CROSS FORUM NRL 2023 Round 26 Discussion

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
What do you guys make of the Eels season? 12-12 with a positive differential, but unless something miraculous happens they'll miss the finals.

Seems like a real transitional year and considering all the drama surrounding Dylan Brown they did well to avoid a bottom four finish. They've managed to lock both him and Moses up long-term too which is huge considering Reynolds, DCE, Keary, Hunt, Foran, C. Walker, Townsend etc. can't be too far off from retirement.

It may not mean much in 2024, but 2025 they could find themselves with one of the strongest cores.

I don't think they're that far off. In fact I think they would have played finals if their outside backs didn't play so poorly.
Depth and lacking 1 more strike back are holding back parra imo.

To be fair not many teams can cover well for a star high priced spine player being out injured or suspended but parra seem to be one of the weaker teams for depth. Asi is just plugging a hole rather than contributing and they need to sort out some sort of consistency at hooker.

If i was in the Parra recruitment and retention area i would be looking for some ow hanging fruit for other clubs for a centre or winger (even fullback if Gutho would move to centre)...someone like Jesse Arthurs, Xavier Savage, Connor Tracey type player who is not guaranteed a starting spot.

Penisini has some class moments but is hardly in the conversation for top 5 centres but he does a job, likewise Sivo can obviously find the try line, just need 1 more decent back to support those 2 and then throw Simonsson/Russel in the other spot. Again, they seem to have poor depth when a starting player goes down...Blake is an absolute spud and they will be couting down his contract ending.

Forwards go ok but i still don't think they get value for Matterson, looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane for me with him but is not a huge problem vs. all round depth, hooker and another NRL quality backline player.

I do think Arthur was fortunate they made the GF last year otherwise he would have a few louder voices questioning his future.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Is lasts nights game worth watching? Or just the highlights? I was in bed early for work and didn't get to see it.
Anyone got the time stamp for Luai being injured? Wouldn't mind watching that 3 or 4 hundred times.

His dislocation was nasty .
He was reaching out to score and got his arm tangled up with another player who was trying to stop him , it looked pretty violent .The angle and the force applied to his shoulder looked very painful . He wasn`t smiling or sledging as he walked off which leads me to believe it was fcked pretty badly . LOL .

JayPee

JayPee

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2017

To be fair not many teams can cover well for a star high priced spine player being out injured or suspended but parra seem to be one of the weaker teams for depth. Asi is just plugging a hole rather than contributing and they need to sort out some sort of consistency at hooker.

If i was in the Parra recruitment and retention area i would be looking for some ow hanging fruit for other clubs for a centre or winger (even fullback if Gutho would move to centre)...someone like Jesse Arthurs, Xavier Savage, Connor Tracey type player who is not guaranteed a starting spot.

Penisini has some class moments but is hardly in the conversation for top 5 centres but he does a job, likewise Sivo can obviously find the try line, just need 1 more decent back to support those 2 and then throw Simonsson/Russel in the other spot. Again, they seem to have poor depth when a starting player goes down...Blake is an absolute spud and they will be couting down his contract ending.

Forwards go ok but i still don't think they get value for Matterson, looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane for me with him but is not a huge problem vs. all round depth, hooker and another NRL quality backline player.

I do think Arthur was fortunate they made the GF last year otherwise he would have a few louder voices questioning his future.
They are paying Blake a big contract aren't they? Getting rid of that may help. They shouldn't have paid Sivo so much. Arthurs would do the same job for half the price. Might even be better.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
Is lasts nights game worth watching? Or just the highlights? I was in bed early for work and didn't get to see it.
Anyone got the time stamp for Luai being injured? Wouldn't mind watching that 3 or 4 hundred times.

26th minute according to the play by play on NRL.com

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
They are paying Blake a big contract aren't they? Getting rid of that may help. They shouldn't have paid Sivo so much. Arthurs would do the same job for half the price. Might even be better.
Yeah, they got fleeced by Blake, something crazy like 600k.

I'm not sure what Sivo is on but at least he can get the ball down. Agree though, there are options out there that are much better than Sivo/Russel/Simonsson...

The Who

Silvertails

Doesn'tmatta is one of the NRL's favourites and gets favourable calls and largess over non-western Sydney clubs. For those out of NSW, the west is where all the attention is focussed. Because it is a population growth centre with a lot of electorates, politicians fawn over it. The NRL would love Doesn'tmatta to be successful because it has a massive fan base. Pollies have provided taxpayer monies to build two (not just one) new stadiums since 1986. Contrast that to Brookie which has never had a complete rebuild.
Don't be sucked in with the Parramatta 'Cinderella' story; they don't deserve it.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Doesn'tmatta is one of the NRL's favourites and gets favourable calls and largess over non-western Sydney clubs. For those out of NSW, the west is where all the attention is focussed. Because it is a population growth centre with a lot of electorates, politicians fawn over it. The NRL would love Doesn'tmatta to be successful because it has a massive fan base. Pollies have provided taxpayer monies to build two (not just one) new stadiums since 1986. Contrast that to Brookie which has never had a complete rebuild.
Don't be sucked in with the Parramatta 'Cinderella' story; they don't deserve it.
@ParraMania

Brett Da Man LeMan

Brett Da Man LeMan

QCup Player
Aug 11, 2023
26th minute according to the play by play on NRL.com
The Simpsons Kiss GIF by FOX International Channels

Was it to deny a try too? Glorious.

AAPENNY

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
Not sure what any of that consipracy theory and falling for a parramatta Cinderella story has to do with my post.

I just listed what i think their weaknesses are.

If the dastardly NRL wants the Eels to be successful they have done a pretty bad job of it over the last 35 odd years...

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
I'm not sure what Sivo is on but at least he can get the ball down. Agree though, there are options out there that are much better than Sivo/Russel/Simonsson...

Scored 4 tries last night .
Dunno about other options that can / would do that .

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
The Simms brothers , RCG`s cousins also played for Fiji ??

Brocko

Brocko

NRL Captain
Contributor
Feb 23, 2014
Hynes out for Sharks on Sunday.

I think we can kiss goodbye the chance of finishing first and playing Cronulla week 1

Unread

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Bucking Beads
  • BroncosAlways
  • Mr Fourex
  • MrMoore
  • Dexter
  • Manofoneway
  • Lostboy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • broncos4life
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Ozired
  • Hammerman47
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.