NRL Broncos in danger of missing top eight

Harby

Harby

Jun 10, 2012
Broncos face a tough challenge heading into the finals, coming up against top teams such as Canterbury, Melbourne and Manly. Currently situated on 26 points, it would appear that teams would require a minimum of 30/32 points to make the cut. With 5 games remaining till regular seasons end, can the Broncos overcome adversity to cement their spot in the top eight?

Broncos run into the finals:

Rd 22: Canberra Away
Rd 23: Canterbury-Bankstown Away
Rd 24: Melbourne Home
Rd 25: Manly Away
Rd 26: Penrith Home

I will sit on the fence with Canberra. They can either be brilliant or pathetic at home. Broncos will struggle on current form to beat both Canterbury and Manly away, while their Melbourne clash is interesting, as both teams are out of form. However, one cannot rule out Melbourne against a depleted Broncos side. They should be able to overcome Penrith.

So, will they achieve the two/three games necessary to keep their season alive?

Discuss.

fyi this is pretty much all covered/dicussed in the "our realistic chances" thread.

We won't make the 8 and won't win another game this year. It's all over.?

I like he said the NRL broncos so as to be sure we didn't think he meant Denver.

We'll be right. When was the last time a 32 point cut off was required?

Come on down David Middleton.

We have to good a roster to finish outside the 8.

I'm confident we'll make the finals, I just hope we don't fall in and make up the numbers.

I'm confident we'll make the finals, I just hope we don't fall in and make up the numbers.

A win in the finals would be great for our young team if we can't go all the way.

Just had a fiddle with the NRL ladder predictor on the NRL.com and it's a possibility that we could miss the finals if don't win any games but it we win one game then it may come down to for and against.

If we don't win any games, we don't deserve to be in the finals anyway.

Why not? It was acceptable from 2001-2005 and 2007-2009....

I agree though. I'd rather miss the finals than just make up the numbers and be bundled out. From my calculations 30 points guarantees us a spot, 28 we are a chance but only if we lose by about 1 point every game.

We weren't exactly easybeats in 2008 and 2009 either.

Top 8 is always going to reward mediocrity. I'd rather see our side rewarded than say a side like Canberra because I know and the Broncos know that they're better than that.

I understand that missing the finals sends a stronger message that the effort that season was unacceptable but I'd prefer to see these Broncos get a finals game under their belts, even if they're still in a slump because I believe they'll be better for the experience.

And yeah, the only season we would have benefitted from not making it there would have been 03. Bennett still made all the right changes to land us a premiership in 06 off the back of it, so it's not worth the bellyaching.

Why not? It was acceptable from 2001-2005 and 2007-2009....

I agree though. I'd rather miss the finals than just make up the numbers and be bundled out. From my calculations 30 points guarantees us a spot, 28 we are a chance but only if we lose by about 1 point every game.

2008 we were on our way to a premiership if not for one pretender

Go easy on Harby. For a first contribution it was a good post and there's good discussion on it. Doesn't really matter that a similar topic is being discussed.

Welcome to the forums mate!

And FWIW I'm pretty sure we'll make the finals, but whether we're competitive or not depends entirely on the next month of football.

Unread

Active Now

• Lozza
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.