hired dudes from Australia to go into our schools and get kids interested in Aussie rules
Is league growing ?

AFL is easily the most supported football code in Australia and is also easily the most professionally run. It has gained a lot of ground in Queensland and New South Wales as well which has traditionally been league heartland. They are almost certainly bringing in a Tasmania team too which of the football codes, will be a first.

The NRL is only played in Queensland and NSW (and Victoria not even though the Storm are perennial finalists). There is a big market in Perth but the NRL just won't go there, so it remains a north-eastern states code really. Victoria has produced like 3 league players in the whole 20 years the Storm have been in existence, so that tells you a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if WA has produced more.

Rugby Union is just about dead in Australia, for men anyway. It has been poorly run and has been seen as an elitest code, this is just never going to work in Australia. Union had a Perth team and pulled out. Union is really, really struggling but the men's and women's world cups are here later this decade, so that may be too little too late.

So in a nutshell, league fans won't like to hear this but AFL has taken over and is the most successful code by far.

1100.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]matiunz - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .July 15, 2013
REACTIONS: 18,096

Afl
League
Union
Is league growing ?
AFL is King in VIC, SA and WA. There is a big push to try to make it the ’National Game’
Biggest problem it has now is growth, it’s only really has NT and Tas as areas to expand to (which aren’t particularly large markets) as the world outside of Aus just isn’t interested-despite what their hype guys will try and tell you. There was an attempt to test the waters in NZ but the appetite just isn’t there and I don’t think there ever will be. Participation is often touted as successful but there’s a few dodgy practises such as counting a kid who does an afl session for PE as an AFL ‘participant’. They are more proactive in expansion, they looked at the long term plan with GWS and Gold Coast but the suns in particular are a hell of a financial drain and haven’t had any success since inception.
Crowds are better in AFL but it is a much better product live- I guess for you the best comparison is cricket, fine to watch on TV but you see much more at the ground,

NRL is king in NSW and QLD but is kind of complacent with trying to consolidate its territory. Expansion really is a bit of a mess, teams have left Adelaide and Perth which could have grown the game, NZ is the poor cousin and Melbourne despite on field success hasn’t really dented the Melbourne sports market and hasn’t led to Victorian developed players in any real numbers. TV money is it’s greatest success and the pathways systems are top notch.

Union has been mismanaged massively and does struggle to compete, it is similar to league in NZ with its accessibility in schools being a big hurdle - it’s generally the private school game that many parents have their kids turning to the ‘gentler’ AFL.
The club scene in Sydney is actually pretty well set up, I play subbies rugby the playing population is made up more of expat NZers/SA/UK/Irish/PI than Australians generally the organisational side is much better set up than what I was playing in NZ

One of the biggest growing sports is Soccer, 40 odd % of Sydney and Melbourne in particular are either overseas born or have a parent born overseas- many of which from soccer mad countries. Also with league seen as a violent sport more and more parents are converting

This year yet?

9527.jpg
REACTIONS: 3,375
That’s fabulous
Thanks very much Sproj and Matiunz

4734.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Aman - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .April 9, 2016
REACTIONS: 10,137
I've lived in Melbourne 12 years and yet to meet someone who's not kiwi that watches league.

Union is as popular as ghandi was with the British, especially since the Wallabies went to shit.

You can't bump into someone without them trying to convert you to their AFL team if you dont have one.

Soccer is picking up mostly because of large middle eastern migrants, Lebanese, africans and just a gentler sport in general to get your kids into it.

Cricket is everymans sport and still the national game but doesn't have that tribalism that AFL does.

Basketball is also growing mainly because of the popularity of the NBA and its revamped national NBL comp being steady. Basketball has a huge casual player and fan base in Aus but not sure if that translates to viewership. Think most people just follow the NBA and then unterest peaks for Olympics etc. Aus bbl team is getting strong.

Tennis is also huge. Melbourne open etc, elitist love it and it translates nicely into watercooler talk in offices during major tournaments. Ash Barty is a national star and massive name over here right now. Tennis has a massive participation boom because of aging millennial taking it up for fun.

Golf goes alright and almost everyone I know, young or old is keen to go a few rounds.

Cricket
AFL
League
Soccer
basketball
Tennis
Golf

Union

4734.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Aman - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .April 9, 2016
REACTIONS: 10,137
Sorry one last one - MMA is getting more and more popular as well. Lots of home grown talent and very accessible plus fits well with drinking culture over here.

I disagree.

It was an awkward tackle and Papenhuyzen's ankle clearly got caught up in it so he's entitled to be in pain. This isn't like Cherry-Evans realising he could get a crusher penalty and having a giggle afterwards.
So will it be a hip drop penalty everytime a player gets their foot twisted in a tackle now?

Before Round 5, V'landys had a whinge about wrestling and was going to implore the officials to blow more penalties. He cited the form of Ponga and Trbojevic as examples. Last week it seemingly fell on deaf ears but we were well on our way to a record breaking round until the last two games had noticeably smaller penalty counts (11 & 14 respectively).

The NRL can have these crackdowns as often as they like. The coaches are calling their bluff.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Johnny92
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Manifesto
  • BroncosAlways
  • simplythebest
  • Strop
  • Broncosgirl
  • bb_gun
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.