NRL bans shoulder charges

So are the penalties increased or is it like yawnion that you can't do it at all?

perhaps if they rewarded leg tackles it might help as well

I hope SBW does the biggest shoulder charge of his career on some Melbourne player and gets suspended for 16 games.

Come now, Mister Nash. Getting rid of the shoulder charge would mean getting rid of solid hits, which is one of the games most entertaining features.

It wouldn't be so bad if we still saw those old school, bone-crunching tackles that Tunza used to make, but we don't, so now basically everything is just going to be a wrestle-a-thon, which is boring and can actually end up being more dangerous than a shoulder charge in certain instances.

Banning shoulder charges is stupid.

In light of all the concussion debate (especially in NFL) I think any contact with the head should be dealt with harshly. But banning the shoulder charge is not the way to go about protecting players.

wow this is so fucking stupid, if a shoulder charge goes wrong and there's contact with the head punish them accordingly but don't take the shoulder charge out of the game. I hope this doesn't end up like the rule in union where people are penalised for some of the softest hits ive ever seen just because they didn't wrap there arms.

Not a huge fan of banning the shoulder charge completely but I do think that if a players takes the risk and attempts a shoulder charge then they should be punished. Poor form from ARLC who have had a shocking day IMO.

After the whole Dean Young incident it was only a matter of time.

No brainer - can't believe people could argue against this. You've been left behind if so.

The world has moved on from the 'she'll be right m8' attitude to head injuries. They are a serious problem. It's no sign of toughness to play on with a concussion - it's idiocy and irresponsibility at the hands of the club.

Let's be honest anyway, a shoulder charge rarely gets anyone flush as it is.

Last edited:
M1c, why can't the punishment be severe without complete banning?

Would Inglis tackle Dean Young like that knowing if he stuffs it up he's facing 16 weeks? Don't think so

Shoulder charges were the only thing spicing up the monotonous wrestling defence.

Active Now

• lynx000
  • Justwin
  • Bucking Beads
  • Browny
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • Strop
  • sooticus
  • Galah
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.