NRL bans shoulder charges

Im glad it was let go but idk how they did let it go, it was definitely a shoulder charge and should have definitely been pulled up

so what do we think about sandows supposed *not* shoulder charge last night?

My first thought was it looked like a shoulder charge, and while it looked like he sort of tried to wrap one of his arms around at the end, his initial contact appeared to be all shoulder, and i would have thought it should have been a penatly.

His left arm "kinda" looks like it's attempting a tackle...but for me I thought shoulder charge when I saw it live and I haven't changed that opinion after countless replays.

That said, I'm more than happy along with 99% of league fans that it was let go.

bill harrigans come out and said it should have been a penalty (i know hes not the ref boss anymore), and theres a whole article about it where they basically say hes wrong and that it was a fantastic tackle lol.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...ink/story-fn2mcuj6-1226597851007#.UUJ2RRwT_2F

"Despite compelling evidence that suggested otherwise, Harrigan concluded Sandow's challenge was a shoulder charge. The fact Sandow wrapped his left arm around Morris as he made initial contact was ignored.

Eels coach Ricky Stuart praised for the referees for not calling a shoulder charge.

"If that was classified as a shoulder charge, we may as well go and get some of those tags and put them outside our shorts and play Oztag,'' Stuart said."

sandow in no way wrapped his left arm around morris when he made initial contact.

i guess that having your arm cocked against your body, despite being specifically described in the shoulder charge rule, doesnt mean anything.

Last edited:
Mind you, I saw about 10 tackles in round 1 that were almost identical to this Sandow "tackle" that were let go too.

I'm fine with that interpretation. For me, the rule should just exist for the "old-style" SBW tackles he used to trot out 400 times a game when he was with the Bulldogs if it has to exist at all (which for the record, at the risk of being called a skirt by Coxy, I don't think it needs to - simply handing out heavy suspensions to the ones that go wrong would have cleaned them up to the level required pretty quick)

Under the letter of the law it was a shoulder charge. The fact they're showing some commonsense and leeway in their interpretation is good.

I'm beginning to think that the NRL, refs, and coaches have a different definition for shoulder charge.

Under the letter of the law it was a shoulder charge. The fact they're showing some commonsense and leeway in their interpretation is good.
so adding grey areas is good now?

if youre going to ban the shoulder charge, BAN THE SHOULDER CHARGE! dont be all 'oh that one was ok because noone got hurt, but that one isnt ok because he had an angry look on his face' - make a rule and stick to it.

I don't know if this has been covered already but what happens if you shoulder charge in attack?

so adding grey areas is good now?

if youre going to ban the shoulder charge, BAN THE SHOULDER CHARGE! dont be all 'oh that one was ok because noone got hurt, but that one isnt ok because he had an angry look on his face' - make a rule and stick to it.

Applying common sense != grey area.

thats called a hitup. a shoulder charge is made by the defending team.

Yep that's about what I expected, I'll pass.

Yep that's about what I expected, I'll pass.

What exactly do you want? He's quoting the official rules of the game. When it comes to attack, there is no such thing as a shoulder charge.

Active Now

• Browny
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.