NRL 2023 Round 1 Discussion

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
What was your final assessment of Trindall @BroncsFan?

It came across to me like the Sharks didn't trust him with much. So they kept rucking it up the middle and if an opportunity was on they'd play to Moylan more often than not. When Trindall did have an opportunity it seemed like they kept his instructions very simple, either put the bomb up, play to Nikora or play to Kennedy. It made life extremely easy for the South Sydney defence who looked far more threatening with the ball.

Maybe he's just that limited but I think he needed to take more ownership. Had to kick low and behind the line against Latrell, had to get Ramien more quality ball and take the line on more than four times.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Trindall went alright, but I see him more as a playmaker at 6 rather than the game manager that we need at 7.

he kicked a 40/20, but pretty much every other kick was just the stock kick to the corner falling 15m from the goal line.

we can say that we just need a Chad Townsend style halfback, that feeds the ball to the rest… except we were spoiled last year with Reyno’s elite kicking game.

his kicks to the corner have hang time that allows the chase to get there whilst also being within the 10m line… a team rucking it out from their goal line is a whole different proposition to rucking it out from the 20m line. Not to mention the distance that Reynolds gets on his long kicking in general.

He’s legit the 2nd best kicker in the game behind Cleary, that’s what we’re trying to replace in a couple years.

prior to Reynolds we had Milf, BHunt and PWall putting up nothing kicks to the 15-20m… putting no pressure on the opposition and failing to help us win the field position battle.

In the previous era of NRL, cookie cutter kicking to the corner was fine, because you had full penalties all over the field helping you get field position… in the current Rugba Leeeeeeg era you get 6 agains and refs that just don’t call penalties, so long kicking is vitally important.. hence why Cleary is immortal status because he can kick it 70m on the full, but not really do much else

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
What was your final assessment of Trindall @BroncsFan?

It came across to me like the Sharks didn't trust him with much. So they kept rucking it up the middle and if an opportunity was on they'd play to Moylan more often than not. When Trindall did have an opportunity it seemed like they kept his instructions very simple, either put the bomb up, play to Nikora or play to Kennedy. It made life extremely easy for the South Sydney defence who looked far more threatening with the ball.

Maybe he's just that limited but I think he needed to take more ownership. Had to kick low and behind the line against Latrell, had to get Ramien more quality ball and take the line on more than four times.
I don’t think my opinion changed too much… I can see that he has some potential as a playmaker who can create some points, but if he’s meant to be a 7 then I just don’t see it.

the game plan was obvious to put the attack through Moylan and really simplify Trindall’s game.

he had the nice cut out to Katoa which looked 50/50 as forward, but the actual Katoa try just looked like him slotting into a Fitz’ backline movement… which looked extremely slick.

second half he was pretty much invisible… couldn’t really take control of the game and get his team on the front foot. I think if his 40/20 was in the second half when they were trying to fight their way back into it I would’ve been more impressed.

we as the broncos are trying to become a top 4 team… I don’t see Trindall as a starting half in a Top 4 team at either 6 or 7, but he could fill a depth role at 6 if needed in a top team

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
So, the HIA calls from the independent doctor are confirmed to be inconsistent. Walker stayed down just as long as Staggs, the only difference being that his teammates started a bit of argy to cause the ref to pause play. When Wade Graham was sent off for a high and dangerous tackle, then common sense should dictate that his "victim" also be assessed for damages caused. Ponga got up after his collision and was forced from the field for Newcastle, and yet Walker can stay down and stay on and receive a penalty. Compare this to the Capewell incident ...

The NRL: Consistently inconsistent

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
So, the HIA calls from the independent doctor are confirmed to be inconsistent. Walker stayed down just as long as Staggs, the only difference being that his teammates started a bit of argy to cause the ref to pause play. When Wade Graham was sent off for a high and dangerous tackle, then common sense should dictate that his "victim" also be assessed for damages caused. Ponga got up after his collision and was forced from the field for Newcastle, and yet Walker can stay down and stay on and receive a penalty. Compare this to the Capewell incident ...

The NRL: Consistently inconsistent
Never... all the incidents across the weekend thus far have been completely different and the officiating has been completely fair, impartial and totally independent

Explosion Reaction GIF

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
Never... all the incidents across the weekend thus far have been completely different and the officiating has been completely fair, impartial and totally independent

Explosion Reaction GIF
Ah shit, sorry, I forgot that they are professionals and their job is reliant on their integrity and thus they are beyond bias and thus reproach.

My bad.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I don’t think my opinion changed too much… I can see that he has some potential as a playmaker who can create some points, but if he’s meant to be a 7 then I just don’t see it.

the game plan was obvious to put the attack through Moylan and really simplify Trindall’s game.

he had the nice cut out to Katoa which looked 50/50 as forward, but the actual Katoa try just looked like him slotting into a Fitz’ backline movement… which looked extremely slick.

second half he was pretty much invisible… couldn’t really take control of the game and get his team on the front foot. I think if his 40/20 was in the second half when they were trying to fight their way back into it I would’ve been more impressed.

we as the broncos are trying to become a top 4 team… I don’t see Trindall as a Top 4 team half… at either 6 or 7, but he could fill a depth role at 6 if needed in a top team

I will say, he is one of the options I'd be tracking, not the only one. I actually really like Madden. Additionally, if I was pushed to pick one halfback not at out club currently for post-Reynolds, it is Lachlan Lam, I really rate that guy.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I will say, he is one of the options I'd be tracking, not the only one. I actually really like Madden. Additionally, if I was pushed to pick one halfback not at out club currently for post-Reynolds, it is Lachlan Lam, I really rate that guy.

while we're talking about who to sign post Reynolds... Reynolds himself is talking about signing a new contract after his current one is up. he thinks he can go on for another year or 2 after his current contract.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I like Lam, but I feel he's more a 6 than a 7 as well.

It's all about kicking game for me when it comes to 7.

I've been waiting years for a good long kicker... not even an elite long kicker, just good... and then we land Adam fucking Reynolds and all of a sudden all our talented young players with potential start looking good, because their hard work is rewarded with a proper end to the set.

I can't do a souths and be happy with going from Reynolds to Ilias... that bloke has no long kicking game... he's a Pwall regen... but they've got Cook, Latrell and Cody creating points and they get penalties out of their own end, so it doesn't really matter to them... plus they had Reynolds for 10yr already, so they don't really know what it's like to play without a kicker for years on end.

I want us to go and hunt down the best long kicker in the game and sign him... surely there's an 18yr old in Qld that can kick a fucking ball.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I just finished watching the NSW Cup game.

Manly led Canterbury 16-0 after scoring 4 tries in the opening 20 minutes only to lose 36-16. Fulton turned the ball over off a kick-off and from that point on it was virtually all Bulldogs.

Reynolds led the way to make it 16-all going into half-time. Then Oloapu did the rest and had a really strong second half, setting up two tries before scoring one himself.

Did you catch the game @theshed?

Unread

Active Now

• TonyTheJugoslav
  • bazza
  • Astro
  • Alec
  • Lozza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.