NRL, AFL, SOCCER income from gambling

S

Spoon

QCup Player
May 24, 2015
Not sure if this has been posted before but I am sure the conspiracy theorists will love it. The first part of the article is about soccer but then it soon gets to NRL.

So basically the more people bet on the games the bigger cut the NRL get. People are more likely to bet on close games than lopsided affairs.

Is it really a coincidence that the team behind on the scoreboard seems to get a run of penalties/6 agains? Does this give the NRL a big incentive to have an effect on the outcome of games?

NRL, AFL, cricket have deals with bookies​

Concerns about the relationship between sporting codes and bookmakers are not limited to soccer.

Four Corners has seen agreements between bookmakers and the NRL, AFL and Cricket Australia.

None of these codes disclose in their financial statements how much their deals with international gambling companies are worth.

But the NRL told Four Corners it earned $50 million from agreements with bookmakers last year, while the AFL is understood to have made between $30-$40 million.

The NRL earns a larger commission on riskier bets, such as "same game multis", which allow punters to bet on multiple outcomes within a single game.

In a statement, the NRL said its agreement with bookmakers allows it to limit the range of games available for betting in Australia.

"This is done to safeguard the integrity of the sport and such agreements obviously restrict commercial outcomes," it said.

"Wagering makes up a relatively small, but important revenue stream which is reinvested into the game's integrity, education, wellbeing, and participation programs."

Yeah heard this on the radio yesterday morning. meant to find something online but haven't really had time.

I knew that the NRL allowed betting sponsorships and even advertised the betting agency's and promoted their odds / specials ... but actually having a commission like deal in place was a massive shock, although we shouldn't be surprised given where the bloke that runs the NRL comes from.

this deal with the betting companies is dodgy as **** and actually casts suspicion on the refs and Annesley, given how Annesley has defended some of the "incompetent" officiating this year (and previous years.)

it also lends credence to the "conspiracy theory" that the NRL manage games and manipulate results (through the refs, new rules etc). because it is in the NRL's best interest for certain teams to win

Exactly, how much of that revenue is betting income??

I heard years ago about some suspicious activity on some of the lower div soccer games in Aus. Seems whoever was telling me was on the money. They actually even made mention of there'll be one or two shady looking dudes on the sideline that are just taking notes and not engaged at all with the game itself (from a supporters/tribalism perspective).

I heard years ago about some suspicious activity on some of the lower div soccer games in Aus. Seems whoever was telling me was on the money. They actually even made mention of there'll be one or two shady looking dudes on the sideline that are just taking notes and not engaged at all with the game itself (from a supporters/tribalism perspective).

Data scouts from the betting companies :

'It's disturbing': This suburban football club had no idea international gamblers could place bets on their games

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06...t-deals-football-australia-gambling/102445424

Yeah, I read that and that's what prompted me to comment. Though from memory some of the more nefarious dudes were down trying to match fix. There'd be lots of weird betting from China/Eastern europe on these absolute nothing games.

Didn't realise it was the same article.

But yeah, that sounds like the dodgy shit that is prevalent in sub continental cricket like John Johnny Johnson bowling a no ball on the fourth ball of the sixth over.

Exactly, how much of that revenue is betting income??

It would be a lot, in Game 1 it felt like every bookie was throwing up promos.

Didn't have a bet myself but it was all the rage.

We only hear about breeches that happen with Australian Bookmakers but with international ones they could be rife with it, suspicious bets would be harder to track to players.

Active Now

• Evander
  • Bish
  • GCBRONCO
  • Culhwch
  • Financeguy
  • sooticus
  • leon.bott
  • Santa
  • Harry Sack
  • Jedhead
  • Morkel
  • Sproj
  • kiwi2
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Battler
  • maddo
  • HarryAllan7
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • The Don
  • FACTHUNT
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.