NRL bans shoulder charges

Are we talking about the hit on Flannery here? there wasn't any rotating of the hips or shoulder there as far as i could see and that shouldnt be pulled up as a penalty under the new rules.
Agreed, that is not a shoulder charge under the current new rules, and shouldn't be. However, the one immediately after that is a textbook example of what they want abolished...

Agreed, that is not a shoulder charge under the current new rules, and shouldn't be. However, the one immediately after that is a textbook example of what they want abolished...
agreed.

by the rules, as i read them, it shouldnt be deemed a shoulder charge. it IS a shoulder charge though, thats the thing - and thats why i think this new rule is going to cause a whole lot of trouble.

I must be reading a totally different rule then. Because Williams made no attempt to tackle, grab or hold the player, but initiated contact with his shoulder by turning his hips and shoulder towards the ball carrier.

But hey, when it does get penalised I'll say "yep, just as the law says" and you skirts will cry about it. As you have been since they announced the rule change.

the thing im saying though is that you cant say he didnt attempt to tackle him, because he had his arm stretched out as if to wrap around him - he cant help it if the guy he hits goes flying. same way inglis' one in the all stars match was let go because he had his arm out and it touched the player.

also what im saying is that why do they even mention the tucking of the arm if that actually has nothing to do with what they consider a shoulder charge? if all that matters is the shoulder-first contact and no actual 'grab' of the player straight after the contact, why do they mention the arm tuck?

look i think that if they are outlawing the shoulder charge then it should be penalised, no doubt. what im getting at is that their definition of a shoulder charge, like nearly every other stupid rule in the nrl, leaves a very big grey area that is open to various interpretations.

And like most of the rules, you seem to invent grey areas where the practical interpretation of them is clear as day.

I must be reading a totally different rule then. Because Williams made no attempt to tackle, grab or hold the player, but initiated contact with his shoulder by turning his hips and shoulder towards the ball carrier.

But hey, when it does get penalised I'll say "yep, just as the law says" and you skirts will cry about it. As you have been since they announced the rule change.
You can't call anyone else a skirt about wanting to keep shoulder charges mate. Much less when you ride a bike like yours! :finger:

"practical interpretation" is where grey areas come about though. see the obstruction rule or the grounding rule from the last few years. if they cleared it up and made it black and white in the rules then we'd be fine.

the problem is that they never do.

again - why even mention the "tucking of the arm" if it actually has nothing to do with the rule?

YAWN! Why are you still discussing this?

I'd say its less of a conversation and more of a repetition. Time to move on.

Lets see how the refs rule over the entire round.

were any pulled up last night? i didnt see the full match.

i see sonny bill made a fair few tackles too, 26 iirc? and zero shoulder charges? thought he couldnt tackle guys? lol

Last edited:
Who are your least favourite players?

David Stagg
Sam Thaiday
Corey Norman
Peter Wallace
Josh Hoffman
Scott Prince
Josh McGuire
Andrew McCullough
Ben Hunt
Ben Hannant
Jack Reed
Lachlan Maranta
Corey Parker
Justin Hodges
Mitchell Dodds
Scott Anderson
Matt Gillett

i see sonny bill made a fair few tackles too, 26 iirc? and zero shoulder charges? thought he couldnt tackle guys? lol

Technically speaking, his tackles weren't that good, he was left behind a lot of the time. Either that or joining in as 2nd / 3rd man. I think he only made a few where he made contact using his shoulder...

so what do we think about sandows supposed *not* shoulder charge last night?

definitely shouldve been a penalty IMO. his hips and shoulder were rotated. his arm was cocked. he didnt attempt to tackle until he had hit the player, bounced off, and landed.

directly led to a try for his team too. round 2 and theyre already getting it wrong.

Attachments

• sandow.jpg
    sandow.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 71

Active Now

• johnny plath
  • Broncs1459
  • sooticus
  • Battler
  • ChewThePhatt
  • FACTHUNT
  • ivanhungryjak
  • MrMoore
  • Broncosgirl
  • Swordfish
  • Stix
  • Wild Horse
  • LGH
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Harry Sack
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Big Del
  • Manifesto
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.